Arizona's new illegal alien law.....

Started by NM_Shooter, April 26, 2010, 09:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Quote from: Pox Eclipse on May 13, 2010, 04:26:02 PM
Quote from: NM_Shooter on May 13, 2010, 03:02:49 PM
Hmmm.... I don't want anybody to regulate the sale of insurance anywhere.  I want the feds and the state out of it.  I don't want stronger regulations in ANYTHING.  I do believe that regulation by form of certification is required (such as FDA purity of pharmaceuticals, certification for physicians and health facilities, FAA safety, highway standards), but I oppose regulation generally, and especially as it applies to commerce trade.  A good example is the methanol crap that that  is mandated as an additive in all gas here in NM. 

I don't like being told what I have to buy and from whom I have to buy it.  I like even less being told that I have to buy it for someone else.

That is fine, you have 50 states to choose from, there must be one that is more or less to your liking. But individual states have a constitutional right to regulate insurance within their own state.  If you want to live in a state that allows rescission (cancelling an insurance policy when someone gets an expensive disease), I agree, that should be your choice.  I disagree that the federal government has the constitutional power to force all states to allow rescission, just because your state does.

And that's ok as long as you also disagree that the Federal Government has the power to determine for the states what they must accept also.

The idea of the 'make regular' clause was to ensure that states did not rip each other off with restrictions and/or taxes placed on other states that produce a competitive product.  Thus it would be in the Fed power to insist that a state must allow an insurance company located in one state to operate in another equally.  This is not the case today as many states restrict what insurance companies can or cannot operate within their state lines.

But as far as illegal immigration goes the Federal Government has an obligation to uphold their laws, if they do not then the states must take action which is what AZ did

Pox Eclipse

Quote from: MountainDon on May 13, 2010, 05:07:30 PM

Sort of drifting away from the topic as listed, but why would anyone want to live in a state that allows insurance companies the power to willy-nilly cancel a policy?  Most companies, it would seem, be all to happy to be able to do that.

Why indeed!  Until the recent health care reform bill, most insurance companies practiced rescission to reduce their liabilities:  Insurance industry will end rescission in May

As far as regulation of the insurance industry within a geographic area, there is no benefit to anyone when the list to choose from is artificially restricted. That is, no body benefits except for the companies who have less competition.

I agree. The states do not artificially restrict companies from selling insurance.  State monopolies of health insurance are contrived by the insurance companies, not the state governments.  Health insurance companies are exempt from federal antitrust laws.  Still think deregulation is a good idea?

NM_Shooter

Quote from: Pox Eclipse on May 13, 2010, 05:30:28 PM
I agree. The states do not artificially restrict companies from selling insurance.  State monopolies of health insurance are contrived by the insurance companies, not the state governments.  Health insurance companies are exempt from federal antitrust laws.  Still think deregulation is a good idea?

Not accurate.  Insurance companies still are held accountable to the Sherman Anti-Trust Act, to the extent that such business is not regulated by State law. 

Paragraph 5 : http://law.jrank.org/pages/8497/McCarran-Ferguson-Act-1945.html

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Pox Eclipse

Quote from: NM_Shooter on May 14, 2010, 08:37:31 AM

Insurance companies still are held accountable to the Sherman Anti-Trust Act, to the extent that such business is not regulated by State law.

That's a loophole you could drive an ambulance through.  In what state are insurance companies subject to the Sherman Anti-Trust Act?

NM_Shooter

Which ones are not allowed to apply the Sherman Anti Trust law?

peternap

WE GOT MEXICANS!

I was trying hard to get out of work today and decided to go in search of inland Mexicans. I found a bunch. Not many spoke English and none of them wanted their picture taken. If you want to get rid of illegals, start taking pictures ;D They disappear fast.

I tried my new low carry mount and need to work on technique some. :(

http://vimeo.com/11771152

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

Arizona Motivation?

QuoteOperation "Streamline Taxpayer Money into the Private Prison Industry"

The $67 million edifice that is the Evo DeConcini (former Arizona Attorney General) Federal Courthouse in Tucson stands as a monument to corruption.

Every weekday at 1 p.m., around 75 undocumented immigrants, freshly caught by the BP, are paraded into a cavernous courtroom on the third floor. The clinking from their manacles and leg irons echoes around the room while they are led to their seats, all of them wearing the same dirty clothes they were wearing in the desert when they were picked up by BP. More clinking as each stands when their name was called, as they each answered "presente." Then clinking again as they were taken, five at a time, to stand in front of the Judge Tom Ferraro to plead guilty, in a simultaneous "Si," for entering the country illegally.

