A 24'x18' straw bale lodge

Started by Drew, December 09, 2007, 06:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

PVC exposed to the sun will break down fairly quickly. You should wrap all your risers as soon as possible with something to protect them from the sun.

Drew

Thanks for that, Scott.  Would paint do or should I go with something stronger?

MD, are there screws I can use that would work okay, or should I resign myself to nails?

MountainDon

Not certain about other screws. You could try some "regular" plated screws; not the "deck" or those gold colored zinc plated ones. If you take a deck screw and screw it in about 2/3 the way and side whack it with a hammer you'll see they tend to snap off rather than bend. You could try a regular, garden variety screw and see if it bends. I think they might.  :-\ :-\

Re the PVC: Too bad we didn't think of the sunlight earlier... you could've used the grey Carlon electrical PVC, it's got UV inhibitors in it.   Anyhow anything to keep the sun's UV rays off the PVC should work. Paint should work. Laaaarge size heat shrink tubing? Hose?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

Paint might work if you put it on thick enough and it's a dark color. I was thinking foil tape.

MountainDon

Latex exterior brush on should work... did for me on one riser I didn't have the right stuff for.

The aluminum foil tape would be good. It sticks well. I covered the RV overhead bunk window with strips of it on a trip years ago to keep the sun out. It's still there and it gets the brunt of the wind going down the highway at 65 mph.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I heard paint will work, years ago.  If you don't, in 20 years or so schedule 40 will likely break.  Don't ask me how I know.

Exposed PEX will only go about 6 months before breaking --  I experimented with that.

Maybe you need a compressor and palm nailer for those computer wrists, Drew.

...and last but not least, we missed your postings, Drew.  You don't know how many sleepless nights I spent running to the computer to see if you posted, then just sat there hoping to see a new one pop up. 

I like ol' slick Willy.  Did you get it fastened down.  Possibly you could tie it down with some scraps or rags, maybe an old blue dress or something.

Thanks for checking in with that great update. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Drew

Me and my boots are in another cube in Redwood City.  This one is a little more what I'm used to.  No window, boxes of floppies, and a big old magnetic bulk eraser with dire warning signs all around it.  If it goes on my pen will fly through my head like a Halloween movie.  Exciting.

I like the idea of the aluminum tape.  Maybe it will make the County dudes think I'm hiding evidence of their alien abduction.

Can a palm nailer, or anything else for that matter, drive a 16d nail through the tiny holes in a Simpson bracket, Glenn?  I'm willing to give it a shot.

MountainDon

If the nail will go through the hole the palm nailer can do it. Some places may have clearance problems between the palm nailer and surrounding timber.

Redoverfarm

Drew they are basicly the same diameter holes. Simpson nails are just a little beefier.  I saw Harbor Freight had a palm nailer for $29 and a compressor for $69.

MountainDon

Nail size depends on the Simpson product. Some are punched for 10D nails.

Might be a bit tough to drive a 16D through the hole. That's why I said if the nail fits, nail it.

glenn kangiser

Yup, Drew.  The palm nailer drives them one nail at a time just like a hammer, but without damaging those computer manipulating wrists.  (I think you need a good steak, boy.  Them there vegetables aren't adding muscle mass to those there arms.)

Trust me -- you'll love it.

I think the Harbor Freight one has the 60d driver for 6 inch spikes also -- not an extra but I may be wrong --- not that I'm often wrong --- I just haven't checked...and the Harbor Freight one will likely work pretty good and is guaranteed.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Drew

You were right about the palm nailer, Glenn.  Though I came back to see your Harbor Freight version after I got my Duh-What?  I mean, Dewalt one.

I was working with my son, Dave, when the nailer started leaking air on the sixth nail and stopped working.  "Heaven's sakes!" I said.  No I didn't.  "What shall we do now?  We drove all this way, all for naught!"

"Why don't you read the manual, Dad?"

He's the one who suggested going around the rock in the middle of our irrigation trench instead of through it.  He couldn't be that brilliant twice, could he?

Well, yeah.  I looked at the book and it told me that the tool could have gotten stuck mid-cycle and that I should whack it a few times.  Well, I was already in the mood for a little percussive maintenance, so I went at it.  No joy.  I took it apart and moved the bits around.  No luck.  It still leaked air when I connected it up and started the compressor, just like the Manual said.

Then I took things out of order by accident.  I've never owned an air tool before, so this was all new to me.  I turned on the compressor and had about 20 psi in the hose when I hooked it up to the nailer.  "Thuck!" said the nailer and began to hold air.  "Oh, rapturous joy!" I said.  No I didn't.

We nailed for four more hours in the 90 degree heat and finished all the brackets for the 21-post foundation.  We thought we'd start in on the cross-braces but decided to go at it fresh next time.  We had a good day's work in by that time and Dave wanted to see about a tent at the Army surplus store.

The compressor I got is kind of little and lets me do about 4 nails before I have to let it catch up.  I'm not crazy about that, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with  big compressor right off.  It is easy to move around the place with the other tools.  If I do more of this maybe I'll get a bigger one and we can run both at the same time.   Until then I won't be working so fast I mess up my wrists much.

