Ooops

Started by MountainDon, September 10, 2013, 02:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Makes me appreciate the back up alarm on my new truck. ;)

MountainDon

I forgot the hitch was in the receiver.  :(

Just went through the one layer; other side of wall okay. Maybe I should just build an inset box?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jimbo Ricketts

just put a hitch in that wall there in case of a forrest fire and move your home to a safe location  [slap]
no mam that's not the crack of my *$$ , its a plumbers pencil holder

Don_P

In that ignosecond as I felt contact between the old truck I was backing and our new truck's bumper I remembered having left the new truck in the turnaround. My wife calmly came out onto the porch and said, "Boy I'm glad you put the first dent in it" d*

rick91351

WOW MD you are so lucky you did not find a stud. ;)  Our ex son in law did when he backed his bass boat in to the garage.   :-[

Quote from: Jimbo Ricketts on September 10, 2013, 05:45:53 PM
just put a hitch in that wall there in case of a forrest fire and move your home to a safe location  [slap]

Sir that is exactly what we did a scant few week ago.  We are living in a fifthwheel for the past year at mostly at our place in the hills.  (We did pull up stakes for a few months and made the run to Az. last winter)  This summer we moved to an escape route for the 130,000 acre Elk Complex Fire.  It missed us by about 3 miles.... 

We the local ranchers and villagers fought it for a couple days before they had enough ground crew up here to let us take a breather.  However all would have been lost up here in the first 36 hours had it not been for the locals cutting fire lines with big tractors and disks, dozers, some ranch owned water tanks with fire pumps mounted mostly on trailers  and a very well commanded air assault.  I can not say enough good about the air support we had.  They too now are operating on a skeleton of what they once had available to them.

Quote from: Don_P on September 10, 2013, 10:39:37 PM
In that ignosecond as I felt contact between the old truck I was backing and our new truck's bumper I remembered having left the new truck in the turnaround. My wife calmly came out onto the porch and said, "Boy I'm glad you put the first dent in it" d*

rofl rofl             

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

Quote from: rick91351 on September 10, 2013, 10:48:52 PM
WOW MD you are so lucky you did not find a stud. ;) 

Missed the stud by a shade more than a hair.   ;D

Also lucky was the fact that two days ago I drilled new holes for the pin. That set the bar maximum forward; about 2 1/2 inches shorter than before.  8)

MountainDon

The ooops evidence is gone...

After some paint it won't be quite as noticeable. Maybe?
Not real pretty, but then neither is the rest of the garage.   ;D

Redoverfarm

I was going to ask you whether it was a garage wall.  Couldn't visualize drywall in the shed at the cabin.  Any reason you didn't just replace it with a piece of drywall or do you dislike finishing it as much as I do.  ;)

MountainDon

Now I can leave the receiver bar in the tube and back in/ 3/4" clearance from the inside wall with the rear wheel at the tire stop.  ;D ;D

Redoverfarm

Friend of mine had a tight garage. His solution was to hang a tennis ball from the ceiling to where it would just touch the windshield.  He then knew when he was close enough without hitting the wall.

MountainDon

... but I like to back in  :D  ... always have for some reason.   

With this garage it is partly because the left and right sides are different lengths. The south side is too short for the truck. Yes, that is weird, but that is the way it is because of the utility room space between garage space and the house itself. . Driving in forwards would place the drivers door next to the outside wall that is full of power tools and benches. That would make getting out a very difficult task without climbing across and out the passenger door.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MountainDon on September 12, 2013, 09:09:20 PM
... but I like to back in  :D  ... always have for some reason.   

With this garage it is partly because the left and right sides are different lengths. The south side is too short for the truck. Yes, that is weird, but that is the way it is because of the utility room space between garage space and the house itself. . Driving in forwards would place the drivers door next to the outside wall that is full of power tools and benches. That would make getting out a very difficult task without climbing across and out the passenger door.

The wheel stop would definitely give you the right distances as long as it is high enough not to drive over.  The hanging pendent(tennis ball) would also work if adjusted to touch a mirror edge when backing.  I am like you Don I like to back when parking permanent.  Got my wife to thinking that way also.  Seems you always have time to back when coming home but leaving is a different story.  Always in a hurry to leave and it makes pulling out a better option.  Sounds like your garage is similar to mine in that the bays are different lengths.  One for the car and one for the truck.  Well let me rephrase that.  One is intended for the truck but with the deisel it is seldom used.  Too much exhaust.  So that bay has turned into a catch all while the truck stays on the outside. Yes I could place a hose to the outside for warm up periods but hardly worth the effort.   d*