Thus is immigration criminalized by a vulgar display of inhumanity.

The maximum sentences, as explained by the judge, are six months in jail and a $5,000 fine. After more information is imparted to them by the judge, five at a time, the migrants are asked if they signed their plea agreements, to which they all answer "Si" simultaneously. To this Judge Ferraro replies, "All plead guilty." Any who incurred legal infractions during previous stays are given more time in jail.

There is a short period after this when each of their lawyers (who are paid between $6,000 and $12,000 of US taxpayer money per day), standing behind their immigrant "clients," make brief requests from the judge for their clients. A husband and wife asked to be sent to the same jail so that when they are released they will be together. Another asked if he could be held in Tucson so he can be near his three daughters who live there.

To these Judge Ferraro responded that he would make a recommendation towards this, but the final decision would be up to the prison. After this, he announced, "That's all gentlemen. Thank you and good luck to you."

As another group of five migrants shuffle their way out of the courtroom, I notice a shorter man wearing a dirty yellow and white shirt, with a particularly anguished look on his face. His eyes catch mine just as he exits the courtroom.

The total amount of time it takes from when Judge Ferraro began calling their five names to his dismissal of them is five minutes and 17 seconds, roughly one minute and three seconds per migrant for their "trial."

Isabel Garcia, the aforementioned Federal Public Defender, is not amused by these ongoing show-trials at the US District Court of Arizona.

"All pretense of any justice is removed, aside from having a judge and lawyer present," she told Truthout before we entered the courtroom. "The entire criminal case happens before your eyes. My position is that DHS controls everything – these judges and courts are doing what the BP wants. This is just a show trial, but with real consequences for the immigrants and taxpayer."

Operation Streamline was created by George W. Bush's DHS in 2005, on the theory provided by BP that by recording migrants illegal entries, they would be deterred from returning over the border. Since the program was launched in 2008, it has not functioned as a deterrent in any way. Instead, it has served as a generator of millions of taxpayer dollars into Arizona's economy. BP agents, federal marshals, criminal defense attorneys, judges, and especially Arizona's private prison industry, are all on the receiving end of these funds.

Garcia told Truthout that it costs taxpayers between $20 and $22 million per month "to run this courthouse, not including lawyers or the private prison complex that locks up the immigrants."

Many of the migrants do their time in nearby Eloy, Arizona, at the Eloy Detention Center that is operated by the private prison firm Corrections Corporation of America (CCA). In addition to the Eloy Detention Center, the CCA has brought three more detention facilities to the small town, adding 1,500 new jobs. David Gonzalez, Arizona's US marshal, said taxpayers shell out between $9 and $11 million every month to incarcerate migrants at Eloy alone.

CCA has pulled off this money-making scheme by the usual methods.

Former Arizona Democratic Senator Dennis DeConcini, (whose father the courthouse is named after), is on the board of directors of CCA, and is also friends with former Arizona governor Janet Napolitano, who left that post to become DHS Director.

http://www.truthout.org/arizonas-war-immigrants59522  Article by Dahr Jamail, an acquaintance and friend of mine and Sassy's.

I am against the inhumanity.  I still see the problems for us with the cost of supporting the illegals, even though the working ones pay their share into the system.  I have always been helped on my trips in Mexico by these poor people that we have been taught in the US to view as no better than animals.  

I have seen farmers work them for a month then call the border patrol on them so they would get the work for free,  That is a pretty common practice.  I have listened to an old farmer brag and laugh to me on how he and his son would go and spray the Workers small gardens with Round-up to kill the garden because they did not want them to have anything, yet these illegals would have fed him from their table if he was only sociable enough to show up at dinner time.

No - it's not the people - it's the system and money and corruption.  Arizona seems to be cashing in just fine on taxpayer money and they see a way to make more.

I'm not saying that the illegals are right or that we should support them through our social programs.  I'm just saying that the world and the system sucks.  They are still people.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

[
QuoteThey are still people.
That about covers it Glenn ;)
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

I don't believe that they should be mistreated at all.  I believe they should be handled as humanely as possible, and deported without delay or false-trial as soon as immigration status is verified. 

I'm pissed that the legal system is raking in cash over this.

glenn kangiser

Maybe California should follow Arizona's lead - it could replenish the budget.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

glenn kangiser

Pox Eclipse

Quote from: NM_Shooter on May 19, 2010, 06:03:21 PM

Don sent me this today....I love it!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/19/arizona-official-threatens-cut-los-angeles-power-payback-boycott/

More meaningless posturing. Los Angeles owns the power plants in Arizona, so any threat to cut off the power is toothless yammering:
QuoteOn any given day, we receive 20 – 25% of our power from two power plants located in  Arizona: Navajo, a coal-fired plant, and Palo Verde, a nuclear plant.

We are part owner of both power plants, which are generating assets of the Department.

muldoon

According to the Border Patrol the public is being mislead as to WHO is coming into the US from Mexico. This IS THE TRUTH. As reported by WSBTV in Atlanta.

video 1/2 http://www.wsbtv.com/video/23438021/index.html
video 2/2 http://www.wsbtv.com/video/23438712/index.html

OTM pdfs used in article:

http://www.wsbtv.com/download/2010/0503/23436567.pdf
http://www.wsbtv.com/download/2010/0503/23436648.pdf

OTM pdfs of iranian/egyptians/iraq/yemen/saudia/jordan/kenya currently being held by ICE border agents. 

http://www.wsbtv.com/download/2010/0503/23436558.pdf
http://www.wsbtv.com/download/2010/0503/23436608.pdf
http://www.wsbtv.com/download/2010/0503/23436612.pdf
http://www.wsbtv.com/download/2010/0503/23436632.pdf
http://www.wsbtv.com/download/2010/0503/23436621.pdf

Terrorist Threat On Border With Mexico

DOUGLAS, AZ -- The U.S. Border Patrol uses choppers, ATVs and horses to patrol the 2000-mile border between the Southeastern U.S. and Mexico. Agents say most of the illegals caught crossing are from Mexico or South America. Still, they say thousands of people caught are classified as O.T.M.'s, which stands for "other than Mexican". They report that includes hundreds of people from nations that sponsor terrorism.

Channel 2 Action News anchor Justin Farmer traveled to Arizona to view a detention center near Phoenix. He viewed records that show illegals in custody from from Afghanistan, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Sudan and Yemen.

WEB EXTRA: People Other Than Mexicans, Including From Terrorist Nations Captured In The Last Two Years (Documents above)

Former Arizona U.S. Rep. J.D. Hayworth has seen the reports. "We have left the back door to the United States open," he said. "We have to understand there are people who definitely mean to do us harm who have crossed that border."

WATCH: Channel 2 Investigates U.S. Border Security Part 1
(Video Above)

Farmer talked to an Arizona rancher who didn't want to be identified because he's afraid of the Mexican cartels who smuggle drugs near his property. He said he found a Muslim prayer rug on his ranch. "This is one more indication that there is a whole lot more than just a few Mexicans coming into the U.S.".

A recent congressional report on the border threat confirmed members of Hezbollah have crossed the Southwest border. It shows photos of military jackets with Arab insignias found on the border. One depicts a picture of a plane crashing into the twin towers in New York City.

Dave Stoddard was a border patrol agent for 20 years. "The American public has been kept in the dark about this issue," he said. "In my experience, for every one apprehended, at least 10 escape apprehension."

The congressional report also revealed the route Middle Easterners take to get the United States. It showed they travel from Europe to South America, then to the tri-border region. That's where they learn to speak Spanish. The report said they then travel to Mexico and blend in with other illegals.

WEB EXTRA: People Other Than Mexicans Currently In Detention In ICE Custody In Florence Arizona Including From Terrorist Countries (Documents above)

Law enforcement officials believe one of the world's most wanted terrorists may have traveled into the U.S. in 2004 by coming through the mountains on the Mexico border. Federal agents confirmed Adnan Shurkajumah spent time in Atlanta just prior to Sep. 11th, and left on a bus. He is a Saudi Arabian pilot and bomb expert with a $5 million bounty on his head. In 2004, Shurkajumah was one of seven Al-Qaida members agents were looking for after they were spotted in Central America and believed headed to the United States through Mexico . Federal agents now say Shurkajumah seems to have disappeared.

WATCH: Channel 2 Investigates U.S. Border Security Part 2
(Video Above)

Hayworth said one of the most grave concerns from the congressional report is that Mexican drug cartels will help terrorists smuggle weapons across remote border crossings.

"If we learned nothing from 9-11, certainly we should have learned that our borders are important."

