Don and Peter's Hot Rod Corner

Started by MountainDon, February 13, 2007, 12:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

As I recall, the 292 was quite a gas hog wasn't it?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

Well, what if we get hit with the electromagnetic pulsation weapons & all the computers are knocked out?  ???
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

desdawg

Quote from: benevolance on January 10, 2008, 03:53:14 PM
Desdawg

I am not going to have a pension plan either...Should I open my veins now? :-\
Naw Peter, I just do it a day at a time. My world hasn't collapsed yet.
Sassy, most of what I own is construction equipment and real estate. It is not a real good time to sell either one right now. I guess the right time will come. I have spent a lot of time accumulating all the "right" equipment. Someone suggested the other day that I take it all to the Ritchie Brothers auction.  n*  That would be kind of like parting with your first born. I am not ready mentally for that. I spent the first part of last year, when I saw the handwriting on the wall, stashing every dime I could so I will make it a while longer.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

desdawg

Chevy 6 292? Ford had a V-8 that size. That was about the time Ford realized that oil needed to be pumped to the rocker arms. I had a Ford 272 with aftermarket external oilers, copper tubing that delivered oil to the valve covers. I guess they had a hard time with the OHV concept.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

312 was the big brother to the 272, 292 Ford V-8's.  I had a 56 Mercury and a 58 Ford with one each.  They had their own sound.

I didn't use Chevy much in the 292 era.  Here's a quote from Wikipedia.

Quote292

The 292 was only used in Chevrolet and GMC trucks; the block deck is taller, along with a relocated passenger-side engine mount. These were produced between 1963 to 1990; production of the engine shifted to Mexico after 1984.

L25

The L25 was GM's "last" straight-6 engine, produced from 1977 to 1985. It was used in Chevrolet trucks, displaced 292 inĀ³ (4.8 L) and produced 115 hp and 215 ft.lbf.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote from: Sassy on January 11, 2008, 03:44:55 AM
Well, what if we get hit with the electromagnetic pulsation weapons & all the computers are knocked out?  ???
If that happens there'll be a whole lot of things to worry about. I'm not to to limit myself to old technology just because something like that might happen. I'm more likely to die in a traffic accident or have something more mundane happen than weapons of mass destruction. OMMV
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Me too, Don.  We'll just fall back on our survival skills if the need be. :)

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 11, 2008, 02:53:42 PM
Me too, Don.  We'll just fall back on our survival skills if the need be. :)
Take it a day at a time.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

I am not sure what the old power wagon front axle is. But it doesn't appear to be larger than a Dana 60.  ???

The 60 is used as the front member in the current 1 ton Dodge truck. Quite stout and easy to get with discs. Lots of aftermarket including ARB's.

Sassy

MtnDon, quit showing us those cool trucks - you're making me want one  n* and we can't afford something like that right now -  not in time rebuilding one or outright buying it   :(   but I sure do like em  :)

MountainDon

I can't really afford one either UNLESS I could find one cheap, that wasn't a pile of rusted immobile parts. Fat chance of that. I simply want to have others share my pain.  ;D ;D Thanks for sharing!  :D

Here's a nice one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1948-Dodge-Power-Wagon-in-original-condition_W0QQitemZ330202598404QQihZ014QQcategoryZ39413QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sassy

desdawg

Old saying, "Misery loves company". Those are tough looking trucks.

MountainDon

The Paris - Dakar rally was canceled this year (2008) because of unrest in Nigeria.

Even the support trucks get into the action.  :o   
MORE HERE

Drew

My tastes are way simpler these days, and boy am I glad considering what you folks are throwing around!  My nephew and I are trading Craig's List ads back and forth for the perfect beater farm truck.  Oooh!  Looky!  $1,500 and only 82K miles!

MountainDon

Quote from: Drew on January 15, 2008, 12:02:45 AM
Oooh!  Looky!  $1,500 and only 82K miles!
That sounds like a great deal if it's honest miles. Even good if it was more. It looks like a recent enough model to have a 999,999.9 odometer.   ??

MountainDon

Even if it had a wrinkle or two not bad. I have a neighbor with one that looks similar. F-350. It's a work vehicle; pipeline work. Last I heard the clock was at 277,000 and it still runs good from what I can see.

I have a '94 Chrysler LHS with only 55,000 honest miles on the clock that we've just acquired through my MIL's estate. We don't need it, though I do like the car. Trying to decide what to ask for it.  ???

