Hypotheicaly question

Started by gandalfthegrey, March 06, 2008, 12:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gandalfthegrey

If I wanted to bulid a compound without permits, could I bulid 5 14X14s as long as they were not touching or connected?  Layed out in sort of a pentagon shape,facing towards the center.  I could then build a center patio that would cover that area from the elements.   Any thoughts?
Bad Wolf

ScottA

Sounds kinda cool but if you build a pentgon you run the risk of military types hanging around and running up your budget on overpriced toilet seats.

MountainDon

If your area requires permits for 200+ sq ft (at least that's where I figure the 14x14 came from) then they're also likely to have some rule about attempting to circumvent the rules by doing what you indicate. Or there'll be something about electrical, plumbing, or something that will over ride the 200 sq. ft. rule. Maybe, maybe not, and that's just my opinion.

IF you were to forge ahead and build without formal approval are you visible enough that you would be discovered? I wouldn't want to say that's what you should do. Others have though.

This opinion/advice is worth everything you paid for it.  :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

We have discussed this and yes -- it could be a good plan.

Scott, d*

Don, I always seem to forget to ask for approval.  ::)  Must be senility. hmm
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

So, my thoughts come down to this...

IF you are going to build without a permit, go ahead and build what you want. Trying to circumvent rules will be a waste of effort, IMO. Building without a permit... well that's just the first thing "they" will find wrong. Better to build what you want, making it safe, than trying to fond loopholes. Just my opinion.

Glenn, I'm on your wavelength.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

gandalfthegrey

I am looking at a future build off the grid area.  (not determined as yet)  Solar , composting toilet, not in southern California??
Bad Wolf

rakuz66

That's how prisons are built you know, like a spoked wheel with the command center in the middle.  Are you planning on taking over the world????

ScottA

QuoteAre you planning on taking over the world?

Better get in line. G.W. is up at the moment.

gandalfthegrey

I Could have gone four sides, that would have made it a square.  I thought this would have less comments.
NOT.

I have always wanted to build some kind of compound this was the easiest to design. two bedrooms, studio w / bathroom, living room, and kitchen.  And i don't mind paying for the permits. 

Just anoter thing like taxes and dying. ::)
Bad Wolf

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rakuz66

Sounds cool, I'd love to see some pics when you get going.

gandalfthegrey

This is something like it should look like.  Again i am not anywheres near starting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95335585@N00/2317032101/
Bad Wolf

rakuz66

Redoverfarm

Yep but if you really wanted to mess with the permit issue you could attach all the cabins from underground corridors that intersect in the middle. Nothing would be visible from the surface but access could be gained to all without stepping outside. d*

Deana

Posted on: March 06, 2008, 09:40:18 AMPosted by: gandalfthegrey
I am looking at a future build off the grid area.  (not determined as yet)  Solar , composting toilet, not in southern California??

Here's an article of a woman that built a cob house w/o permits in so. Calif...just north of LA county in the Figeuroa Mountain area which is surrounded by the Los Padres Nat'l Forest.  http://www.vcreporter.com/cms/story/detail/natural_renegade/5703

Now that it's in the news, wonder if Mr. Taxman/building inspector will come calling?