NM_Shooter

Quote from: muldoon on May 20, 2010, 09:36:14 AM
According to the Border Patrol the public is being mislead as to WHO is coming into the US from Mexico. This IS THE TRUTH. As reported by WSBTV in Atlanta.

video 1/2 http://www.wsbtv.com/video/23438021/index.html
video 2/2 http://www.wsbtv.com/video/23438712/index.html

Nice, huh?  20% have criminal records.  100's every year from countries with terrorist ties.  Making jokes about finding copies of the Koran doesn't seem so funny now. 

Isn't it odd that a person on the homeland security committee would not have access to that document?  Wonder why that is? 

Allow Arizona to protect its border by ANY and ALL means.

MountainDon

From an Blitzer interview with Felipe Calderon.....

BLITZER: So if people want to come from Guatemala or Honduras or El Salvador or Nicaragua, they want to just come into Mexico, they can just walk in?

CALDERON: No. They need to fulfill a form. They need to establish their right name. We analyze if they have not a criminal precedent. And they coming into Mexico. Actually...

BLITZER: Do Mexican police go around asking for papers of people they suspect are illegal immigrants?

CALDERON: Of course. Of course, in the border, we are asking the people, who are you?

And if they explain...

BLITZER: At the border, I understand, when they come in.

CALDERON: Yes.

BLITZER: But once they're in...

CALDERON: But not -- but not in -- if -- once they are inside the -- inside the country, what the Mexican police do is, of course, enforce the law. But by any means, immigration is a crime anymore in Mexico.

BLITZER: Immigration is not a crime, you're saying?

CALDERON: It's not a crime.

BLITZER: So in other words, if somebody sneaks in from Nicaragua or some other country in Central America, through the southern border of Mexico, they wind up in Mexico, they can go get a job...

CALDERON: No, no.

BLITZER: They can work.

CALDERON: If -- if somebody do that without permission, we send back -- we send back them.

BLITZER: You find them and you send them back?

CALDERON: Yes. However, especially with the people of Guatemala, we are providing a new system in which any single citizen from Guatemala could be able to visit any single border (INAUDIBLE) in the south. And even with all the requirements, he can or she can visit any parts of Mexico.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Woodsrule

Calderon is a hypocritical moron. The reason people are coming over our border, President Calderon, is because your country's infrastructure, educational system, economic system, system of jurisprudence, suck. How many Americans are trying to ILLEGALLY establish residence in Mexico? I would wager that the number is about.. zero.

glenn kangiser

Shawn B

Wait and see the Congress Critters are going to resurrect the REAL ID (National ID) program when they start Obama's "comprehensive immigration reform". I don't see how anyone would want to have a National ID, complete with Fed data base, biometrics, RFID (?), etc.

Take away the so called entitlements for the illegals, and find a judge to properly read the 14th amendment to end anchor baby status. Oh, maybe the U.S. should stop recruiting foreign born "kids" to fight it's wars, then give them citizenship for "serving", then fast track their parents and siblings for citizenship.
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

Pox Eclipse

Quote from: Shawn B on July 17, 2010, 01:47:10 AM

Take away the so called entitlements for the illegals, and find a judge to properly read the 14th amendment to end anchor baby status.

Just what we need, more activist judges.

Woodsrule

Just what we need, more activist judges? Like Sonia Sotomayor? You know, the one who was caught in a YouTube moment admitting that she and her fellow liberals make policy by way of the bench. Remember that? That clip was hilarious! [rofl2]

bayview

Quote from: peternap on May 15, 2010, 07:05:49 PM
WE GOT MEXICANS!

I was trying hard to get out of work today and decided to go in search of inland Mexicans. I found a bunch. Not many spoke English and none of them wanted their picture taken. If you want to get rid of illegals, start taking pictures ;D They disappear fast.

Some nice flea market video, shot from the hip!   Which one was the illegal?   It's hard for me to tell the difference between the documented and the un-documented . . .

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

peternap

Quote from: bayview on July 19, 2010, 11:09:39 AM
Quote from: peternap on May 15, 2010, 07:05:49 PM
WE GOT MEXICANS!

Some nice flea market video, shot from the hip!   Which one was the illegal?   It's hard for me to tell the difference between the documented and the un-documented . . .

/

If they run, they're illegal.
If they don't run, they're well disciplined illegals. :-\

desdawg

We don't call them illegal aliens anymore. To be politically correct we call them Undocumented Democrats.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser