Communication in times of emergency

Started by cbc58, October 28, 2008, 07:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc58

Being the conspiracy theorist that I am... , I wonder if there is an alternative "channel" to get and distribute information other than the standard internet.  Does anyone know if there is such a thing that people could connect to that is like the internet... but is trusted and where you are sure to get truthful information.

I think we may be headed into a total financal collapse soon and I can see the government taking control of everything if it gets too bad.

Not a happy thought but things don't appear great.

MountainDon

When a government deems it in their best interest to limit communications they will do like China and use advanced filtering systems like the Great Firewall of China. It can search new Web pages and restrict access in real time. It can also search blogs for subversive content and block Internet users from visiting them. Cuba has banned private Internet access completely -- to get on the Internet, you have to go to a public access point.

There would be no "back door" available to you or me. There would be no secure method of communications other than face to face and that cold be eavesdropped upon.  :(
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Shortwave would still be your best source for news. As for personal communications, short range. If they can't pick up the signal, they can't listen to it.
As Don pointed out, the net will be toast for most but...for the more inventative, it is still doable. Even China has a fair amount of leakage.

For really secure communication in very rural areas, consider a heliograph. You can't hear what you can't see. A more high tech method is a modulated laser. Very narrow beam.

You might want to look for some 6 meter ham radio equipment. It's a world wide band and you can use voice, code and I believe, packet.
Also look at 10 meter, you can take it up to 11 meter (CB) and there is a lot of illegal transmission inbetween the two.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

I have discussed this with a person with much inside knowledge of the situation and he says that the elite are working feverishly to try to destroy the standard internet, so in the future communication, no videos, high priced and very limited net MAY become the norm (nothing for sure due to informed public pressure).  

If the public wakes up and voices their disgust and outrage at every opportunity they may keep the old net going --- only a guess on that though.  For the most part, the public are a head in the sand, I dont want to look, gov take care and protect me, bunch of p-ssies.  They get what they ask for and it is being used to take care of them.  It did not work stopping the bailout - the publics communications were intercepted and overridden by the treasonous criminals in office - our representatives with so many personal things to lose.  

They were totally ignored and lied to by the treasonous representatives they put in charge.  

This is where opening your eyes and waking up can help everyone.  There are not enough of them to defend themselves against public outrage so get your friends to look.  See what the elite are doing in regard to destroying the country, non-stop war and destruction of the financial system.

Another communications system?  No.  With the exception of those mentioned by peter but not effective for a replacement of the net.

My inside contact says no.  Every major electronics  communication device you now use is able to be bugged.  They don't have to get it in to your hands - you bought it and carried it into the room.  Nice new digital widescreen TV, eh.  The wonder of GPS - even on my cell phone - I can tell where I'm at within 9 feet.  Great new digital cell phone service, eh?  Lots of memory and features on that new Vista Computer, eh? (Software design in conjunction with the NSA)...don't worry - they were in on the older systems too.

Every new major electronics gadget you have can likely be turned on to listen and or watch even if turned off.  On the good side he says that they only monitor the ones that they have an interest in.  Monitoring is optional.

Secure safe optional communications ..... yes --- it is a horse and instructions are in the old Pony Express Stories.

You can dispense with the Black Chopper jokes on this one.  My contact rode up in one.  I saw his pilot's license.

References to confirm this type of information:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=2444

← Orbiting the blogosphere

Commentary from 4409 →
The NSA & FBI admit they listen to your cell phones - on or off
"2   nugget on 08.21.08 at 8:17 am

ok: 'listening to citizens when phones are turned off'? Don't you mean tracking citizens via the mini-GPS in the phone and not 'listening'?
#3 admin on 08.21.08 at 9:31 am

Hi nugget - Yes they can actually listen to you via your cell phone on or off as long as there is a battery so they can connect and turn on the mic."

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Find-Freedom.htm?At=037235&From=News

Rise and Shine, kids.  It's a beautiful day outside. as my mom used to say.

Enjoy the sunshine before they take it away.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

Glenn, your friend is correct for things like cell phones. The people that say ALL electronic devices can be operated remotely, have their foil hats on too tight. There is NO way to remotely turn a radio on that has a good old fashioned SPST swhitch in the power chain.

Also, going lower frequency (Called HF in Ham circles) and taking it a little off frequency, especially in SSB mode so there is no carrier, greatly reduces the chance of being scanned. There is a ton of natural radiation at these levels that will stop a scan. It just goes from noise to the next to the next.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

Right but, for the uninformed, most new TV's etc. are not really off when they are off. They have digital computers in them that are programmable.   Your computer if on the net and turned off can communicate even if off. Things with batteries are programmable to send info if the battery is in.  No - not all but many.

