Dogtrot at Hightop

Started by Redoverfarm, November 25, 2007, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChuckinVa

Looks Great John. Did you use 5/4 deck boards or are those 2 X 6?
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Redoverfarm

Thanks Mt.Don and Chuck.  The decking is 5/4 mostly because of the cost.  With the price of PT lumber I probably have more in it now than most have in framing a small cottage with white wood.  I have been looking for a bench design (plans) to incorporate in the 60" space on each side of the fireplace. 

But I have some other projects closer to home that i have to focus on for the next week or so. Building 500 ft of farm fence and cutting wood.  I have to hustle in the next month or my helper will be back in school  :(

OlJarhead

Very nice work!

I wish I had the funds, time and experience/knowledge to do that kind of brick work!  Let alone the great deck and rail work! 

I'm planning a much simpler deck that will use the same post and pier foundation as the cabin...figure 'keep it simple stupid' applies well for me :P

But this is a some inspiring work!
Thanks

Redoverfarm

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 01, 2010, 03:37:02 PM
Very nice work!

I wish I had the funds, time and experience/knowledge to do that kind of brick work!  Let alone the great deck and rail work!  

I'm planning a much simpler deck that will use the same post and pier foundation as the cabin...figure 'keep it simple stupid' applies well for me :P

Thanks

The funds are the biggest obsticle.  As for the rock work it was learned out of neccessity rather than paying a mason some $30 hour.  Really not that hard once you get started.  As for the deck it is no more complicated than a cabin floor and most of the same principles apply with the exception of the deck flooring.  I went with 6X6 for the railings as I didn't want weak railings that someone might get hurt on.  The actualy railings are 2X6 with the standard pickets.  My biggest challange was the varing widths of the two sides to figure the angles to the fireplace but I managed to get it fairly close.  Thanks OLJarhead for the compliment. If you ever want to venture into the rock work let me know I am sure you can do it and I would be more than glad to walk you through it.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Redoverfarm on August 01, 2010, 04:00:50 PM
Quote from: OlJarhead on August 01, 2010, 03:37:02 PM
Very nice work!

I wish I had the funds, time and experience/knowledge to do that kind of brick work!  Let alone the great deck and rail work!  

Thanks

The funds are the biggest obsticle.  As for the rock work it was learned out of neccessity rather than paying a mason some $30 hour.  Really not that hard once you get started.  As for the deck it is no more complicated than a cabin floor and most of the same principles apply with the exception of the deck flooring.  I went with 6X6 for the railings as I didn't want weak railings that someone might get hurt on.  The actualy railings are 2X6 with the standard pickets.  My biggest challange was the varing widths of the two sides to figure the angles to the fireplace but I managed to get it fairly close.  Thanks OLJarhead for the compliment. If you ever want to venture into the rock work let me know I am sure you can do it and I would be more than glad to walk you through it.

I might take you up on that ;)  We have TONS of rock and have thought about making a rock wall someday...might be a good start.

I actually wanted to build a rock hearth for the wood stove out of rocks from our property but decided to take the easy way out and use some old red brick we had laying about -- figure it's flat and should be an easy way to learn -- I hope!

Alasdair

Looks good as always! I've really enjoyed catching up on this project - lovely stuff. The deck and stone work look awesome.
Love yer Mom's quilt too!
:)Al

Redoverfarm

Al thanks for the kind words.  As the saying goes 'I can see light at the end of the tunnel".  Love Nova Scotia. Made about 3 trips over the years to include Cape Breton.  If I see one in the future I will definitely look you up.

