Homesteads and Miners shacks

Started by Wolfer, November 19, 2008, 11:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfer

Hello everyone,
I been Lurking for a shortwhile On this board and Have made a few Posts. One Of which I Highjacked a thread d* for that I am Srry.
Im a 39yr old Heavy equipment Operator Who has Tramped all Over the west chasing Jobs and Draggin the family With Me.
During the tramp Years we spent a Large Part off chasing thru the woods and  Deserts seeing what we could See. Besides the scenery Old Homesteads and Cabins Have grabbed My attention and The Biggest thing I have Noticed is they are all SMALL and every one of them Has the different characteristics and A little bit Of something salvaged from something else.

Take Note Of this Particular cabin. The SIding Is SPlit  square 5 gallon Metal cans.  Look at the Handrail coming out the front door its part of a headboard from an old bed. Believe it or Not this cabin also still has running water the water was piped in from the spring a couple hundred feet above the cabins and from the main cabin was piped to the rest. the main cabin has a small creek running out the front door.

These cabins are all one room at an old Mining camp in the middle of Know where as a Kid I remeber them In alot better shape including a back porch with a Rockwalled Porch made of petrified wood from the area, the scavengers have really done a number on them over the years.

This old cabin is a hybrid half rockwall and the top half is wood.
Kyle

MountainDon

[cool] stuff wolfer.

I love finding old camps and ranch buildings. Many of them are badly deteriorated by now.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Whitlock

Cool we have been to some of the same old cabins. I will have to dig out some of my old pictures.
I'm going to put them in the off topics thread under Mines,Gold panning and historical exploring that Mountain Don started.
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Redoverfarm

Wolfer neat pics.  I have the same fascination for old barns and sheds. 

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the pix, Wolfer.  We commonly hijack threads here but start a new one when there is enough to warrant it.  No problem.  We don't whine much here.

It is interesting and educational to see how things were built in the old days.  We will soon see that many more will be building from tin cans, plastic cartons and refrigerator boxes as our leaders take us back to being a 3rd world country.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

If this economy keeps heading down, these pics may become the "Make It Work 101" class for the newly homeless.  :( 

speedfunk

cool..thanks for sharing.....  I also love to stumle on little shacks and cabins...  [cool]

Wolfer

I have many more pics ill add. At one time I was doin a website on Nevada backroads and Posting a bunch of such Pics with locations and such. a week later I stumbled on a site that some guys were talking of how to get an old Pony steam engine Out and they Posted a Pic, the SAME pic I had posted. so I called my brothers we loaded our crawlers and we headed Into the backcountry and  3 of us with Winches and chain hoists and 2 handtmen Jacks Manhandled it to the back om my toyota Complete with boiler and delivered it to the museum In Hawthorne. Couple of fellas sure were Poed when they went back and found it gone ???, but My pics and Locations were the direct result of them trien to gain monetary gain. so I am in the process of reworking a bunch of pics  so i can show what i have seen with out given the location d* d*...... I hope that makes since.
Kyle

glenn kangiser

I know a jerk over here who does things like that - listens or questions others then steals stuff right from under their noses.  He recently sold a lot of it.  I considered them ill gotten goods.  No need to explain yourself to me.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Wolfer

GLen u may have flown ovewr this one

and quite possibly this one also.....im doin some background checking on this one it is badly deteriorating and I would love to restore it on some property im dealing on. it would make a great trappers cabin and Just get away from the wife type area

this place is also one of those Local weekend get away places specially durring hunting season

srry for the distance photos i Just recently started getting into how these old places were put together and some of them are quite far from me and i havent been back to get CLoseup style pics
Kyle

glenn kangiser

Always cool to see the old buildings.  I flew over a lot of territory in the west.

Here is one Whitlock and I went by today to look at.  An old log barn with the top added at a later date.

Redoverfarm

glenn kangiser

Whitlock used to live near it and he was showing me around there.  We went to my buddies place near there to do a bit of logging and look at his reloading equipment as well as get a few tips on it's use.

The buddy I gave the Dodge Cummins to -- he gave me a load of logs and pointed out a few more for later. :)