I oversimplified it by saying all, but most high tech communications devices, TV's etc. are connected or able to be.  Cell phones have already been used in mafia busts.  There is a reason the old TV systems are being phased out and even the push for access to the net by all is made by a part of gov that wants a way into our private lives.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

ScottA

I'm glad to see a new conspiricy thread. For a minute there I thought CP had gone establishment.  c* Control of communications will be key in controling the masses. I'd say we'll be back to coded radio messages but even that won't be safe because they'll just crack the codes. I think I'll just hide in the trees and hope they don't notice me.  [toilet]

apaknad

unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

MountainDon

Ham radios would work for communicating with those few others who have them.

Shortwave would be good for listening to foreign broadcasts. I don't know how much good that would be as I think if we (USA) went down the tubes so far that our internet access was cut off or censored, the rest of the countries you could trust for news would either be already there at the bottom, or follow soon enough.

On the other hand if things really went to hell in a handbasket there would be nobody to do the controlling The internet would fall apart though as there would be nobody paying the bills.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

apaknad

wonder why my last post did not go on?
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

MountainDon

internet censorship.   [crz] rofl

probably more like me at times, brain fade, closing the window without hitting the post button  d*

StinkerBell

I note that no one acknowledge my low tech alternatives....Jealous? heh

MountainDon

MountainDon

Quote from: benevolance on October 28, 2008, 02:47:54 PM
I was talking to my wife and her uncle the other day was why couldn't someone with a bunch of money who hates government keep the old analogue TV signal going...I mean it worked flawlessly for the last 60 years...
Following the hijack... the main reason would be that the frequency area used for analog TV is going to be sold off at auction for other uses.

Have you seen digital TV signals vs analog?? Before seeing the difference I was of the opinion that the change had nothing to recommend it, that it was a waste of time, effort and money. I have now seen the light. There is an amazing difference in clarity. Unfortunately it is also true that in some areas the signal for some channels may disappear. For example, I'm going to have to raise the antenna in the mountains, or perhaps buy a better, bigger one. However, all the channels that do come in digitally have much cleaner, sharper looking pictures and that's with converting the signal to an analog TV set.

Depending on your locale you might also receive channels you never got before. Here we get an all weather all the time channel (like on cable) with the NBC affiliate. There is a channel 4-1 (regular programming) and a channel 4-2 (weather). The local PBS channel has three sub channels.

MountainDon

furthermore... regarding analog vs digital for cell phones.

To be fair both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. Depending upon the side of the fence you're viewing from, a feature or difference might be perceived as a plus or a minus. In the following list the +'s and the -'s are my own interpretation of whether or not it's a good or bad thing. Some of my +'s may be een as being weighted towards the cell phone operators, like digital having the ability to carry more conversations per channel. In a free market place that would allow the digital service to serve more callers at the same time. That would reduce the cost to each. Of course the higher digital infrastructure costs have to be factored into that so it's not necessarily going to be 1/3 the cost.

DIGITAL
+ makes internet possible thru cell phone services
+ allows a tower to carry more conversations at a time; more bang for the buck to the operator (Digital technology allows it to cram lots of those 1s and 0s (binary code) together into the same space an analog signal uses)
+ allows the extras that earn mega dollars for the operators. I'm okay with this because I don't buy into all those extras. I use and pay for what I want.
+ more difficult to clone digital phones than analog
+ much better battery life compared to analog
+ better call security (requires more sophisticated equipment; cuts out casual eavesdropping)
- roaming may be more difficult because of different digital systems (TDMA, CDMA, GSM) and the need for more towers

ANALOG
- no data services
+ a tower can serve a larger geographic area than on digital...
- ...but fewer users at a time
+ cheaper service to setup/build
+ phones are cheaper
- calls can have more noise/interference
- no call security at all
+ all analog systems can talk to each other if permitted by the operators
+ in a strong signal area analog can have a richer sound than digital
- a low signal strength, noise interference can make the connection worse than not having a signal at all

For call quality and range differences think AM radio vs FM radio, or vinyl records vs CD's.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: apaknad on October 28, 2008, 12:43:17 PM
what about ham radios MD?

Ham radios were all blocked by the military at Katrina -- seems there were ops going on there that were not on the up and up -- about the time of the fight between the feds and NOLA Police on the bridge and longer.  Before the levy was blown as I recall.... [crz]

There - that should get something started, Scott.   Go establishment.... I re-uhllllly don't think so --- of course I am not really CP.... just a volunteer here and I really don't represent the views of CP... I just run my mouth.... and I may not even represent my own views.... I just like to see action. [rofl2]

cordwood

Quote from: benevolance on October 28, 2008, 06:13:30 PM
And yes at the new house we bought a digital cable convertor for the old Television...We get half a dozen channels.. maybe 8 I dunno... picture is okay... not great...I cannot see the difference...

