Al and Robins 20x30 1 1/2 near Lake Eufaula, OK

Started by ajbremer, May 09, 2011, 04:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_P

The 4x4 does work fine, basically its the same as cutting a corner out of a log and using that.

ajbremer

Tuesday Morning - March 12th, 2013

Started to do the log-siding today:
(Pic coming soon)
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

ajbremer

Tuesday - April 8th, 2013

I'm sorry that I haven't posted anything about my build for so long and that they have slowed down. I replaced a motor in my Festiva and it worked out ok but it took me almost 2 months! I was only able to work on it a little every day.

People at work told me that if I move into my build before the inside is totally finished then I'll hardly never get it done. Now I see what they mean. Since I'm in my place and enjoying it, I kind of get relaxed, take the weekends off, and do other stuff. What happens because of that is a small paycheck. What happens because of a small pay check is no going to Lowes...nothing gets done.

I have started my log-siding on the gable end of the house though...just one piece so far. Now that my Festiva is basically running again I need to really get out there and get things done. I'm basically living in an OSB box but ya know what, we kept warm all winter. I really had to get the right kind of wood in our Ashley wood stove and we had the fans in just the right places. We also bought a couple of those Walmart heaters and we were able to be comfortable...most of the time.

Again, sorry for all of my delays in my posts. We consider ourselves to be so blessed that we have a place of our own and that it's paid for. It may not be totally done yet but it's our 'Country Plan' home!

CjAl

I know how it goes. Unemployment has me just about at a stand still. Fortunatly i accepted a job at lowes so at least i get a discount ;D

Just remember that osb wont last forever uncovered. I am already begining to loose my sub floor because of no roof over it.

UK4X4

Looking good Al,

no harm in taking a break and enjoying your creation a bit

But summer will be shortly here and prime building time is now !

ajbremer

Thursday Morning - April 18th, 2013 Oklahoma

Starting into putting up my log siding. I went around the windows with 1x cedar. I guess I'll have to double-up the 1x cedar boards so that they'll protrude beyond the thickness of the 2x8 log siding. What are the best nails to use for those cedar boards?

MountainDon

Stainless Steel ring shank are best, followed by aluminum ring shank with galv steel being next (hot dip is better than electroplate) Aluminum may be too soft for nailing into some wood
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

suburbancowboy

When I put mine up I used galvanized screws.

sorry i screwed up here , very sorry   d*  MD

suburbancowboy

Also it is funny that you mention the cedar window trim.  That is what I am using to trim the windows on the inside.  I should have some pictures this weekend after I am finished.

MountainDon

I've had the bright zinc plated screws corrode from the acids or whatever in the cedar over time and then leaves ugly streaks. I've never tried looking for hot dipped galv screws. Something to think about. The S/S I have used remain clear and unmarked even when the wood is unfinished as in a fence board left natural. Proper nails will also have a blunt point so it tears or cuts through the wood fibers, rather than a wedge point that can cause splits more readily. There are also screws with special points that cut fibers instead of wedginng there way through the wood.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

I noticed the other day that my local Lowe's was carrying 5/4 cedar boards in various width, S3S = three sides smooth and one rough sawn.  5/4 = true 1 inch thickness.

ajbremer

Great information ya'll. I'll look for those screws Don.

It feels good to once again start working on the house, the smell of wood being sawn, etc.

astidham

Looking Good Al!
Cant wait to see the finished product.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

UK4X4

as your logs are 2" thick- can you not pry off the existing cedar- screw the new thicker section to it from the rear

Then angle screw it from the sides - ie hidden fixings from where the thickest part of the log is

CjAl

I wouldnt use cedar to shim it out further i would put pine behind the 1x cedar trim

Redoverfarm

Quote from: CjAl on April 19, 2013, 06:45:34 PM
I wouldnt use cedar to shim it out further i would put pine behind the 1x cedar trim

Al if by chance you do decide to use white wood then you should stain it and put a preservative on it.  Unfinsihed wood outside has a short life. ;D

CjAl

ajbremer

Got just a little further today:

CjAl

Alan Gage

Lookin' good Al. Such a good feeling to get the siding done.

Don't forget the house wrap on the gables.

Alan

ajbremer

Saturday Morning - April 27th, 2013 @ 8:14am

Just thought I'd share some log siding pictures. I've gotten a little further (again). Little by little every day.

Now I'll have to build me a type of shelf to stand upon so that I can safely carry, hold, and attach those 16 foot long siding pieces way up there at the gable end. I realize that the horizontal log siding pieces will get shorter as I reach the peek but I'm just trying to do all I can to be safe. Remember I built a similar shelf system so I could safely do my shingles on my 12:12 pitch and it worked out great.

Here's a picture of how I did my shelf/scaffold for my roof. The design for siding my gable will be similar but different:

Here's pics of my log siding so far (on my east gable end):

TheWire

Al,  When doing wide window trim on a log home, I cut a bevel on the very top of the trim and at the sill so there is not a flat surface for water to sit on.

ajbremer

Monday Afternoon - April 29th, 2013

A little more log siding done today. Things are getting up pretty high now. The greenish discoloration in the picture can't be seen in real life. It must be some kind of reflection.

ajbremer

Getting up in the air now...

suburbancowboy

Yup, brings back memories.  Wait till you get to that area above the upstairs windows.  That is where I started to get nervous.