Redoverfarm

Not much going on at Dogtrot the last week or so.  Been helping my sister get into her new/remodeled home which is about 1-1/2 hr drive one way.  Life is not always a straight road and occassionally you come upon curves or intersections.  Since my sister moved away to her husbands new job there is no one living close to our parents. My parents, Dad of 85 years who is failing fast with kidney failure  and my mom of 76 years there current house + 22 acres is too much to take care of.  With my Dads failing health she is left to carry wood, fire the stove, do all the yard work, pick apples and maintain their home.  So she wanted to be near me and my sister and return to the county of her birth which also happens to be where she met my father some 64 years ago who also started his career here as a game warden in 1946. Sort of ironic in a way as this is the location that I retired at after 25 years.  He retired after giving 42 years of his life to the state.  Well anyway they closed on a one level 2600 sq ft all brick home in town (12 miles from me) today.  So to make a long story short the previous owner has 30 days to vacate the premises and then the works begins.  Any work needed at Dogtrot will have to be done before that time expires as I will have to somewhat remodel the new house.

Originally built in 1967 the house has all the original appliances (avacodo green), worn out carpet, a sunken living room which I plan to restructure and bring it up to the floor level of the rest of the house. Remodel the kitchen and cabinets, hardwood & carpet various floors, paint and rebuilt some of the soffit and rake board behind the gutters and get rid of the jungle of shrubs in the front.  Basicly right now I want to concentrate on getting them moved in before bad weather.  Some of the outside work will just have to wait until spring.  Is it possible to move a country family into a city setting.  Shoot right now she has a 12X15 root cellar stuffed with can goods alone.  Wish me luck.

Here is a couple pictures of their new home

ChuckinVa

Looks like a solid house. I like the low maintenance brick. Hey those avocado appliances bring big $ as "vintage appliances" :-)
ChuckinVa

Redoverfarm

Last few days was spent on the entry gate post.  I had poured the footers when I had poured the deck footers several weeks ago.  I was waiting for my cousin to weld an extension to the gate bolts to extend them to 20" rather than the basic 12".  Thursday got the post laided up with standard 8" cement blocks doubled and turned 90 degree every other course.  The finished post will be approximately 5' in heigth. Being that the gates will require "fine tuning" after hung I improvised and used 1" PVC as a sleeve.  If I hadn't the filled concrete would not have allowed the bolts to be free so I could make that adjustment.

Yesterday I mixed and poured the cavities with concrete and inserted 1/2" rebar.  I had already pinned the footer with 1/2" rebar before the blocks were laid.

Today I parged all four sides and after a few days of cure time and then I will form the cap and pour it .  I can then lay the stone.  But I have to make a trip to the factory to pick it up which is about 1-1/2 hours away.  I will also get enough to cover the outside fireplace and deck piers. Oh yes I need another ton of sand.  Seems that I go through that stuff pretty fast.  But I guess I have poured and laid a lot of concrete and stone so you could say it is a necessary evil.  ;)  In the mean time I plan on making the deck beches.

Had a slight engineering problem last week.  When I put the metal roof on the cabin and flashed the chimney one of the boys helping me made the flashing a little wider than I would have liked.  So I laid the stone bridging from the block over on top of the flashing.  I guess that the roof metal had expanded and contracted enough to loosen the stone and a couple of stones came tumbling down.   :(  Not a real problem but a PIA to have to work off of a ladder and repair.  I am thinking a piece of lathe wire attached with sheet metal screws should suffice and then lay it again.  It lasted two years before it loosened.

Redoverfarm

Here is a picture of the gate post I referred to yesterday.  I didn't have the camera.  The parge coat had cured enough that today I formed the post caps and poured them. Took a little longer because I hand mixed the concrete rather than using the mixer.  Just a pain to clean up.  The mortar pan is so much easier to clean.

And yes it looks awful tall.  There is about 10" fall from one side of the driveway to the other ( 24' span)which I hadn't noticed.  But now that both post are in and level it is really noticable.  I have drove in an out of that gate for the last 4-1/2 years and never paid attention.  I will just have to build it up to make it look better.

glenn kangiser

Looks like you are going to have plenty to keep you busy for a while, John. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Glenn I had plenty before.  ;).  Well today I finished the deck benches temporarly as I have to lay stone on the fireplace.  I just used a couple screws in all the back support so that I could remove them to give me clearence with the stone.  I also removed the forms from the gate post and dressed them down.  Long weekend so it looks as if my day trip for the stone is off until Tuesday because of the holiday. 

