Metal Building Hunting Cabin?

Started by kng, July 19, 2009, 09:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kng

Has anyone ever used something like this for a hunting cabin?

http://www.carolinacarportsinc.com/

An 18x21 would be about $3K for building only. 

If it wasn't insulated, would it sweat in the winter if a wood stove was used?

Thanks for the help!
-Kyle

rwanders

:) Like a Detroit CEO in front of a Congressional Committee!
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Redoverfarm

rwanders I love your to the point explanation.  Kyle you could use spray foam to the underside of the tin to eliminate this.  Not what you get in a spray can but the profesional kind.  

river place

Could you install 1/2 foam sheeting between the frame and metal siding/roof?

FYI - I have a 30 x40 barn built by national barn nd had them install a roll type insulation barrier in the roof only and have had no problems in the Arkansas climate.  When I build more inside I'll install sheet foam on the metal walls before I frame an area in. 

Minicup28

I thought about metal buildings and looked at a few types but went with a prefab shed kit as my starter cabin:

http://www.lancasterbarns.com/acatalog/Commercial-T1-11-Cape.html

My 12 x 28 with 7' walls, 6' double end doors and single side door was ~$7K installed. I furnished the log skidder to haul the kit thru the woods to the top of the mountian. When it comes time for a new roof and painting I'll do it with standing rib metal for durability. The ease of finishing off the inside with regular carpentry and consideration for the condensation concerns mentioned were the deciding factors.
You win some
You lose some
Some you don't even get to start...

kng

Is there a reason that more people don't use these metal buildings for a cabin?  In my case where access is limited, and cost is half of stick built, I would expect to see more on this forum.  What drawbacks am I missing?

thanks,
-Kyle

rick91351

Hey if it is something you like.  And if you want to try it, get out there and do it.  We all might learn a think or two..... 

???  Half the cost of stick built.........  Really do not see that but .........  and really do not see what limited access has to do with it?  I am going to toss this out here because I sort of think it is going to go that way any from someone else sooner or later.  And it has not be beat on for a couple months, but WOW I hate then and hate to go there.  But how about a shipping container for a camp?
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

BADB0Y

I looked at metal too, and discovered I was comparing apples to oranges. The metal building cheaper than stick built was more or less a metal tent. Very flimsy and weak stucturaly. When you added the "upgrades" to get it to the same level, the price was more than stick.
Please excuse my typos, I post from my cell phone 90% of the time!

desimulacra

The answer to your question is yes unless you build it so loose and open to the outside that it would be impossible to heat.

We don't have permits ..yet.. so people here live in Portable wood storage buildings, lean toos and have made some nice houses out of metal buildings. They Will sweat unless you insulate them. Had a guy made the local gossip column because he built a really nice log house my hand, I mean nice. He used an uninsulated metal roof and it would rain inside under the right conditions.

Dunno why anyone would not insulate anyway ???

also used that bubble roll insulation in a metal shop and never had trouble. Not super tight though.
West Tennessee