Will OKlahoma be the first?

Started by ScottA, June 20, 2008, 07:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

Steamed over a perceived increase in federal usurping of states' rights, Oklahoma's House of Representatives told Washington, D.C., to back off.

Joint House Resolution 1089, passed by an overwhelming 92-3 margin, reasserts Oklahoma's sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and, according to the resolution's own language, is "serving notice to the federal government to cease and desist certain mandates."

The Tenth Amendment states, "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=67229

ScottA

STATE OF OKLAHOMA
2nd Session of the 51st Legislature (2008)
HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION 1089

By: Key
AS INTRODUCED

A Joint Resolution claiming sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States over certain powers; serving notice to the federal government to cease and desist certain mandates; and directing distribution.

WHEREAS, the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States reads as follows:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."; and

WHEREAS, the Tenth Amendment defines the total scope of federal power as being that specifically granted by the Constitution of the United States and no more; and

WHEREAS, the scope of power defined by the Tenth Amendment means that the federal government was created by the states specifically to be an agent of the states; and

WHEREAS, today, in 2008, the states are demonstrably treated as agents of the federal government; and

WHEREAS, many federal mandates are directly in violation of the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States; and

WHEREAS, the United States Supreme Court has ruled in New York v. United States, 112 S. Ct. 2408 (1992), that Congress may not simply commandeer the legislative and regulatory processes of the states; and

WHEREAS, a number of proposals from previous administrations and some now pending from the present administration and from Congress may further violate the Constitution of the United States.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES AND THE SENATE OF THE 2ND SESSION OF THE 51ST OKLAHOMA LEGISLATURE:

THAT the State of Oklahoma hereby claims sovereignty under the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States over all powers not otherwise enumerated and granted to the federal government by the Constitution of the United States.

THAT this serves as Notice and Demand to the federal government, as our agent, to cease and desist, effective immediately, mandates that are beyond the scope of these constitutionally delegated powers.

THAT a copy of this resolution be distributed to the President of the United States, the President of the United States Senate, the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate of each state's legislature of the United States of America, and each member of the Oklahoma Congressional Delegation.

ScottA

I'm trying to track down details on this but it looks like they are trying to hide it already. The .pdf is gone from the states web server or is being blocked.

Sassy

Hooray for Oklahoma!!!   [cool]   shame on whoever is trying to hide it...   >:(

Good to hear that one state has the guts to stand up to a dictatorial federal gov't!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Willy

apaknad

i can only hope that they can pull this LEGAL manuever off. wish we could get other states to get some cajones and follow suit. long live the constitution!
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

desdawg

Three cheers. It is time for the sh!t to stop flowing downhill and someone to start pushing it back upthe hill. I suppose this means I can't tell any more Oklahoma jokes. Let us hope this becomes a movement among the other states and we can get back to something akin to grassroot government. What does the Fed understand about my neighborhood anyway. Nothing. We are just someone to tax and finance their pet projects. Things have gotten way past the point and a few of us complaining on a forum won't change anything. Now a state government will have a voice that can be heard above the din. Several state governments would add significantly to the strength of that voice. I like it.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

ScottA

Did some checking and this is real. I finaly found a .pdf of the actual document. This is a bold symbolic move by the legislature over the fact that the feds are trying to kill the tough immigration laws passed by OKlahoma. It is illegal to employ or provide services to illegal aliens in OKlahoma. The resolution has no teeth so I'm sure the feds will simply ignore it. Funny the MSM hasn't said a word about this  ???

glenn kangiser

Not funny -- the MSM will say very little against the feds - esp. the Shrub administration.  The fed owns the news agencies.  The net is the only place to find a lot of this stuff and the fed wants to own it too -- currently working on that.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Scott the only problem is that every state has gotten so dependent on Federal money from road money, child care, housing and the list goes on.  I would say there will be alot of arm bending to go against the establishment in which they will use there money or the lack of to pressure states to go with the flow.  I hope not but as they say "money talks".

