Oldest Town In Texas

Started by TeeCee19, July 24, 2010, 04:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeeCee19

I actually logged in a post earlier this spring, but, can't find it. So, I am officially making this my INITIAL project post. I titled it to describe the location of the nearest town to the site of my FUTURE cabin site. I plan to build it myself(with a little help from a few friends and family along the way). I have no $ put aside to finance this project. I plan to build it month by month. I live about 175 miles from the site(2.5 to 3 hr drive). I have NO BUILDING experience, but, I truly want to do this. Sorta my "mid-life crisis" thing, if you will. I will post pictures in a lil bit to show the site. Plan on clearing the lot this time next month. Any help, suggestions, ideas, will be appreciated. I have tough skin, so im okay with criticism of any kind.  I want this cabin, deck, and a possible gazebo later to be my getaway for the remainder of my life.
Tee Cee

archimedes

Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

Redoverfarm

w* TeeCee don't be afraid to ask.  That's what family is for.

glenn kangiser

Sounds like fun.  Are you able to build freely or will you be dealing with a building department?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

TeeCee19

Below are some of the pictures at the lake site for my future cabin.
Hope this works..

Tee Cee

TeeCee19

Sounds like fun.  Are you able to build freely or will you be dealing with a building department?
I will be able to build freely. Our lake property is a privately owned property with no restrictions. Its located several miles from a small town.
We are not off grid. We have running water, septic, and electricity.We even have access to satellite television. I do plan to use all these modern utilities except, I want to heat my cabin with a wood burning stove. Been looking into some special ductless air conditioners(It gets hot in East Texas!!) designed for small buildings. These details are for later. Just planning to clear the lot for building in the next 60 days. Renting a dozer and got a cousin who is going to clear it, while I work on foot.
Tee Cee

TeeCee19

Didnt put any descriptions on the pictures earlier.....also, is there a way to make the pictures a lil bigger? I used photobucket, but cant the pictures to post larger than this..?????

This first picture is me standing on the actual property facing the lake below.

This is a picture of the actual lake. Its about a 5 acre man built lake that has a few streams feeding it. Stocked with several varieties of bass, perch, hybrid crappie and catfish. Some unwantd turtles here as well..LOL

Another picture standing on the front part of the property, facing the lake below. We will be on an elevated site, about 75 yards from the lake. Perfect in my opinion..

Facing the property; this photo doesnt do it any justice YET..

View of the site, taken on the road

Another view facing the future site. Lots of underbrush to clear, as you can you see
Tee Cee

TeeCee19

Finally figured it out, these show the better size. dont tell anyone, I TEACH computer classes!! yikes...Didnt read the part where I was uploading thumbnails

Tee Cee

OlJarhead

Welcome!  And remember this:  How do you eat an Elephant?

One bite at a time :)

First things first:  Supplies, distance, gas and food.

I am building 240 miles from our home in Eastern Washington.  The nearest town is approximately 25 miles away (3 of which is pretty much off road).  Here are some things I've learned along the way:

1.  Budget the gas too!  I spend $100 in gas each weekend I DO NOT pull a trailer or have a roof rack and rear rack on my jeep.  I can burn through $150 in a weekend if I do pull a trailer.

2.  Food Fatigue can get you if you plan to eat hot dogs and hamburgers each weekend...a year down the road you will want something else.  Now, to be honest, I've always camped and always eaten what I wanted.  I could afford steaks and such and didn't much think about 'camp food' fatiguing me.  But eventually it did and I began to bring veggies and sandwich stuff and more 'normal' things after a while.

3.  Place to stay?  We had been staying in a tent trailer and still do somewhat.  Having it was a godsend!  I can't imagine tenting to build.

4.  Bringing in supplies -- if they deliver for $50 have them do it!!!!!  If they don't bring extra of EVERYTHING always.  Having to take time away from building to go pick up some sheeting or 2x4's costs valuable time that a weekend doth not have.

5.  DO NOT get discouraged!  It takes time (for some of us).  I'm 45 and have building experience (albeit OLD experience long out of use) and after a year I'm still hoping to get some exterior work done soon!!!  It takes time but that's ok, it's a life experience.

6.  Make time to take trips to do clean up and R&R.  Sometimes you just have to take a break.

7.  Air tools are your friend :)  Go to harbor freight and get a nice 3hp compressor for $130 and an air nailer! ($90)....it helps.

8.  Don't forget the tools!  Make a list of what you will need and always use it before leaving....175 miles is a LONG way to go to get something and buying it locally runs the costs up.

9.  Consider a jobber box or shed and leaving tools onsite (if it's secure enough).

I'm sure I could go on and on about my own experience but that ought to help :)  Good luck and keep us posted!