So next time it'll be cross braces and cementing the footings.  Our foundation will be all set and we can get to the floor and framing.  That stuff is good for a bit of troop morale!

I left water in the irrigation system for 2 weeks.  Between expansion, compression, and a little evaporation, we lost between 1/3 and 1/2 gallons.  I call that a success.  I think we can bury the pipe now and set out some drip lines.

No pictures this time since there isn't much new stuff that shows up that way.  The place is an amazing green right now and the snakes are still leaving us alone.

Glenn, that nailer was the ticket.  Thanks for the advice.

Redoverfarm

Glad to hear from you again Drew.  What was your final fix on the UV protection for your pvc?

glenn kangiser

My pleasure, Drew, and glad to hear from you again too.

We always look forward to your updates and adventures.

Anxiously awaiting your next one. :)

Drew

Hey y'all.

I got to go up to the farm last week.  I drove up by myself Thursday night and stayed through Saturday.  Since we got the 40' container Casa Guacamole has reverted more to a 10'x12' sleeping cabin.  Perfect for a gradually ripening, Unibomber-looking dude who started talking to himself more than usual.

But the weather and fates were kind.  This is what it looked like when we finished a couple weekends ago.

On Friday I did the cross-braces, put concrete on the feet, got the floor materials, and nailed inmost of the Simpson brackets.  My dad came out Saturday and we put it all in place.  Check out the symetrically placed hurricane clips.  Yep.  If this thing blows away I plan to take an acre of dirt with me.

We got the first course of OSB in and ran out of adhesive.  I learned that my leftovers don't keep, even if they are still sealed.  That's okay.  Dan and Dave were bummed at missing all the fun.

Looking at the thing from the ground gives me a bad feeling in my gut.  One end always looks high, and that one end changes when you walk around the thing.  It has to do with the grade and the lines that trick the eye.  Still the level is bang on in every direction.  Then I stood on it and all those fears went away.  This was the only truly flat spot for hundreds of yards.  I could feel it in my feet and back.  And the level.

I'm trying to get everyone up there again at least for Saturday (More 4H on Sunday.).  Flooring and framing is a lot more satisfying.   But who am I telling?

glenn kangiser

Impressive, Drew, and looks like the wrists have healed up nicely.

Second pix has a bit of a spaceship look to it --- A big wooden mother ship waiting to whisk you off to the far away galaxy of the Vegans. [crz]

Redoverfarm

Nice progress Drew.  Had the same thing in levelness "trick to the eye" on my loft floor.  My son took a 4' level and checked.  Maybe a little but nothing I will loose any sleep over.  It was that the log had a bow and looked to throw off the floor where it met them.  Are ya going to have a picnic on the deck when it finished? Or maybe a night of camping on it?  ;D ;D ;D

Drew

Greeting from Planet Vegan.  Live Long and Parsley.

Camping?  Picnic?  Heaven's no!  It's an ag-exemption permitted building!  I'm not allowed to actually enter it.  I can throw tools and manure through the door and haul them back out with a rake, but that's it.  I don't want to lose the trust the County has given me.   [yuk] [crz]  That said, my tools will be a lot more comfortable at night in the winter.   ;)

I'm thinking about making a 10'x12' grey water outhouse with a composting toilet, shower and sink to accompany this thing.  That way I don't have to run water through the bale wall.  The irrigation line gives us 30+ psi down there.  It's great!

20 acres of math problems.  Ya gotta love the place!

ScottA

Looks slightly tilted in the last picture.  :o You sure you used the level correctly, Drew?  c*

Drew

You bet, Scott.  I put the level out on the floor, then shimmed one side until the little bubble was in the center.   

Naw.  Actually I kept buying and trying levels until I found one that gave me the answer I wanted.   :D

glenn kangiser

I thought it said  you slammed one side of the level until the bubble was in the center.

That should work too. [crz]

fishing_guy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on April 22, 2008, 06:53:07 AM
Nice progress Drew.  Had the same thing in levelness "trick to the eye" on my loft floor.  My son took a 4' level and checked.  Maybe a little but nothing I will loose any sleep over.  It was that the log had a bow and looked to throw off the floor where it met them.  Are ya going to have a picnic on the deck when it finished? Or maybe a night of camping on it?  ;D ;D ;D

It seems to me that this site had a tradition of dancing on the finished deck pictures.  Drew?
(Maybe I'll be sorry I asked....but...have to keep those traditions up...)

Found it...now you're obligated...

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=1717.msg15740#msg15740
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Drew

You know, fishing_guy, I was just thinking of that very picture when we put the last of the OSB on today.  Technically I still need to trim the edges and put on the forward braces to be finished, but when I do, I will treat you (and everyone!) to my break-dancing robot interpretive ballet!

Oh, I've been wating for someone to ask.  Thank you!  Thank you!

PS:  I think driving with an open can of PVC pipe dope in the truck is not as good an idea as I once thought.

glenn kangiser

Keep it in a brown paper bag, Drew.

I was also going to mention the mandatory platform dancing photo, but somehow the thought leaked out of my holey mind. [crz]

Let's see...that must have been last Sunday... hmm

glenn kangiser

Drew, I heard you had a big fire up your way -- missed you I hope. hmm