Sassy

So true, Red...  :-\  Maybe, if we make a copy of the resolution, fax or mail it to our  heh "representatives" (note I put that in quotations... ) keep bombarding them with the novel ideas put forth by our Constitution...  we'll either get through to one or 2 of them or get arrested for being a terrorist (I've read that Constitutionalists are suspect - are on the FBI suspect list)

If we get through to enough of them & they start putting through resolutions of their own, we will have to fight all the people who are getting a free lunch from the Feds...  because their Sugar Daddy will be taking the easy $$ away... 

Soooo, there's a big fight ahead - we must stay focused & keep educating people & telling our "reps" what we want...  The Ron Paul campaign is fighting a grassroots battle to bring us back to a constitutional gov't.  Check out Ron Paul on Google & see what's going on...  lots of different sites...

There's a poll at the end of this article in the Washington Post...
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2008/06/viva_revolution_understanding.html

peternap

Quote from: Redoverfarm on June 21, 2008, 12:15:57 PM
Scott the only problem is that every state has gotten so dependent on Federal money from road money, child care, housing and the list goes on.  I would say there will be alot of arm bending to go against the establishment in which they will use there money or the lack of to pressure states to go with the flow.  I hope not but as they say "money talks".

Boy...ain't that truth. In Va, there is a shortfall. Our idiot Governor has tried all kinds of underhanded stunts...Remember last years abusive driver fines that almost got the entire General Assembly Lynched. Now he's trying higher titling fees and higher taxes on real estate sales. HE HAS NEVER SUGGESTED THE GOVERNMENT TIGHTEN IT'S BELT.

Turn down Federal money, heaven forbid. The General Assembly dragged their feet on the SOL money for a year or so but finally caved in.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Sassy

desdawg

I remember back in Nixon's day of the mandatory 55 mph speed limit. My home state, Montana waited until the last possible day to enact and not lose their highway funding. They made anything over 55 a violation, the offender didn't have to go to court, just paid the officer that stopped him. The fine $5.00. One guy came speeding through, got stopped, found out what the deal was and handed the cop a $10.00 bill, told him to keep it, said that he was coming back through again the next day. I guess he thought it was a permit. The point is there are ways to save the funds without caving completely to the Federal mandate. The speed limit in Montana had always been 55 at night but not during the day for as long as I can remember.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Homegrown Tomatoes

See, I always said Oklahoma was the cultural center of the universe and on the cutting edge. ;D  OK, so I haven't always said that, but something like that...

glenn kangiser

Is it necessary to wear protective clothing?  Band-aid anybody? hmm

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Nobody wanted Oklahoma that's why they gave it to the indians. But as soon as the indians had it they stole it back. Go figure?

peternap

Quote from: ScottA on June 24, 2008, 06:04:21 PM
Nobody wanted Oklahoma that's why they gave it to the indians. But as soon as the indians had it they stole it back. Go figure?

The Indians fixed it up a little, ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

Was it Oklahoma they used to tell the joke about?

News Flash:

A tornado tore through central Oklahoma destroying 7 cities.  Damage has been estimated at $20.  hmm

Just razzin' you guys a little --- go ahead --- tear up California -- it deserves it.

ScottA

Atleast we didn't let Enron screw us out of our electricity.

glenn kangiser

d*

What a sham that was.  We really got shafted there and PGE was laughing all the way to the bank.  Deregulation came in and prices went up and they knew it would from the start.  They could charge more for transporting other peoples electricity and make money for doing nothing.

The way they set it up it was impossible to save no matter how you did it.

John_C

QuoteA tornado tore through central Oklahoma destroying 7 cities.  Damage has been estimated at $20.  hmm

When a tornado hit Alabama it blew the wheels off the Governor's mansion.

desdawg

Those states are taking a beating today.  d*
I ran across a guy from Tennessee one time, was trying to figure out if he divorced his wife if she would still be his cousin.

glenn kangiser

ScottA

This thread is hijacked so far off topic I forgot what it was about. desdawg I heard that same joke before but the guy was from Arkansas.