bend  5/8 cdx panels by kerfing?

Started by firefox, November 01, 2007, 11:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefox

Is this crazy or can I put a bend in a 5/8cdx panel by kerfing it. This is for a low pitch roof to
make a nice rounded peak with no seams? Or am I asking for it?
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

glenn kangiser

How much have you got to do, Bruce?  

What pitch are you going to?

How successful it may be will depend on what you are doing.

Here is some info including the kerf method.  Steam could help.

http://www.onlinetips.org/bend-plywood
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote... to make a nice rounded peak with no seams?
Mmmm? If you could make the sheathing seamless over the roof, okay. But then what? What type of roofing would have no seams over the peak? Only roll roofing comes to my mind.   :-/ :-/  
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Off hand I would say that you can but as stated it would depend on the radius that you are going after. 3/12, 4/12 or maybe 5/12 but anything else I think it would may be doubtful without steam. As Don stated what is your final product going to be. If there is going to be a ridge vent then your effort wil be fruitless.

firefox

It is a rise of 16" over a run of 60" This is just a simple garage so there is no
rige vent or anything like that. Also this is only 16' x10' with a 2' over hang on the front.
I was figuring on two sheets of osb on each side and two for the top, the one sheet spit in two for the overhang. It is a little unsymetrical because one sid has an overhang and the other side doesn't,
but the total linear feet is 12x 20.

I was contemplating using some galvanize sheets that I have which are 9'x4' x 12ga aprox.
on top of some 30# felt then some roll roofing on that to appease the neighbors. My goal is to have it last without getting into anything too complicated. Oops, did I really say that?

Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

MountainDon

Quote....galvanize sheets that I have which are 9'x4' x 12ga aprox....     ...have it last without getting into anything too complicated.
12 Ga. Steel !!??   :o  As in 0.1046 inch thick, or almost 7/64 " ??  At 4.25 lbs/sq. ft. ??? Wow!!  :o

As for the CDX plywood, don't bother with kerfing and attempting to bend it, IMO. Cut the sheet in the appropriate place and nail it down. Cover with felt and then roll roofing if that's what the finished top surface will be. Tar the lap seams and edges, or whatever the manufacturer says to do and save the hassle of getting the steel into place. IMO. I wouldn't want to deal with getting those puppies up on any roof. Durable though I suppose.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

firefox

Hi Don, I lied, now that I think about it it couldn't be 12 ga. It is probably more like 24 ga.
You're right, I would be totally out of it to try to put 12 ga up there.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

PEG688

QuoteHi Don, I lied, now that I think about it it couldn't be 12 ga. It is probably more like 24 ga.
You're right, [highlight]I would be totally out of it[/highlight] to try to put 12 ga up there.
Bruce

We know that Bruce  ::) It started when you asked about kerf bending 5/8" CDX ;D

IF, (((((((((< and your case here is not a good / normal / needed ,  way to do it >))))))))) one needed to bend ply , the way to do it is use either 1/8"  door skin , or 1/4  to 3/8" ply  [highlight]<depending on the raduis needed>,  [/highlight]and laying it up in "lifts " using a carpenters glue like Titebond III between plys.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

firefox

Peg, you foud me out!!! Darn, can't get away with anything. What you say makes sense,
and I wouldn't have thought about laying it up like that, but I can tell it would be a hell of lot stronger that way.

I was going to take pics, but it turns out that the camera I have is playing sick. I think the charger part of it doesn't work. I can't complain though since a friend of mine gave it to me. when it works
it does a pretty good job though.

Thanks for setting me straight Peg!
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824