New House Truckee, CA Historic District

Started by Danfish, April 08, 2011, 03:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danfish

It's been a busy week on the site, start of 2nd concrete pour...interior foundation walls and piers.  After a few days to let concrete cure we'll backfill and begin building base for garage and shop slabs.  Nothing like wrestling with 80 feet of concrete hose to start your day...

Don't forget rebar in those footings & center things up...

Landing for front porch stairway...tied into steps and foundation of 100 + year old fence..

Finished foundation and another view of extent necessary to gain good bearing soil in the area of the old burn pit...don't think the house will tip over...on the other hand since they just uncovered an unknown earthquake fault (6.9 potential scale) just 5 miles away, may be a good thing to have a solid foundation!

Danfish

Ready for garage and shop slab...too many truck loads of 3/4 inch crush rock and a lot of wacker and vibratory plate work, but it is as solid as a rock...

After crawling under many a house, I always told myself if I had the opportunity start from scratch I would make sure it was all covered with pea gravel and include no large roocks...the results...

The last of the permanent erosion control...just in time, it's raining cats and dogs as I post and "snowing" at the higher elevations...

Finally, first wood goes down...

davidj

Yeah, the weather looked pretty unpleasant yesterday.  I was supposed to be bringing up a load of pine to our place but changed my mind when it looked like there might be snow over Donner Pass.  I thought Winter was finally over!

At least your construction drainage plan got some use...

duncanshannon

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

Danfish

Finished up week with pour of slab for garage and shop...

Finished floor...that tops out at 70+ cu. yds. of concrete in this foundation...one small pour left for garage door trench drain and mandoor landing...

MushCreek

Quote from: davidj on June 29, 2011, 11:34:51 AM
Yeah, the weather looked pretty unpleasant yesterday.  I was supposed to be bringing up a load of pine to our place but changed my mind when it looked like there might be snow over Donner Pass.  I thought Winter was finally over!

At least your construction drainage plan got some use...

Seriously- How do you folks decide when last winter ends, and next winter begins? d*
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

altaoaks

Hi Danfish, very impressive!  We passed through Truckie on the way home from a 3 day trip to Reno.  I wish I had spotted this link sooner, I would have enjoyed stopping in to see the progress.  When you got your ducks in a row you really got to the business at hand, CONGRATULATIONS!  I just love Truckie.

Well, is it finally summer up there, I agree that it was looking bad for us for a minute.  We had our dog with us and stopped for "doggie business" at Truckie, then at Kingvale.  You know there was still snow behind the gas station there!  Well, the dog was digging it, but its the 4th of July for God's sake!  Then we made a quick stop at our property in Alta before leaving the mountains.  I wish we could have bottled some of that snow and rain and sent it to NM and Mountain Don! 

Keep up the posting.  Its looking really good!

Danfish

More wood goes down as the pony walls go up for the floor.  Supplier had to sneak 40 foot "I" joist through town early this morning so as to not cause anyone alarm.  Girders to arrive on site tommorrow.  Sure is nice working over all that gravel with afternoon T-storms of the past two days!!!

Danfish

Girders going in...amazing how we once upon a time got away without all these metal connectors...

[imghttps://farm5.staticflickr.com/4233/34870564343_d564e791e8_o_d.jpg[/img]http://

Girders and rim joist in place, next come the floor joist and then it's time for the rough plumbing...

Danfish

Floor joist in, decided to go with a wider flange on the "I" joist, gives more nailing surface for subfloor and stiffens the joist.  Only added about $350 to toal cost.

Sanitary plumbing complete...

Interesting quirt of local building official...yea old metal plumbers tape strapping is out, replaced by plastic.  Feels that expansion/contraction will cause metal to abrade pipe.  Should be interesting to see how long before fastners pull through plastic strap.

MushCreek

Your place is coming along great!

Re: Plastic plumbing straps- Wouldn't it make more sense to use metal, and simply line it with plastic or rubber to protect the plastic pipe?
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

duncanshannon

you are making some awesome progress!! nice work.
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

Danfish

Another busy week...finish up plumbing...because this area deals with a lot of second home owners that forget pipes can freeze in the winter and both the town and local fire dept. are sick of dealing with broken pipe issues, local code now requires that the entire water system (hot and cold) drain to a low point.  That means all the water piping must slope back to that point.  Makes for a much more complicated water install.  Here's the central point and drain lines.

To further complicate matters, building dept. wants easy access to drain valves and that doesn't include traversing the full length of the crawl space to reach same.  They figure no self-respecting San Francisco yuppie is going to crawl under the house.  Therefore, if you look at the floor joist photo you will note the trap door blocked out in a closet floor to reach these.

Hold down bolts brought up through subfloor.  Connected to Simpson High Capacity anchor bolts, that should keep walls in place.

Sanitary drain stand up test ready for inspector and finally the big inspection prior to subfloor...passed with flying colors!!!

Insulated 100 percent of water piping...I have done my share of laying on the back trying to thaw out frozen pipes with a hair dryer...this will make the fourth house where I have insulated the under floor piping and never had to deal with the pipes again.  Of course all those extra fittings with ups and downs to comply with drain requirements made this one tough job!

Danfish

Let the dance begin, subfloor down and ready to start framing walls!

nathan.principe

this is an awesome build!  I can tell youve had some practice ;)

Danfish

Walls just about ready to go up...1st wall with sheathing on...

Second wall framed and ready for sheathing...

With most of the sheathing on these walls being shear, lots of nails...thank you to the inventor of nail guns!!

Danfish

Exterior walls up and working on garage/shop walls...

4x6 detail for shearwall edge nailing , only problem is two of these landed dead center on where I planned for fireplace ducts to penetrate wall...now some creative duct work...

Typical holddowns...walls not going anywhere!

pmichelsen

My buddy and I were just talking about the nailing paterns for sheer walls when we built his house, they really are no joke. Didn't help that my dad was the inspector and he lit us up because some of our nails weren't sunk enough.

Danfish

Trench drain just prior to last concrete pour...a 10 percent grade on the driveway could result in melting snow in the garage, so hope this does the trick!

Danfish

Garage and shop walls up...

View of job site from hill top across valley (center of photo, above town)...

suburbancowboy

It looks a lot like the old town part of park city, utah.  I use to work there.

Danfish

Yes, Truckee is reminiscent of many of those small mountain villages than sprang up around mining and other overnight booms.  In Truckee's case becoming a staging area for the Sierra crossing of the transcontinental railroad really put it on the map.  Then came the lumber industry for the Virginia City silver mines and the railroad.  Before the invention of refrigeration, ice farming was a big industry.  In the late 1990's there was talk of Truckee becoming the next Aspen...sure enough when the big resort developers got through with Colorado, they moved to Truckee.  Now the town is surrounded by gated golf communities.  Probably the saving factor has been the recent housing bust!

Danfish

The first big lift...placing beam that supports a good portion of the front of the structure...

Cranking away...

A bit of raw encouragement...

Final resting place, bolting in...

Danfish

Front porch posts go up...

nathan.principe