24' x 32' Lake Cabin in Oklahoma

Started by TexstarJim, August 12, 2009, 11:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexstarJim

Ok, have used the water level to mark all 15 posts to height.  I started with the post that I knew was just a dab shorter than the rest and used it for the standard height all the way around.  Originally I had cut the corner posts to height, but when I set the last 3 posts last Friday, I used the existing material I had and one of the post was just a little shorter than the previously set height.  To save buying another 6x6 at $20.00, I just decided the entire floor would be shorter.  All that is required is re-cutting the 4 corner posts and making sure all come out level.  They did and here is the pictures;

Setting the water bucket full of colored water on top the sawhorses, I only had to get the water level up to the top of the post it is setting next to.  The water level in the hose is the same as at the top of the 5gal bucket.  The height in the hose will remain the same anywhere I take the hose as long as I don't disturb the bucket.  It remains static.  The tip of the hose is secured to the top of the post by the black tarp strap.  The water level at the tip of the hose is level with the top of the post.  This is the shortest post and thus, the standard for the remaining 14 posts.

The next picture is of a post that is a little too tall and has to be cut.  The water level in the hose indicates where the cut will be along with the mark I made later after taking this shot.

After I am finished marking all the posts with the water level, I check it out for accuracy with my laser level.  As you can see, it matches up perfect.

Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

John Raabe

Great little photo tutorial on using the water level. [cool] This will be valuable to others for some time to come.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

TexstarJim

Thanks John, I enjoyed doing it and although I've known about this for years, this is actually the first time I have ever used this method to cut posts to height or level a project.  Fairly simple procedure and that's a good thing, it has to be simple for me to figure it out. d*

Hope it comes in handy for others viewing this thread. ;D

TexstarJim

My lumber came in today around noon.  I had planned to get the beams started but the guys at the lumber yard loaded it wrong.  They put the 2x12's at the bottom of the stack, loaded them first while gathering the load.  All the 2x8's were stacked on top.  Just the opposite of how they should have loaded it.  It took me all afternoon (had to take frequent rest breaks due to the heat) to restack the lumber and get it ready for in the morning.  sigh.........

Oh well, perhaps those guys at the lumber yard were not aware of the type of structure I'm building.  Just a slight delay, no big deal. ::)

Bobmarlon

wow I have always wondered how to accurately level separate objects without a builders level.  Great Lesson Thank you :D

ScottA

I usually allow a day just for getting and sorting materials when framing. I hope you got some help for getting  your beams set.

TexstarJim

You're sure welcome Bob and I hope it comes in handy for you and others in the future.  I enjoyed doing it.

Scott, no one around except me, nearest help lives 80 miles away and they'll be here the day I frame up the walls.  But for now, its all on me.  That's ok, I'm going to build the beams in place.  That way I don't have to lift the entire beam up on top of the posts alone.  I can handle all the individual pieces, but once they're stuck together, I couldn't lift them.

I enjoy and almost prefer working alone.  Now that I've got the concrete work out of the way and can focus on carpentry, I'm in my niche.  I can work at my own pace and take breaks as needed.  Don't have to worry about anyone screwing something up (I'm very particular) or making a mistake that isn't discovered until its too late.

The long hot days of summer are soon to be nothing more than a bad memory and I can work in the cool weather.  I prefer those days when the temp is in the mid 40's.  Now, I'm not an eskimo by any means, when it gets down to freezing or below, this old man heads inside.  But I'm at my best when the weather is nice and cool.

ScottA

Sound about like me. I rather work alone too. But I try to get help when I need it. I prefer the cool weather too. We a couple of nice mornings here the last few days. Almost started to feel like fall. Still hot in the afternoons. I never new how much drywall sanding dust you could get stuck on you when you sweat. You might not want to sand your drywall in August.  d*

TexstarJim

Quote from: ScottA on August 24, 2009, 06:24:47 PM
Sound about like me. I rather work alone too. But I try to get help when I need it. I prefer the cool weather too. We a couple of nice mornings here the last few days. Almost started to feel like fall. Still hot in the afternoons. I never new how much drywall sanding dust you could get stuck on you when you sweat. You might not want to sand your drywall in August.  d*

You know you've had a good day of work when during your shower you wash out enough dry-wall dust from the crack of your butt to cover 32sq feet.  :)

poppy

Sounds like several of us would rather work alone.  I'm heading out to the farm today with the load of windows taken from craigslist.

I hope to get a decent start on the first girder.  It will be slow, but I will enjoy most every minute.  :D

upa

Quote from: poppy on August 25, 2009, 09:41:49 AM
Sounds like several of us would rather work alone. 

I am another loner builder as well. I always feel under a certain degree of time pressure when I work with others and that usually results in errors. I like to take the time to think things through and get em done properly at my own pace, plus if I do make a mistake it's easy enough to fix I will be the only one that will ever know  ;D

TexstarJim

East beam finished today and I want to share my building technique for my beams.  I build them in place setting atop the posts and there's no heavy lifting after they're finished.

