Cabin Expansion

Started by ohwimi, February 03, 2011, 06:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohwimi

This is my cabin in NE Wisconsin. It sits on 9 acres. I didn't build it but would like to expand it and move there permanently in a couple of years (sooner if possible). It is a 20 x 24 footprint with loft. I'm thinking that I could put a 12 x 30 addition on each side eventually. Since I have ADD (architecture deficit disorder) I am humbly asking for some brainstorming ideas. Does my idea sound feasible? To put it another way....if this was your cabin what would you do to expand it? Thanks.
https://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc394/wactober/

MountainDon

w* ans

In photobucket if you copy the fourth tag down the list, the IMG Code and paste that into the message the image will show once the message is posted.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

I'd have to think a bit about how to add onto the sides of an A-frame. Probably similar to a vertical wall, but different.  ???

Don_P, where are you?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Proud_Poppa

I'd think about adding on to the back of the existing cabin. Tying in new structures to the sloping roof on the sides might be problematic.
Near McCormick's Creek State Park, Owen County Indiana

Redoverfarm

Somewhat like a dormer but with a few more bells and whistles.  Not sure whether you should stay with the same designed roof style or something less.   ???.  When thinking a add-on to an A-frame might be alot of wasted space. There would be unuseable space from the existing roof until you built out your addition to 1/2 width of the original structure.  If this addition was made at the time of the original build then this area could have been left open (roof of A-frame) at that intersection.  There may be a way to re-inforce that area and cut away the wasted roof line now but I would leave that to the professionals.  I thought over the years I had seen something done here at one time or another. Maybe someone else will recall.

Don_P

Cross another A frame through it at 90 degrees?

Squirl

Let's see if I can articulate my thoughts in an organized fashion.  I believe you wanted to add a 12x30 addition to each side.  Difficult, but not impossible. You could probably accomplish it with some type of dormer framing.  Although, the sizing of the lumber to span that kind of distance, I have no idea. Most dormers I have seen are a few feet wide and need a double rafter.  Even spanning a header/girder 12 ft unsupported is very difficult. Maybe someone can give you more insight into how to frame this.

I believe the question was, "what would I do for an expansion".  First, I probably wouldn't expand.  I am fairly used to living in a similar square footage.  I would probably build outbuildings (garage, barn, workshop, root cellar, etc.).  I don't like the concept of spending a ton of money and effort to heat and cool my stuff.  

I assume you are looking to add a spouse and children to the mix for the amount of square footage you are proposing.  A simple addition and one that I would probably make is a 10x12 shed roof addition to the front and back.  You could easily add the foundation where the porch currently is now.

If you are set on building another 700 sq. ft., I would build a corridor (mud room/laundry) to a whole separate building.
Even though they are aesthetically pleasing, and fast to build, the loss of square footage and difficulty of expansion are the main drawbacks to an A frame.
BTW  w*

ohwimi

Thanks for the ideas so far. I am not set on building another 700 sq ft....its just a descent size I picked....if it was possible without too much difficulty. I already have the wife and kids and we currently use the cabin for vacations. As I said I would like to make this a permanent residence. I thought about the shed roof addition, especially on the front. The corridor to another building just might be the cat's meow though. Its good to have something more doable to think about!

Squirl

I didn't realize so many people were already involved.  I could see a small 8-10 ft wide room fitting well in there.  You could even make it into a kitchen, but the most common I have seen it is as a mudroom.  In my experience it has always been easier to build from scratch, than to deal with other people's mistakes and fitting pieces in a renovation.  I'm sure others have great ideas to through in.  We would love updates as you go.  We especially love pictures.  ;D

Bob S.

Have you looked at Rocking23Nf's posting in the owner builder forum?
It's listed as -- Some Reno pics, French door 12X12 exstension.

ohwimi

Bob S.
I did look at Rocking23Nf's pictures that you recommended...it looks to me like the dormer was part of the original build. I guess that would make it easier to add on by going through the dormer. I'm getting the feeling that expanding through the sides my not be the best way to go.

rocking23nf

It was already there, but we completly removed it to expand outwards, if yours is built like mine, its perfect because i have a 24x24, and its 4 large beams/rafters(not sure what the right wording is on an aframe), and they are spaced 8 feet apart, which was perfect for the opening, and there was no structural changes to the existing structute.

The hardest part by far was connecting to the existing roof. Alot of cutting and flashing. 

John Raabe

Assuming you would want to do an addition off the sloped sidewall you could build a completely self supporting gable roofed addition right up to the side of the A-frame. Then build a cricket from the gable roof of the addition over to the A-frame roof. This is not adding (much) new weight to the old roof. So far so good. However, you now have to open up a way to get from the A-frame into the addition. Since an A-frame is all roof you have to do what you would do for a dormer - namely double the roof rafters on either side of the opening and put in a double header at the top of this opening. Depending on the depth of the rafters this could work for a 4' to 6' wide opening. If you want a wider opening then you should get some help to make sure it is supported fully.

The problem with this method is that there is most likely a ceiling that has to be stripped off to do this rafter thing. You may also need some blocking between rafters to support what can be called the new dormer sidewalls. This would involve more stripping away of the ceiling.
None of us are as smart as all of us.