ScottA

That looks nice John.  :) also thats a serious gate post you built.  8)

Redoverfarm

Just to let you know that I haven't "fell asleep at the wheel".  On Tuesday I picked up the slate tile and stone for the outside fireplace.  Spent the last three days from 7AM to 6PM laying it up.  I still have another 1/2 to 3/4 days work to finish where I couldn't reach from the ground and will have to erect a section of scaffolding.  Then I have to grout it all.  I completely wore out one grout bag since I started so that is on the list the next trip to town.  Enjoy the pics.

ScottA

MountainDon

Wow!  John, that is very nice!!

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

I better not let my wife see this!  d* [cool]

Actually I'm going to show her -- it is awesome!

Damn, now I'll have to learn to do this... :D :D :)

Redoverfarm

OJ when ever you are ready for your "crash" course let me know.  I finished the stone work on the fireplace. Only remaining is to grout the tile at the hearth.  In the meantime I moved to the gate post. It was hump day in the rain mind you.  But I got both of them stoned and will see how they are set tomarrow to grout.  Thats after I haul the cows to the livestock yard first thing inthe AM .  It should be a grand entrance.  I mean the gate post not the cows ;D

ChuckinVa

Looks great John. I like the keyway in the first course.
Wish we had some of that rain. Had a little in Harrisonburg today but by the time I got back to the house all we had were a few clouds and no precipitation.
ChuckinVa

altaoaks

john, wow.  now that is a really great deck and outdoor fireplace!  it is just beautiful!  we are waiting to see the gate posts.  how much stone work have you done previously?

Redoverfarm

Chuck thanks for the comment.  When I picked up another order of stone the owner asked me where I got the "keyway".  I told him I made it from a flat stone in the order.  Apparently they did not make any keyways to match their product.  I had seen some of the work they had done on several fireplaces without the keyway.  Just doesn't look right in an opening without one.   

As for the rain.  Just enough to get you wet while working but not enough to be benifical.  I talked to a farmer not far from me and he said something like .007 of inch.

Altaoaks  I think with this order it puts it up around 1200-1300 sq ft.  Lost track actually.  Doesn't seem like that much then as it was a little at a time.  In answering your question about 12-15 years.  Still have a little to do with the block deck support collums but I will wait and do them last with scrap left over if need be. 

Redoverfarm

After a late start today I managed to finish up the gate post.  I will allow 2-3 days set up time before attaching the gate hardware and hanging the gates.  The existing gate post were scrap 6 X 8 PT post and intended to be temporary.  Here is a couople of photographs of the finished post.  Even with farm gates it will be more attractive at the entrance.

I had some left over mortar so I started on the deck support piers.  I normally do small stuff like this with the days left over mortar but for some reason I must be getting better at estimating material because with the exception of today I haven't had any.  I just have 7 piers to rock and I should  d* be finished with the stone work.  

Fall is fast approaching.  The leaves can be seen changing daily.  Maybe because it has been so dry this year.  Our peak is Mid October.  Maybe there will be some left by then.

MountainDon

Looks like an entrance to an estate, not a farm John.   :)   I mean that in a nice way.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Yes Don I hope its not too much.  If it is I am just going to live with it.  ;D  Busy day tomarrow.  Going to the builders auction.  Not for the cabin but for my parents recently acquired property.  I also need a new double ext door for a storage building at the house.  I can't believe that I am not buying for the cabin this trip.  Well maybe if something strikes my fancy.  

I am going to try to incorporate a stone sign on one side of the driveway.  There is a company not far from here that sandblast them.  I may even give it a try myself. d*  The biggest difference is that they use sandstone and mine will be whatever I can find on the mountain.    Eventually I will put up antique chestnut rails winged from the post toward the main road.  Here is the company that I was speeking of. 

http://naturalstonesign.com/