We have been on broadcast antenna for a few years and got a box about three months ago. I didn't change anything just installed it and turned it on,.........Result was clearer picture when it came in and a few more channels. After a few adjustments (the signal strength meter is a great addition) I got a lot better picture and sound out of the same antenna. The only problem I have seen so far is instead of getting a snowy picture it pixelates and you loose the picture altogether.
As far as using squab signal I would suggest Kevlar vests for the little guys or someone may hack your "P"mail with a 12 gauge :o :(
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

MountainDon

peternap

Quote from: glenn kangiser on October 28, 2008, 07:02:04 PM
Quote from: apaknad on October 28, 2008, 12:43:17 PM
what about ham radios MD?

Ham radios were all blocked by the military at Katrina -- seems there were ops going on there that were not on the up and up -- about the time of the fight between the feds and NOLA Police on the bridge and longer.  Before the levy was blown as I recall.... [crz]

There - that should get something started, Scott.   Go establishment.... I re-uhllllly don't think so --- of course I am not really CP.... just a volunteer here and I really don't represent the views of CP... I just run my mouth.... and I may not even represent my own views.... I just like to see action. [rofl2]

That's one of those cases where the people reporting, just sensationalized Glenn. It would be completely impossible to block "HAM" radio. There is a HAM band in virtually every step of the spectrum from Daylight to DC.

What did happen I think, is that they jammed the repeaters on 2 meter and I expect scanned the 2 meter band. I'm not a HAM operator but do borrow some of their frequencies from time to time :)
Two meter is the CB of the HAM world. Jamming the repeaters cuts the range way down. The band is small enough that it can be easily scanned and they could interfere with those communications.

Some of the more sophisticated communications, especially in the microwave range, like moon bounce, would just be beyond what the military could put together that fast. Granted, HAM radio operators aren't the tinkerers they once were, but they are still capable of staying ahead of mobile jamming equipment.

glenn kangiser

Major reason for the switch on the cell phones was spying.  Easy to program a digital computer to wake up unknown to the owner.  Can't do it with analog.  

The new TV's hooked to the cable or satelite - going all digital soon as I recall -- that will find the rest of you who don't want to spring for a cell phone.

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/reviews/SpyTV.html      (old News)

I don't know the date of this and haven't read all of it but it explains some possibilities and who is trying to do it.  Gov is there to help.

http://www.whitedot.org/spyinteractive/

glenn kangiser

Jamming was done from the Gulf of Mexico.  A friend who is a ham operator confirmed it.  I can't say all was jammed.  All I can say was it was reported and I am also aware that some was used at other times for emergency services.

Here is a report similar to the ones I heard during Katrina.  Later reports of it being misreported would of course be stories to cover their tracks.  ::)

http://www.mail-archive.com/cypherpunks-moderated@minder.net/msg12057.html

MountainDon

Funny, I never brought games, music, ringtones, HD TV (different from digital), PinP,  into the argument.
I guess that's simply to try and confuse the issue.

Call clarity, phone cloning, battery life mean nothing at all?  ???

I may as well digress as well.
So I suppose you'd say there was...
no advantage to CD's vs CD's, or video tape vs DVD-RW's, TIVO, etc...
no advantage to computer controlled multipoint fuel injection vs carburetors,
no advantage to frost free refrigerators vs the old ice box,
no advantage to CFL lamps vs whale oil and spermacetti candles,
no advantage to a 90% AFUE furnace with programmable thermostat vs a coal burning beast in the basement, no advantage to present day medical care vs bloodletting...

All of the above seem to cost more at first glance.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: MountainDon on October 28, 2008, 07:36:47 PM
Funny, I never brought games, music, ringtones, HD TV (different from digital), PinP,  into the argument.
I guess that's simply to try and confuse the issue.

Call clarity, phone cloning, battery life mean nothing at all?  ???

I may as well digress as well.
So I suppose you'd say there was...
no advantage to CD's vs CD's, or video tape vs DVD-RW's, TIVO, etc...
no advantage to computer controlled multipoint fuel injection vs carburetors,
no advantage to frost free refrigerators vs the old ice box,
no advantage to CFL lamps vs whale oil and spermacetti candles,
no advantage to a 90% AFUE furnace with programmable thermostat vs a coal burning beast in the basement, no advantage to present day medical care vs bloodletting...

All of the above seem to cost more at first glance.

No ... I admit that tons more can be done with digital - no doubt at all.

Along with the advantage of nearly unlimited spying capabilities.