14x24 basement possible?

Started by nick53, July 10, 2008, 09:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick53

I'm looking at the possibility of purchasing the builders cottage plans and building this small house.  The house would be for full time living for a single person.  With the building being for full time living I would want space for a washing machine and mechanicals in the basement.  So with that said, my question is this:  do the plans come with details on a full height basement?  And if so, how is the basement accessed?  With square footage at a premium I don't know if a "typical" basement access would be appropriate.  I was thinking of something along the lines of a "trap door" that lies flush with the floor and can be pulled open to access stairs to the basement.  I have no idea if something like that would be to code or not.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

Nick

John Raabe

Nick:

A basement is possible and the changes to the foundation plan of the Builder's Cottage are that the footing would need to go to 8x16 and the wall to 8" thick. There would be rebar required depending on how deep the backfill would be but the supply yard or a local subcontractor could help you with that.

The bigger issue is access, as you note. A full sized stair takes a lot of space out of that little house. That is why the plan I have with a full basement is the two story 20' Universal Cottage. There the layout has room for a full "U" shaped stair that can be stacked between floors.

Most code areas want to see a full code stair internal between the house main floor and the basement.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Redoverfarm

nick53 in reading your post I understand your delimia. But a basement in which the only access is a trap door you are limiting your accessability and not to mention "how are you going to get a washer down through there".  Not to mention if it has to be removed , repaired along with other mechanicals in that area.   It is possible to have another exterior door in a full basement with a "Bilco" type door on the exterior.  That is if it is the only option and a walk out is not possible.

I am not completely versed on the particular plan you are interested in but there is always a modification to accommidate your particular needs.  The only problem just as a basement the cost usually goes up.

John Raabe

None of us are as smart as all of us.

nick53

Thanks for the replies guys.  After thinking this through a bit and looking at the bilco basement access doors I came up with a possible solution.  My idea would be to go with a bilco door or if my future site would warrant a walkout basement.  With this type of access I wouldn't have any interior access to the full basement.  Like I said all that I want the basement for would be for a washing machine and mechanicals.  The balance of space would be shelving for food storage and seasonal stuff that doesn't get used all that often.  Is something like this to code??  Or does having a basement mean you MUST have interior access to said basement??  Having to go outside to get to the washing machine wouldn't be that big of a deal, as I'm single and generate much less wash than a normal family.  Also there's a lot of people who must use the laundrymat and they've got to take their wash a lot farther than the few extra steps I'd need to take to get to the basement access. 

I haven't purchased plans or land yet, so I'm just in the beginning stages of kicking around ideas.  This was one thing that just jumped out at me right off the bat, and I really appreciate the replies thus far.

Nick

Redoverfarm

Nick when I suggest the Bilco I wasn't trying to imply that you use it as your primary egress only.  I was thinking down the road so to speak.  So in essence if you could work the trap door for entry from the main living room and use the Bilco entrance for larger storage items or the washer installation or any other large items.  In addition I am sure if at some future point you decided to make it a living space you would have more than one way in and out.

ScottA

We lived in a house once that a shed porch on the rear. The basment stair was at one end of the porch. That wouldn't be hard to add.

glenn kangiser

I've always wanted a fire pole. [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

You could probably do a mean dance.

Ooops, different kind of pole.  :-[

We had a lot of Poles in the north end of town back home. Had some good friends there.

Oooops, wrong pole again.   :o ::)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I'd be afraid to see me on one of those poles.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

bloodyfingers

I think that if you're going to spend substantial money on a foundation, then a larger house on top would make more sense  ???

We've simply added a large closet to the main living area of the cabin and will put in stackable front-loading washer and dryer. A small water-heater can be placed under the kitchen counter, or substitute a shower stall for the full tub and put a small closet in the bathroom.
;D