Bear Spray vs. Firearms

Started by MountainDon, March 26, 2008, 06:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Back to the bears...

Counter Assault has a "new" product. It was added to their line last year, but I never saw it until the other day.

It's a portable electric bear fence for protecting your victuals, etc.

http://counterassault.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=3
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

rwanders sent me this as he was having a posting issue...

This is another technique used on occasion in Alaska when dealing with polar bears.

What a game of tag! I hope this all turned out with a satisfactory ending.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Whoa!! There was something weird going on there! I thought that got double posted; it was a set of quints!  d* d*

Redoverfarm

The only thing that comes to mind is that he must have locked his keys in the Bronco.  Either that or he left his mind at home as he passed both doors a couple of times.

NM_Shooter

Whoa. 

So what needed to happen before the other photographer put down the camera and pulled out a gun?
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Or maybe there was another, one with a gun one with a camera?

At least I hope there was a gunner along. I didn't post one line of the description... something about the hazards of Alaskan photography. Note the very healthy sized tripod leaning against the pickup truck.

Got to admit that's a nice looking bear.   :)

MountainDon

Here's the best end of a polar bear to be seeing.

(Taken in the town of Churchill, Manitoba. A too common sight. Bears, not the butts)

MountainDon

After a successful afternoon I've got my new hiking/atv'ing/jeeping/hanging around the mountains animal defense firearm. Maybe we'll call it Puff.  ???

Everything came together nicely, a special sale on a NIB Mossberg 500 12 gauge dual barrel kit (one each 28" and 18.5"), synthetic stock plus pistol grip, from my friendly neighborhood gunsmith Joe, for $280. And I sold a mint condition walnut stock Mossberg 500 12 gauge w/28" barrel and cheap nylon sling for $200. I would have paid that difference for a new 18.5" barrel and still had the wood stock. The new one's all black too.

Of course now I need swivels, a new sling (or maybe a loop type  ???) and I want a red dot sight as well.  ???

Willy

Nice set up! I think that will do the job with out a problem. Now pick up some OO buck and a few slugs to put in the extended mag. If it will chamber the 3 1/2 inch Mag use that load it kicks but also drops them dead!! Mark

MountainDon

The 500's goes to 3 inch. Already threw the mag dowel out (actually tucked it away with the 28" barrel just in case) and have a supply of 00 and rifled slugs. Hopefully we'll go play in the mountains Sunday. Gotta see what the snow's doing anyways.

Willy

Quote from: MountainDon on April 18, 2008, 08:15:41 PM
The 500's goes to 3 inch. Already threw the mag dowel out (actually tucked it away with the 28" barrel just in case) and have a supply of 00 and rifled slugs. Hopefully we'll go play in the mountains Sunday. Gotta see what the snow's doing anyways.
Don't worry 3" will do the job. With a full loaded mag the first ones are easy on the sholder but as it gets lighter the last one jerks the eyeballs some in the sockets. I have shot a full box of 20 - 3" mags in a row and it is a blast to say the least! Nice part of the 3" mag Slug it will flip a round of fire wood when it hits it. Mark

Redoverfarm

I wondered how you split your firewood Mark. Now I know.  ;)

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

John_C

Very nice.  Enjoy it and I hope you never need to test its effectiveness on an angry bear.

John_C

Bear gave off no reasons for concern before trainer's death

article>
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080423/ap_on_re_us/grizzly_attack

Anyone seen the movie Into the Blue?  Watch it with the directors commentary.  They worked in very close proximity with the sharks. Real sharks not CG or mechanical (as in Jaws). The director wanted to tie fish heads etc to the actors wet suits to get the sharks closer.  I've spent a lot of time diving and that seems just NUTS to me.

peternap

Quote from: John C on April 23, 2008, 08:22:31 AM
Bear gave off no reasons for concern before trainer's death

article>
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080423/ap_on_re_us/grizzly_attack

Anyone seen the movie Into the Blue?  Watch it with the directors commentary.  They worked in very close proximity with the sharks. Real sharks not CG or mechanical (as in Jaws). The director wanted to tie fish heads etc to the actors wet suits to get the sharks closer.  I've spent a lot of time diving and that seems just NUTS to me.

That's the most stupid thing I ever heard of John. I've had 1 close call with sharks and that was enough. I was diving in the York River, right at the mouth of the bay, and 2 Bull sharks came in following a school of Rays. The damn things just kept hanging around. It is the most helpless I've ever felt.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Watched a new series on the Discovery Channel titled "Aventure in Alaska" in which they commented that there had only been 6 people killed in Alaska since the year 2000 from bear attacks. A number of others were mauled but didn't give the ##'s.

MountainDon

Yes, and my info showed that 4 of the 6 that were killed were killed in two separate attacks on couples.

A total of 26 recorded deaths by bear mauling in the US and Canada, Alaska to Tennessee in the years May 2000. But I've not seen a compilation on the number of attacks that resulted in injuries, not death.  ???  Not dramatic enough to make the news?

MountainDon

I found that two people, one in AK and one in Canada have been attcked by bears twice and survived.

Two accounts of separate attacks, one fatal, one not.

survivor: (a very engrossing tale)
http://www.biggamehunt.net/sections/Alaska/Bear_Attack_08150112.html

death: http://www.kaniut.com/abtsam.htm

Redoverfarm

Yet another bear attack in Canada but the victim survived.  Aired today.  Has anyone considered a stun gun for the up close and personal when everything else failed?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354615,00.html

John_C

QuoteHas anyone considered a stun gun for the up close and personal when everything else failed?

That's an interesting idea, but I wouldn't volunteer to be the field tester for the prototype bear stun gun ;D

peternap

A stun gun will sting them but just like a human, won't stop a determined attack. I am a great believer in Tasers and carry one more than a firearm in the city....but a bear has an entirely different nervous system.
There is a Taser Red that was made for use on animals but wasn't very successful.

Redoverfarm

I realize this wouldn't be the choice of weapons of defense but in watching the video of the guy in Canada that was being mauled by the bear I thought it might be nice to have in that situation.  If everytime he bit down he was jolted he might soon realize the simularity and leave a little earlier.  Apparently he was carring an axe but realized it was too late for any defensive moves and just threw it down. Then playing dead was the only option left.  At that point I was wondering about a stun gun.

The new series of the Alaskan Adventure mentioned that the .338 cal was the all around for alaska. Just threw that in.

glenn kangiser

Would a stun gun trigger the bears eating reflex? [hungry]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Not real sure but touching an electric fence doesn't trigger mine.