Erik

TeeCee19

Erik,

Thanks a bunch for the info. I do have some VERY HUGE advantages. Although I'm almost 200 miles away from my site, I am a mere 6 miles from a town. Its small, but, has enough stuff for emergency situations. Also, we are not off grid. I MAY(gotta check) be able to have electricity DURING the building of the storage shed, deck and cabin. That will be a huge help.

I also have access to another cabin nearby to live in. Its not an extremely rural setting. We are on a 90 acre or so site that is privately owned by about 25 or so of us. About 6 other cabins/mobile buildings are on the property. I inherited this site from my father and plan to keep it in the family.(for my daughter, niece, and nephews use after Im gone)

If this works out, I plan to build ANOTHER cabin on the UNDEVELOPED side of the lake or on a MORE PRIVATE, MORE RURAL property I may purchase later!!...
Anyway..thanks..And I feel like im getting somewhere now finally.

So, I should be doing my Craiglist searching now? Tools, then materials, right?

I dont even own a circular saw!
Tee Cee

TeeCee19

Oh yeah Erik;
thanks for the advice of #'s 5 and 6.  I have already recieved some "negative" thoughts from a few friends.."Man, are you crazy?" d*, Its gonna take you forever, etc  >:(:o...But, that only makes me wanna do it even more...I like the part about taking trips to just clean and get R&R. That is why I plan to build the storage shed and deck first. I am going to keep tools there and I also go there to "enjoy" at times. Its my hometown(birthplace) and I have relatives there. So, I can envision a few "building parties" on the nights before I have to return to the "city"..Get my drift?...
Tee Cee

OlJarhead

You bet!  Those who sit on the fence only get splinters up their butts  d*

Tools: While some manufacturers make fantastic tools I have some advice that I hope helps -- it's in the form of a story.

When I was about 24 I wanted to build my daughter a toybox -- something that would last -- so I went out and bought a Black and Decker circular saw (often referred to as a 'Skil Saw') and a few other tools....it worked and we still have the box but I digress....later when I was 31 I was hired to be a 'carpenters helper' on a condo crew.  I brought my saw and was laughed at for having such a crappy saw.

Still later I began sub-contracting to do renovations etc and yes, brought along my saw.  My buddies Makita died and we used my B&D to get buy...even cut the cord off once (him not me) and replaced it.

Recently I was using a Skil Saw I somehow came in possession of (actually was my wifes before I met her) and it crapped out....guess what?  That Black and Decker came out and IS STILL being used today.  See the pic of my son using here:

That saw is at least 21 years old and keeps on going.  Someday I might have to retire it but the moral of the story is this:  DeWalt makes good tools and if you can afford them great, but Craftsman, Ryobi, B&D and others also make good tools that cost a TON less and might last every bit as long if cared for.

I use Ryobi stuff a LOT -- the cordless 18v drills last me 2 to 3 years and cost 1/3rd a Dewalt usually...so I can go about 6-9 years before I've spent the money on a dewalt and chances are (I know from experience) the Dewalt will break within that time too.

My Power Tools: 
Ryobi - Table Saw (at least 4 years old and going strong), 12v drill (8 years and still works good but needs new batteries), 18v hammer drill (chuck is finally dying on me -- 3 or 4 years old but working still)
Makita -- Miter Saw (at least 4 years old and works like a champ).
Black and Decker circular saw -- 21+ years and still kicking :D
Various Skil and B&D drills and Jig Saws
DeWalt Sawsall (was on sale so couldn't resist)

I bought a compressor for $130 at Harbor Freight and we'll see how long it lasts -- I don't expect much out of it though.

Champion Generator ($300 at Shucks 3 years ago) works great still.

For hand tools I'm more picky!  I like Estwing hammers and find few who don't like them except maybe the real serious framer types who prefer wood.  Personally I find Estwing forgiving for new users as well as old and indestructible.

Don't be shy on a 4 foot level, buy a good one and take GOOD care of it -- this is one thing you need to have decent quality in if nothing else -- at least that's just me.

Get a 2 foot level that you can afford to break or drop etc

Carpenters square and T-Square (for drywall) are important and indispensable.

Get a cats claw (nail puller) and a decent belt too (but you don't have to spend $200 on a belt -- $50 ought to be fine -- just remember that it will be used a TON.

Stanley makes decent tape measures and don't mess around!  Buy 1" tape!!!  I have a 25 foot Stanley that is 20 years old, two 30's that are new and a few others that are nicer but the Stanley's don't care if I drop them :P

If I think of more I'll add it here but in general, hand tools are important to have (saws even) as well as cordless drills, good squares and levels, sturdy hammer (22 oz waffle faced framer and maybe a 20oz finishing smooth faced)...

