How's the weather

Started by Redoverfarm, December 17, 2007, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I see others are having snow today. No snow here, but it was quite windy last night. It was also the coldest night of the year I believe. 19 degrees F. Nowhere near the record low of -2 in 1924. Sunny, some clouds.

My mountains went down to -1.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Actually it had warmed up this past week some. Today it hit 40F. Down to mid 20's at night. Good working weather though.  It had thawed enough to make it muddy.  Rained in the afternoon. Yesterday morning it was sleet.  We usually don't get very good forecast (If there is one).  Usually get it from two opposing areas.  Then when it hits the mountains it changes direction or conditions and usually the unexpected happens.  The best forecast for us is to just look outside.

MountainDon

The forecasts for our suburban location are usually accurate enough. But up in the Jemez Mtns. they can be wildly incorrect when it comes to the precipitation amounts. Probably harder to do for mountains than high plateau desert.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Hope the forecast is wrong. They are predicting the high temps wed -sun to be 5-10F with 70-100% snow.  Oh No.  Sounds like Old Man Winter has just awakened.

MountainDon

We're out of the cold snap we had. It was a nice day for an afternoon walk.

We went for a stroll around a new development near us. We were both incredulous at the sizes of the display homes. There were 15 different layouts, mostly 2 story, mostly over 2500 sq ft (as large as 4300). Terrible terrible waste.

glenn kangiser

We are expecting snow again for the end of the week.  Think I better cut more wood and get the snow plow on the Bush Hog.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

tanya

It is five degrees below zero here this morning and I was freezing so I had to get up and build a fire at 4 am.  Now the sun is peaking through over the mountains on he snow covered mountains it is beautiful and I think I can find time to snowboard today.  I went out for awhile the other day and made it downt he entire hill without falling on my last run so I am hopeful.  I don't mind falling because the snow is deep but I would have more confidence if I didn't fall. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

FrankInWI

almost record snows in wisconsin for a december this year.
out Dacha has it's own snow personality.  I put in 25 loads of fill to bring it up +2ft from floodplain, so it's on a bit of a hill.  The snow melts off the roof fast cause it's got heat in the building now, but no ceiling insulation!  So it melts then makes giant icicles on the edge.  The area by the doorway is slick as hell, a ice hill from there on down.  If robbers come to my place chances are they will fall an bust their head open.  Too bad that didn't happen to the assesor that came by week before last! 
I should have shoveled and salted, but I can't seem to do the mundane at out new place.  All I want to do is keep working on whatever is next that has to be done before I call the inspector in. 
god helps those who help them selves

Homegrown Tomatoes

Frank, I think we're supposed to get more snow this week... I get too depressed to look at the weather anymore! 

Drew

We went up on the weekend and worked in a light rain.  Dan was wearing down and I was wearing cotton.  We knew we needed more, but that's all we had.  I'll see what Cabela's or someone has.  No one fell on their prat in the mud, though.

There is a big storm predicted for the SF peninsula at the end of this week.  Let it rain.  I don't care.  Just let it be nice for 1/12-13 so we can start on our irrigation line ditch.

glenn kangiser

Your rain will be our rain and snow, Drew.  Looks like we're definitely going to get it.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Peternap I would imagine that riding the Whizzer would be a tad bit chilly today even in your neck of the woods.  It is 10F with some wind. Didn't get the snow they called for last night only about 1/2". Suppose to be more today and into the night.

tanya

It was a nice morning no snow then I posted in another thread and looked up and it is snowing like crazy out there.  It's a ood day for it too, all my indoor chores are caught up so I get to ride the snowboard today.  I will probably have to shovel too but jsut this once I might let the kids do it.  No I better not I neeed the  exercise.  You know once a person hits forty you jsut can't eat as much.  It is to hard to take the weight off and use the calories.  I love good food and that is a big problem. 

Homegrown Tomatoes

It's so cold today that I'm really having to psyche myself up to even take the dogs out, let alone go warm up the truck so we can go get a few groceries... I'm almost willing to fast for the day.  The heater is cranked up, but my feet are still like ice blocks... I'm thinking of tacking a quilt back up over the back door... we did that last year during the coldest days and it really seemed to help in spite of making the back hall really dark.  My DDs were sent upstairs to get dressed for the weather a while ago and still haven't returned, so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with... the oldest came downstairs for help with a button a little bit ago and then went back up and so far she was wearing a tank top, a velvet mock turtleneck sweater, a longsleeve rugby shirt, knee socks with a pair of thick cotton tights OVER them... I can't imagine what else could possibly go with such a 'fashion statement', or what she's talking her little sister into putting on!  At least they'll be warm!!! ;D  This is why we want to move south, and soon!!!!!!!  I have to give northerners who can take this weather credit-- they're a LOT tougher than me!!!!

glenn kangiser

Your DD sounds like she looks like a little Cyndi Lauper.

