Al and Robins 20x30 1 1/2 near Lake Eufaula, OK

Started by ajbremer, May 09, 2011, 04:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Shingles look nice; nothing wrong with them, IMO.  Sometimes you can get a discount on insurance with metal though. And some locations may make more sense for metal. (our forest, for example).
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

My choice is metal.  However almost all contractors I know and roofers call for shingles.  Especially roofs where there are valleys.  I do know that most people around here that use metal are not as impressed as they thought they would be.  I guess I still have a metal mental block...... 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

pmichelsen

I agree, nothing wrong with shingles at all and that is what I will be using on my build.

UK4X4

My contractor is recomending shingles too.........after spending months shingling after hurricane Andrew in dade county - back in my back packing days- I'd rather not use them.

But then I also have a 90# snow load to consider and I like the slidey offy of steel.

But they are waterproof and so function as desired- I'd do down from the top though so that you don't have to walk on them
the coating can rub off and leave just tar paper.

Can't see the nailing are you using those tack like nails with the large heads ? or maybe thats old fashioned now ! as it was a while ago that i was roof monkey !

MountainDon

Quote from: UK4X4 on September 11, 2012, 05:27:16 PM
.....- I'd do down from the top though so that you don't have to walk on them
the coating can rub off and leave just tar paper......

How do you make that work?  ???  I've always seen shingles done from the bottom strip up and seen them last fine for 20+ years even here in the sunny SW and that wasn't even with the best grade of shingles.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ajbremer

Tuesday - September 11th, 2012 MidOklahoma

Built my roof ladder and ladder stop assembly today (at least that's what I call it).

I used 2x4 rails and 2x6's for the wrungs. I attached 21" long 2x4's to my rafter tails
and then cut osb and screwed it into the 2x4's. Then I laid a long 2x8 on top of them
and then screwed it into the edge of the little osb pieces. That creates the ladder stop.

The ladder moves pretty easily across the roof and doesn't tear up the felt...if I'm careful.

Now I can easily climb all the way up to the peek and also work from the sides.

Here's pics:

(3 more pics coming soon)

Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

UK4X4

"How do you make that work?"

good question ! I mostly did flashing-hurricane ties and roof repairs-and straightening shingles after the fact - so i was always lifting and nailing underneath the upper ones 

- see I'm older than i think ! must be senility comming on early a bit like my inherited arthritis too- sent home from the field today with a pumpkin knee

ajbremer

Wednesday - September 12th, 2012 MidOklahoma

I'm getting there:

mogie01

aj, it's really starting to look like a house now, nice work!!  I remember how nice it was to get the roof done and it looks like you will get it done in no time.  I like the shingles :)

new land owner

It seems most people use tin on their camps.  I like the use of shingles and that is what I used on my camp. Your project is looking good.

ajbremer

Thursday - September 13th, 2012 MidOklahoma

Did a little more shingling, till I ran out of bundles. Time to buy some more.

ajbremer

Sunday Morning - September 16th, 2012

The 1st picture below was taken almost one year ago today. Remember, this is strictly a one
person build. Built debt free - no loans, payday to payday.

One year later, today (see picture below). I've used about 2 squares of Tamko Heritage antique slate
shingles (6 bundles) so far on the 1st side and a couple of bundles of antique slate 3 tab shingles for
the edging.

Notice my new little ladder next to the big 'special shingling ladder' that I built on the roof. It's a
nice 6' wooden ladder I bought at a yard sale yesterday for $15.00. It works great for shingling
on the roof using that ladder-stop board.

ajbremer

Sunday - September 16th, 2012 MidOklahoma

Here's a picture of the front porch/deck I built last weekend. We put lattice on the front and
it gives it a private look. I also put on the front door this weekend. Bought the all wooden door
for $15.00 from a neighbor. It needs touch up and one pane is cracked but it'll look real good by
the time we are done with it.

waterbug

Looks good Al - you have accomplished a lot in the last year, especially considering that you have been paying as you go.

ajbremer

Monday - September 17th, 2012 MidOklahoma

Thanks for the comment waterbug.

Today I was able to get 2 bundles of shingles up there, that's it. I think I'm getting more than
half way with this first side.

astidham

Quote from: ajbremer on September 17, 2012, 06:07:37 PM
Monday - September 17th, 2012 MidOklahoma

Thanks for the comment waterbug.

Today I was able to get 2 bundles of shingles up there, that's it. I think I'm getting more than
half way with this first side.

Looking Good!!!
by the time you finish, when you dont need it, you will be 20 times faster than you are now...lol
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

ajbremer

ajbremer

Sunday - September 23rd, 2012

Put 3 bundles of shingles on the North side today. Only a few more to go and then onto the other side.

new land owner

Al

Have you thought of roof penitrations?  Plumbing vent, Wood stove?

ajbremer

Thanks for the comment New Land Owner.

Yes, I'll at least be going through the roof with a wood stove, that's for sure. As far as the toilet/sink
vent - not sure about that. I've heard of some people going up the wall with it and then out the eave,
that sounds good to me if I can find a way to do it.

Today I put in my first big window. I'll have a picture of it tomorrow.

new land owner

The only reason I asked is that I just finished my roof and installed both the plumbing vent and the chimney for the wood stove.  My thought was that it was easier to do when I was in the middle of shingling.  I have both completed and hope not to be on the roof for a long time.

MountainDon

I was writing this as nlo was posting...   

The question about the penetration may have been asked because it is easier to do the flashings before all the shingling is done. The typical metal boot flashing has the lower edge over the shingles and the upper edge covered by shingles. Layers so all the water is directed to the surface. Not impossible to do later but more difficult.  As for penetrations for the plumbing vents there are hundreds of thousands of roofs, if not millions, done that way and when done properly they don't leak and the plumbing vents wonderfully.

ajbremer

Wednesday - September 26th, 2012

A couple days ago I put my first window ever in. It's just sticking in there now with some shims and
I also put some 1x6 cedar on the outside. It's definitely not a great job but a hole is covered up and
no rain can get in their. It'll look better when I trim it up.

And here's how far I'm on my shingles on the North side. I probably will only need 2 more bundles
and then I'll tear down all of my platform and put it up on the other side so I can start shingling there.

ajbremer

Thursday - September 27th, 2012

Added a couple more small windows to the front side. I like the looks of the cedar 1x6's that
I used. It's going to be really cool to see what the log siding will look like around these
windows.

MountainDon

What thickness is the "log" siding? Will the cedar boards / window trim be thicker than the siding?