John_C

I'm sitting here this morning reading the hot rod corner from page 1 over coffee.  I'm up to page 6 or so but I need to get to work >:( .  I've always had more of an interest in small fuel efficient cars than in hot rods.  I look at the technology with a background in math & physics not auto mechanics, and a bias towards simplicity.  Any way yesterday I came across an article and here is a short excerpt.

"In 1987, for example, the average vehicle could accelerate to 60 miles per hour in 13.1 seconds, weighed 3,221 pounds and had a 118 horsepower engine, offering about the same power as a 2008 Nissan Versa subcompact, which offers 122 horsepower.

By 2007, according to data from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the average vehicle weighed 4,144 pounds, boasted a 223 horsepower engine and did zero to 60 in 9.6 seconds."

A while back I saw a statistic that the average fuel efficiency of the overall fleet of cars on American roads was 25mpg in the day of the model T Ford and is 25mpg today. 

I don't think this is a plan by the gov't/auto makers.  Even with $3.00 gas the fuel efficient cars at the local Ford dealership sit longer in inventory than the SUV's and crew cab trucks.  Too many Americans believe they need a big vehicle.  They need the big engine to get up that hill. 

Although I never owned one, one of my favorite cars from years ago was the Austin America.  It had a lot of failings common to British cars of that era, but was ahead of its time. A bit bigger than a Mini Cooper, FWD, got 35 - 40 mpg.  I wish that platform had been the beneficiary of continued improvement.

This evening I'll catch up on the rest of the hot rod corner.

MountainDon

It's the basic LHS, they were few options at all. Unfortunately the body has enough small bumps and grinds that most if not all the $$ gains made by the low mileage will be erased. Parking lot posts. I didn't think she should have been driving for the past year, but nobody (family) would  agree with me.

Drew

Quote from: MountainDon on January 15, 2008, 12:23:42 AM
Quote from: Drew on January 15, 2008, 12:02:45 AM
Oooh!  Looky!  $1,500 and only 82K miles!
That sounds like a great deal if it's honest miles. Even good if it was more. It looks like a recent enough model to have a 999,999.9 odometer.   ??

There are actually 2 of these, each for $1,500.  My nephew, Vince, is going down to drive the "Turlock Twins" since they are out his way and see what is what.

"That's really cool of you, man.  I appreciate you doing it."

"Are you kidding?  I go down, I knock on their door, I say, 'Can I drive your truck?  I'll be back after dinner.'  This is fun!"

They're 1994 Ford F350 4x4s.  For 14 year old trucks, the 82k and 102k miles may be on the engines and not the frame, but who knows?  I commuted in my 99 Dodge and have about 110K on it.

MountainDon

Hey there John_C... your comment about reading this through from page 1 made me go back and check out how things translated from the changeover to SMF. I found a few image links that were messed up... fixed them.

on this page   http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2532.40

MountainDon

Quote from: John C on January 15, 2008, 09:37:42 AM
Although I never owned one, one of my favorite cars from years ago was the Austin America.  It had a lot of failings common to British cars of that era, but was ahead of its time. A bit bigger than a Mini Cooper, FWD, got 35 - 40 mpg.  I wish that platform had been the beneficiary of continued improvement.
I remember those.

Austin America Website

MountainDon

Quote from: John C on January 15, 2008, 09:37:42 AM
I don't think this is a plan by the gov't/auto makers.  Even with $3.00 gas the fuel efficient cars at the local Ford dealership sit longer in inventory than the SUV's and crew cab trucks.  Too many Americans believe they need a big vehicle.  They need the big engine to get up that hill. 
I'm waiting to see what the Smart Car does here in the USA. From what I've read they aren't exactly setting sales records in Europe and they discontinued the 4 place model over there.

:-\

John_C

The SMART CAR had to have been designed by quite a committee.  It's ugly, doesn't get very good mileage for it's size, and it's relatively expensive.  How'd they do dat ???

It's odd to me that the SMART CAR is moving to market while Mercedes' development of the so called bionic car has languished.  I think I've posted this before but here it is again

Still funky looking but at least functional.  The weird look comes with a really low Cd of 0.19.   With a 140 hp diesel it gets 70mpg with room for 4 real people.

I agree with Peter's assessment, except the part about people buying them.  Too many folks I know are waiting for the 50mpg Suburban....  That will take a while.

I spent last night catching up on the rest of the hot rod corner.  You guys have been having too much fun.

John_C

Another weird but fuel efficient car from the post WWII era. A Messerschmitt...  about 65 mpg with 1940's technology.

ED: tossed the image in a photobucket account. Sometimes links to 3rd party websites are not reliable. Sometimes their server blocks links to them after a certain number of loads. I also noticed the first time I read the message it was slow to appear. - MD