Shawn B

Erik,

My dad had that same "Skill-Saw" he bought in '74-'75 and it died in 2002. :( I'm not sure but I think he buried it by moonlight in the backyard  ::)

Shawn
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

TeeCee19

Thanks Erik for the advice on tools. I am in the process of collecting tools. Getting several per month as $$ will afford me. I truly like your advice on buying "lesser priced" tools in some cases and taking care of them, making them as valuable as the higher priced tools. I am so excited that I will be traveling to my cabin "spot" in a few weeks to participate in a lot clearing. It will be the first "stage" of my building process. I will take lots of pictures. This should give me a much clearer VIEW of what my cabin lot will look like. Maybe I can decide on the exact location and other specifics of the cabin and the storage building I plan to build.
Tee Cee

TeeCee19

Erik and others keep ya fingers crossed. Headed to East Texas this weekend for the club meeting and supposed to clear my lot on Saturday. Finally got it arranged (hope). Seems like its taken me forever to get to this juncture. I remember everyone on here saying , always count on everything taken LONGER than you originally plan. I plan to take lots of pictures of the area for you guys this time...
Tee Cee

OlJarhead

Quote from: TeeCee19 on September 16, 2010, 03:46:21 PM
Erik and others keep ya fingers crossed. Headed to East Texas this weekend for the club meeting and supposed to clear my lot on Saturday. Finally got it arranged (hope). Seems like its taken me forever to get to this juncture. I remember everyone on here saying , always count on everything taken LONGER than you originally plan. I plan to take lots of pictures of the area for you guys this time...

Good luck!

It does often get frustrating but ya just have to keep telling yourself:  It is what it is.  And then move on :)

I find that once the time is gone I just have to look forward to the next time :D

Enjoy it!

considerations

"So, I should be doing my Craiglist searching now? Tools, then materials, right?"

Hate to say it, but don't  pawn shops...one man's disaster is another's good fortune.

TeeCee19

Considerations
I actually have my eyes on some tools at a local pawn shop here. They will give me 30 day warranty of some kind and discount for buying more than one tool!! I saw a nice saw and several good drills!!...So, I may try that out ..
Tee Cee

dug

A couple of things about buying used, pawnshops or wherever. Always know the new price of any item you are looking at, I have found that often what they are asking isn't that far off from what you could buy it new, especially in pawn shops.

I was looking at a Porter Cable framing nailer at our local pawn shop. It did look practically new in the case but they were asking $190. I informed them that HD had the same tool new for $200 and then offered them that amount ($200 straight up-no tax) for the nailer and a nice compressor with hose and couplings. They took it.

Also- when looking at something such as a circular saw remember that you likely need to buy a new blade, only about 10 bucks for a decent one but something to consider.

considerations

Boy is my grammar suffering, its a wonder you even got my meaning about pawn shops.  And dug is right.  But it is always buyer beware no matter if you are buying new or used.  Quality is not the 1st thing on a manufacturer's list anymore it seems.

TeeCee19

Got the lot cleared!! ;D Took ONLY ONE picture(had camera problems) >:(.
BUT, I am going back this weekend. I will take LOTS of pictures...Gonna try to get a bead on where I put the cabin and my storage shed(plan on buildign it first..for practice and storage of tools, materials, etc..). CLoser I get to building it, the more I CANT make up my mind on what plans I want to use. Maybe after I start on the storage shed, it will give me an idea of what I want and what I am capable of building...Thanks Dug and Considerations for your last posts and comments. I am working on tools and materials as we speak. Going to look at some windows today.(found a lady who is remodeling a home and she is GIVING me access to a lot of her old stuff. ) missed out on two sinks and a door..BUt, she is contacting me FIRST on everything else, before she puts it on craiglist.. She loves the fact that Im going to build my own cabin!! [cool]
Tee Cee

Ndrmyr

If you have the tool available, at some point in the process you will use it. Bevel Guage, 3 kinds of pry bars, five different ladders, Framing nailer, narrow crown stapler, Miter Saw on a stand, work site table saw, yep, use em nearly every day on my project. Thank God for auctions. DON'T forget the sledge hammer, you WILL need it.
If in doubt, screw it!  Much easier to re-work than nails.  You can take something apart three times that has been screwed, not so if nailed.
Good luck!
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

TeeCee19

Ndrmyr..
What is a narrow crown stapler? I have an idea by the name, but, not exactly sure...Thanks for the ideas and list...I am so excited...
Tee Cee

nathan.principe

Hey TeeCee, wanted to give you some insite on what has helped tremendously on my project, planning, planning, and more planning (at least in the construction/framing aspect).  This has allowed me to accuratly precut all the lumber at my house in dallas, label the peices, and assemble at the property.  I cant imagine how much longer it would take me to do all those steps on site, wouldnt be half as far as I am now.  This could go horribly wrong tho, if you dont take the time to sit down and work all the details and dimensions out on paper, then recheck, and recheck again!