thoughts on concrete work...

Started by Erin, March 27, 2008, 11:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erin

Okay, we'll need concrete for the blocked basement walls, the basement floor and the driveway (maybe about twelve by twenty...). 
Obviously a truck would be the easiest way to go with this much concrete, but where we're 40 miles from the nearest cement supplier, the mileage really starts to rack up quickly. 

My dad has a portable, motorized cement mixers (I think it's about 3yds) that we could borrow, but would it be worth the savings to have to do all those loads of mud ourselves?
Or would it be easier because we'd be able to do everything on our time schedule.  The driveway, for example, could be postponed for a while if we're doing it ourselves, but were we using a truck, it'd be easier to get it all in one fell swoop...

Thoughts?  What has everyone else done?

--Erin
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

John_C

Erin,
   I'd suggest you check that mixer again.  A 3 cu. yd. mixer would have almost 6 tons of concrete in it. It would have to be on a sizable trailer. I'm guessing it's 3 cu. ft.  not yds.   That would be 9 batches per cu. yd.     A lot of batches if you need to pour a large area.  Check the prices of buying cement, sand & aggregate in small quantities. Often it ends up more than delivered.  If you are pouring a large footing for example it might be a good idea to have two mixers and crews.  Starting at one spot and working around the foundation in opposite directions you can maintain a wet edge for each fresh batch.

Hope it helps.

Erin

Oops!  lol
No, it's about 10 ft/3
I goofed with my conversion. 

ScottA

Pay for the truck. There is a good reason concrete comes in trucks ready made.

Redoverfarm

I wouldn't even think about hand mixing that much. The mixer is probably 1/3 yard mixer.  That would mean if you could fill it up all the way it would take 3 turns per yard which is doubtful to happend. With a 12' X 20' X 4" you are talking about 2.96 cuyds.  That is providing that everything is exactly 4" deep. Usually never happens.  Are you sure on the size?  12X 20 is not very big for what you are contemplating. The basement yes but to include a driveway.  The driveway dependent on how much weight you will have on it I would opt for at least 5". The basement is oK at 4". 

Most concrete suppliers have a minimun yardage or charge you extra.  Here it is now 4 yards.  So even the extra would be cheaper.  I usually have a couple others areas ready for overrun rather than them taking it back and dumping.  Get the exact measurments and ping again and I will try to figure it up for you.

MountainDon

I would not want to site mix large quantities with the usual sized portable mixer. But to use transit mix you will need a good work crew.

I plan on using one of the portable mixers (I have one) for my footings and for filling the blocks as I don't need anywhere near what the transit mixer needs to make a sale/trip. And it's nearly 50 miles, and if it rained it might not make it in to the property.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

n74tg

My basement slab is 12 x 22.  I poured it in two halves and finished it myself.  It was my first slab pour ever.  If I had it to do over again (read that as now having a little experience) I might just pour it all at once. 

If you want to read more about it, it's discussed in my blog (address below).  Go to the archive and click on 2006-07-30 and 2006-09-10.

My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

MikeT

This is one of those where you think you might find a way to save some money, but you will be so far ahead if you spring for the truck.  I doubt there is any real way to save with this much concrete by DIY.  Someone has to pay for the fuel and wear and tear on a rig to transport the concrete to the site.  The concrete suppliers are not marking up their fuel costs that much. 

For anything short of a few yards, I would look long and hard at how much hand mixing your really want to do.  By the time you lift that 30th bag, rip it open, deal with the dust, etc, you will be hating that decision to do it yourself, especially when you have another 30 bags to go!

I think there are a lot of places to "save" on a project, but I do not think this is one of them....

mt

glenn kangiser

Try to find some concrete people who will assist for a reasonable cost if possible.  One person who knows what they are doing can help a lot of people who don't if you get the right person.  That's the hard part.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Erin

Actually, that part's covered.
Both my husband and myself have poured a lot of concrete over the years.  Me, as just household projects (driveway, sidewalks, etc.).  He--pads for grains bins, and Morton buildings, as well as worked for a while  building culverts, small overpasses, etc. for a highway construction company. 

So far as measurements--No, just the drive is about 12x20.  The basement slab will be 24x40!  (Add in a couple of sidewalks, a little patio in front of the daylight basement's door and we could easily use the whole load of mud. 
BUT, that was kind of my thinking.  While we could use a whole load, we could just as easily put some things off for another day (the driveway, the little patio, etc, etc.)

Redoverfarm

Well if he (we) is experienced enough then go for it. But I would definitely have it delivered.  In regards to the overrun. I usually just form up for a sidewalk and then move the stop board in when the concrete runs out.  It may take 2 or 3 projects but before long you have a complete sideway. I have had several concrete projects in the last 2-3 years and as a result of the overrun I have managed to pour a 44'X3' walkway, 12'X36' building floor, 7'X12' dog run/pen and one set of steps.  As far as the basement goes without my calc I would say that it is twice the driveway demensions so I think you will be looking at approx 6 yards for it which is well above the minimun in this area.

glenn kangiser

24x40=960 sf / 80 sf pcu.yd  @ 4" = 12 cu. yds or over one truck load plus any footings.  Way too much to do by hand in my opinion unless you break it down into small batches and love hard work.

I have done or overseen a few hundred floors on farm shop buildings mostly.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Erin I apoligize. Thats what I get for being lazy and not getting the calc. Glen is right it would be 11.85 yards.  I guess no ice cream for me tonight.  Anyway too much to hand mix.