Drew

We're expecting rain and wind through the Bay Area until Sunday.  Whatever.  I won't get to build or play.  If I get too bummed I'll go to the Y.  I've never had blues that could survive 3000 yards in the pool.

We volunteer at a CSA farm in Pescadero (www.bluehousefarm.org).  Right after Thanksgiving we helped Ned and Ryan plant onions and leeks.  They're on vacation until later this month, but we drove by last weekend to see how they (the onions and leeks) were doing.  We can hardly wait to get back to work!

On the upside, Joel Salatin is coming to town!  W00t!

williet

It's the coldest so far this winter here in sunny North Alabama. In the low 30's today and maybe single digits tonight.....BUT...back in the 50's by the weekend!

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 02, 2008, 11:49:05 AM
Your DD sounds like she looks like a little Cyndi Lauper.
;D Not quite as bad as that.  She came down with a dress over the whole ensemble (red and black), hot pink waffle stompers, and wanted me to put her hair in two braids, which I obligingly did.  Little sister came down in a t-shirt with a long sleeve striped t-shirt over it, with the jacket part of her Korean hanbok over that, thick tights and a too-big skirt and Thomas the train shoes, and wanted her hair the same.   ::)  As long as other people can tell that they dress themselves, it's OK... took them so long to get their act together and get ready to go that I think my feet are semi-permanently swollen into my boots... may have to have the kids help me pry them off when we get back home.... keep putting off actually leaving the house... I know that the sunshine is deceptive because it is now only 12 degrees above 0.  Sigh.  Got to move soon!!! 

Redoverfarm

Willet still not too bad if you are a die-hard and there is no wind.  Good working as you usually don't work up a sweat.

Redoverfarm

Hope everyone's OK out on the west coast. The weather picture on the tube didn't look that good. High Winds, lots of rain, lots of snow.  Best of Luck.

glenn kangiser

We have had gusts in the valley they said were up to 50-- Blowing like crazy here - supposed to calm down later - tomorrow I'll put on rain gear and go put stuff above ground back together.

NOAA can tell it

QuoteA VERY STRONG PACIFIC STORM FRONT WAS CROSSING THE REGION TODAY.
STRONG WINDS WERE DEVELOPING ACROSS INTERIOR CENTRAL
CALIFORNIA...AND WILL CONTINUE TO STRENGTHEN LATER TODAY.
SUSTAINED SOUTHEAST WINDS OF 25 TO 35 MPH WITH FREQUENT GUSTS TO
50 MPH WERE OCCURRING IN MERCED COUNTY AND THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS
AND WILL LIKELY OCCUR OVER THE REST OF THE VALLEY LATER THIS
AFTERNOON. LOCALLY HIGHER GUSTS OF UP TO 60 MPH WILL ALSO BE
POSSIBLE BELOW PASSES AND THROUGH CANYONS.

A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT SUSTAINED WIND SPEEDS OF AT LEAST
35 MPH OR GUSTS OF 45 MPH OR MORE ARE EXPECTED. WINDS THIS STRONG
CAN MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT...ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH PROFILE
VEHICLES. SMALL BRANCHES OR SHALLOW ROOTED TREES COULD EVEN BE
DOWNED BY WINDS OF THIS MAGNITUDE. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST
FORECASTS FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HANFORD.

I can say that my wind generator has been puting out a pretty steady 30 amps at 26 or so volts with long periods of 60 or more amps.  My ammeter stops at 60 then pegs the needle over that. That seems to be a bit higher than the rating specs on their site.  Meter could be off a little.

http://www.bergey.com/Products/XL1.html

tanya

This morning it was wet snow, lots of it.  Then about 2 in the afternoon it began to rain, lots of it.  It is a mess but the good news is it is warm, the snow is melting, and Ihave almost all of my driveway shoveled down to dirt.  Now if I can jsut get that last little section done before everything turns to rock solid ice the rest of the winter will be a lot easier.  I don't think I will make it back out there again tonight though.  Too tired!!!

glenn kangiser

This thing just looks plain mean and it was worse earlier.

PEG688

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser