Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Crimoney, PEG.  By the end of the week that one shirt ought to be smelling pretty bad..... rofl

Even as tight as my boss is.... I got about 4 dozen pocket tees...... Oh yeah.... nearly forgot there... I work for myself.... [waiting]

Hope that didn't put a crunch on their budget, eh, PEG?   :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Gary O

Glenn, it's things like the Ducteepoc that just bring the day forward.
Gotta add this to the ever growing list of applications.....
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

glenn kangiser

Remember, you heard it here first on the Underground Cabin Update, Gary....... [idea]

We may be underground but we're not out of touch.......

I can see this thing going all kinds of places... Handier than pockets in your underwear.... [waiting]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Gary O

Thanks fer plasterin' an eternal smile on this mug today, Glenn.
Today; the pocket       tomorrow; posterior cleavage spackle....or the world...whichever comes first

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 31, 2011, 07:05:25 AM

Even as tight as my boss is.... I got about 4 dozen pocket tees...... Oh yeah.... nearly forgot there... I work for myself.... [waiting]

Hope that didn't put a crunch on their budget, eh, PEG?   :)

Your boss prolly sleeps with your wife as well!

He didn't miss his annual trip to Hawaii, so I guess the budget was OK:-)) 
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

PEG688

Quote from: Gary O on August 31, 2011, 07:59:04 AM

Today; the pocket       tomorrow; posterior cleavage spackle....or the world...whichever comes first

Glenn, you might suggest that to Fred see suspenders where ruled out c*

Redoverfarm

I am with you Glenn on the pockets.  A T-shirt without a pocket is only good when it gets colder to wear under another shirt that does have a pocket.  Not so much intrested in a place to put my pencil (over the ear and under the hat edge) but glasses are a necessity anymore and it usually, I say usually stays in the pocket.  Dollar store has-em for about $2 so I always have spares.

glenn kangiser

You got it, John..... Gotta have pockets.....  :)

PEG... my memory.... [noidea'

Fred...

Fred... I don't remember what you are talking about.... Oh yeah...

It's coming back to me now...... [idea]

My old sidekick, Fred....

This one.....

Yeah... now I remember

I think you are right about the Boss, PEG.... I don't think it is Sancho....... hmm

ben2go

You guys crack me up.   [rofl2]

My youngest son,8 years old,comes running up to me the other day.He's yelling daddy!daddy!daddy!I turn around and ask him," What in the world is wrong with you?"He ask me if my but hurt.I said," No.Why?"He grins and says,"You gotta crack in it." I almost died laughing.He did too.   rofl

Gary O

OHHHHHH, for a minute there I thought Fred had found a way to hold his caulking gun.......

glenn kangiser

That was the security camera at Costco, Gary.  We put a new roof in over the new cardboard compactor area so the camera was now at butt level rather than 16 feet above the ground... heh

Fred thought it might be a thrill for the person watching the cameras if he kept working welding down the new roof deck while backing into the camera... never knowing his trousers had slid down a bit... wink...wink.... [waiting]

I wonder where these kids learn that kind of stuff, Ben?  [noidea'

glenn kangiser

Last day of work on the project from Hell.

We are all going to Mutiny and go home for the three day weekend so I will be reporting from the Underground Command Center soon.... [waiting]

Sassy says my cows miss me..... :(

Yo regresso  aqui Martes... dang it ... there I go in Spanish again... I meant I will return here next Tuesday, but things are looking better and the major work is nearing completion.

Fortunately my room here has one of those big commercial style water closets, and I have not embarrassed myself once during my stay here..... heh

Yea.... gottogo

glenn kangiser

Meanwhile back at the ranch....

Sassy has kept things in pretty decent shape here considering she didn't have a man around to do all of the heavy stuff... I mean ... we are indispensable.....  ::)

I picked up a 250 lb molasses supplement for the cows and have to get it unloaded from the truck as well as a bounty of scrap steel that may someday be something important at the underground complex.  I sent the useful stuff in long lengths back to the company yard a couple days ago and the rest of misc. scraps would never leave there so they don't care to get them back.  If we can use them that is fine and saves them the cost of transporting them back as well as cleanup.  Typical jobsite stuff...thousands of dollars goes into the dumpster, especially on tight city jobsites like this one.

Here is a useful item for home builders.... Sand set pavers or cobblestones are a good alternate to pouring concrete walks or driveways. [idea]

Every bit as durable as concrete and have the option of being able to be removed and replaced with a bit of work.  If there is any interest in this feel free to ask for particulars.  I was taught how to do it by a friend from Guam when I was about 10 years old.  Bricks will work also and we have had them at our other place for around 30 years with no problem.

Here on the mountain at the Underground Command Center the Cactus have their first decent crop of cactus apples.  Now I need to do something with them... [ouch]

Wonder how the cows are doing.... guess I should get out of the chair and check to see if they made it up here this morning....

Maybe I should get dressed too so I don't scare the new neighbors..... [scared]

Windpower

Glenn

I would be very interested in the sand/brick paver methods

I have seen it done in bits and pieces at Abbott but never observed the compete precess start to finish

I think we will use it at the farm to make patios around the back yard eventually

I hope you have a very restful weekend -- you deserve it

My grandson will be visiting til next friday -- fun but not restful  ;D
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

glenn kangiser

Glad to find it is of use to someone, Windpower.  :)

Restful weekend... yes.. but I see things to do here... [waiting]

The pavers are generally used with a border of some sort that is appropriately set for the width combination of the pavers you are using.  It could be railroad ties, concrete curbs as above or pressure treated lumber, or maybe even a row of pavers along the edge with no backing though the edge may move a bit on you.  They are set into the ground the desired depth - generally their thickness over a screeded bed of sand.  These guys set a string at the edge to keep the pavers straight by as the curb was not exactly straight.

The layer of sand is pretty well compacted as is and makes the walkway come out smooth.on top.  The pavers are set in the desired pattern and tamped with a board and mallet to keep all of the tops level.  Sides are generally set tight together.  In the case of cobblestones, use a board and mallet or hammer to level the tops of the rocks - making the bottoms sink in the sand bed.  In Alamos, Sonora, Mx,and other places, entire roads are made this way.

Spaces at the sides may be filled with cut pavers of similar style and may be done after the main body of the pavers is completed if you like.

Shown here is an optional step of running a vibratory plate compactor.  Not really necessary for a home project. After it is done, a layer of sand is swept over the entire surface to fall into the spaces and lock everything tight together.  Cleaning can later be done in any way you would do a concrete walkway, with a broom, hose, blower etc.  

Quick and easy - it is done.  It took the guys about 4 hours to do the walk shown in the picture.... but - 4 hours or 4 days for us... it doesn't really matter if we are happy with the end result.

Sassy

Good to have him home  :)  He was already running around on his Bobcat when I got up this morning  c*  When he came in I made him breakfast & now we sit next to each other in our recliners w/our laptops on our laps  d*

The red brick pavers used for walkways & patio areas at our place in the valley look really nice & are no trouble at all.  Sometimes grass or weeds will grow up between them - I usually just pull them, some people would use Roundup (don't really like that stuff).  Once in awhile the tree roots will lift one or 2 up out of place - we have lots of trees there.  You can sweep, blow them & hose them off.  But after 30 yrs, they still look great, much nicer than cement.

Some are set in herring bone pattern, one big patio area is set in a circular fashion - most of the walkways are just parallel. 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

ben2go

What can you do with those cacti apples?These have peak my curiosity.Please don't kill the cat.  d*

Sassy

They are sweet from what I've heard & you can eat  them raw - of course after you get rid of the thorns or you can make jams/jellies out of them.  Guess Glenn is gonna pick some for me & let me make some.  There's probably other things you can make w/it.

glenn kangiser

I do want to make some cactus jelly with them, Ben.  Wonder if I should throw a hot pepper in the mix too?  [noidea'

Lets see if I can get it done before they fall on the ground and rot now..... [ouch]

Sassy

Correction, he wants ME to make some cactus jelly.  I have no problem w/that but won't be climbing on the side of that hill standing between cactus - sure enough, I'd be lying on top of them  d*  Besides, Glenn said you have to take a pliers to get them off, the thorns will go right through leather gloves.  I've gotten enough cactus & other thorns in me w/out trying.  Then you have to burn off the thorns.

So, I'll let him harvest them & remove the thorns & then I'll gladly make the cactus jelly  ;D

glenn kangiser

Hmm hmm

If only I'd understood it was that easy..... [noidea'

Guess I'll have to get them off of there now....... [ouch]

Why am I up at this hour?    The job has given me PTSD... that's why.... [waiting]

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on September 04, 2011, 03:50:05 AM

Why am I up at this hour?    The job has given me PTSD... that's why.... [waiting]

You'll need to file a claim with state industrial eh c*

And really you post some of the most late night and ultra early posts here, so it's not uncommon for you to be up at all hours anyway.

I know when I wake up in the middle of the night to write a note down about "what to do tomorrow"  it's not uncommon for you to be logged in here.

Some how I find that comforting  d*

glenn kangiser

Quote from: PEG688 on September 04, 2011, 10:36:59 AM
You'll need to file a claim with state industrial eh c*

And really you post some of the most late night and ultra early posts here, so it's not uncommon for you to be up at all hours anyway.

I know when I wake up in the middle of the night to write a note down about "what to do tomorrow"  it's not uncommon for you to be logged in here.

Some how I find that comforting  d*

Self Employed, PEG so I can't even get Workers Comp.... I think it can be had as an elective but that would be crazy as good insurance costs less.... yet I am thinking they would only diagnose me as crazy... and the Hotel California is now mostly closed down......  It would be streets for me and who would support me? [noidea'

Hotel California

Oh yeah.. Maybe I could live off of my good looks.... :)

Yup ... I'm crazy and I guess the rest of the wold will just have to learn to deal with it.....since it all revolves around me anyway......... [waiting]

Comforting to know your work wakes you up in the night too, PEG... that makes two of us, eh?  [ouch]

The cows saved me the trouble of going down to the bottom this morning.  They heard me and mooed so I mooed back and they came up to the corral for treats.  [hungry]

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on September 04, 2011, 12:13:31 PM

Self Employed, PEG so I can't even get Workers Comp.... I think it can be had as an elective but that would be crazy as good insurance costs less.... yet

The cows saved me the trouble of going down to the bottom this morning.  They heard me and mooed so I mooed back and they came up to the corral for treats.  [hungry]

I know, I should have added a smiley of some sort to my "joke" about collecting L&I.  [frus] [frus] [frus] [frus]

Those cows wubb you, and yet you conspire to eat them  ;)

glenn kangiser

I took it as a joke, Peg.... Just yankin' yer chain... :)