The first picture is (2) 2x12 16 footers end to end setting atop the east wall posts.  You can't see in the picture, but they're held in place by a temporary backboard on each post.  Later the backboard will be removed when the beam is permanently attached to the posts.

The 2nd picture is of me painting on a thin layer of wood glue to the plywood strips that layer inside the beams.  Each strip is cut to 10-1/2 inches and is 8 feet long.  The plywood strip staggers the joint between the two 16 feet long 2x12's.

TexstarJim

I'm  having problems with Internet Explorer shifting on me while I make a reply, making it almost impossible to put in anything over two paragraphs. 

Here is the 3rd picture while making the beams after attaching the strip of plywood to the inside of the beams.  Notice it staggers the joint where the (2) 2x12's come together.

After placing plywood strips all the length of the 2x12's, I place the second 2x12 sandwiching the plywood in the middle and clamp them together while using 3" teflon coated star-drive deck screws.  This helps keep the boards together while screwing and also, helps the wood glue to bond.  Makes a very effective seal by using the pipe wood clamps.

TexstarJim

Finally, here is the finished beam setting atop the piers.  Took around 2-3 hours to build this beam and if not for the heat, I would be building #2 beam right now.  Just too hot and humid and I retreated inside.

These beams will receive bracing and galvanized bolts before totally done.  I will wait until all 3 beams are finished before doing the bracing and placement of hardware.

Here's a picture of my most valuable tool.  Inexpensive, easy to use, and very important to each one of us.  I do not want to join the population of one-eyed carpenters and one-eyed welders.  These safety glasses are critical in keeping your eyesight.  Maybe the most valuable asset any of us have.  Please use them.

Beavers

Looking good Jim!  ;D

There have been a couple of us that have had problems posting here.  There is a thread in the general forum on "jumping posts" or something like that, seems like IE8 is the problem.  I went back to IE7 and it fixed the problem.

Edit..

Here is the thread,

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=7488.0

TexstarJim

I should try that because I'm in several forums and it does it in each one.  Even changed browers, tried firefox and google chrome.  I didn't think about switching back to ie 7, thanks for the heads-up. ;D

Daddog

Jim, I'm impressed with your building so far. I look forward to following your progress. Heck, I may even come up and give you a hand one of these days when it cools down a bit. You've done the building plans proud.
"Right relationships are more important than being right."

TexstarJim

Hey Jerry, glad to see you in here.  Not sure how much you read of this thread, but I started out saying I had altered the plans for the 1-1/2 cabin due to the 12/12 pitch roof and not wanting to climb stairs in my golden years.  The plans will still be as close to the plans ordered almost two years ago.  Gee, it has been that long ago, right?

Thanks for stopping in and if ever you get an itch to head this way, I'll have the coffee going c*

Daddog

I've read every post so far and will continue to follow your progress and learn from the comments of others too. Yeah, I've tasted your coffee! I won't be coming for that! OK, I won't be chatting on this again. I'll save the space for real builders so I can learn!
From the Heart of Texas Hill Country...Adios.
"Right relationships are more important than being right."

TexstarJim

All the beams are now built and in place.  Finished the last long 32' beam that runs through the middle yesterday.  This morning, I capped the South and North ends with double 2x12's.  I will start my bracing tomorrow and have that done before I begin building the floor frame from 2x8s'.

The picture above is looking South at the North end which is 24 feet wide.  Middle beam splits it equally and the span for the 2x8 floor joists will be 12' on the East-West axis.  The joists will be 16"oc.

The picture below was taken from the West side looking at the 32' long wall, the front of the house.  This is where I will build my porch/deck starting next week.  From then on, when my materials are delivered, they can set it up on the deck with the forklift and it will be close at hand.

Another picture looking South;

poppy

Looking good there Jim.  :)

I believe it is a smart move that you are putting in bracing right away. 8)

I'm still working on the first girder.  d*

ScottA

I second the bracing. Do it now before you get more weight on the foundation. Looks like a good start.  :)

TexstarJim

Today I got the bracing done.  This will take all the lateral movement away and decrease the "bounce" in the beams.

I used 4"x4" treated cut on a 45 for all the bracing.

ScottA

Good work indeed! I'm watching every step of the way.  :)

Now would be the time to get your plumbing stubed in.

TexstarJim

Thanks Scott, I appreciate your encouragement.  Also, while I had the backhoe here last month finishing up the install on the aerobic sewer system, I had him trench my sewer line in and its ready to go.  Tied a rope to the end stubbed up on the pad (its right about where the two yellow saw-horses are setting) so I wouldn't lose it and will be able to simply tie into it when the plumbing is ready.

Once again, I always appreciate your input. :)

Wasn't today a great day to be working!  Low humidity and the temp never got over 80 here by the lake.  Woke up to 59 degrees, thought I was in heaven ;D