Hard to find

Started by Redoverfarm, October 06, 2010, 09:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Recently I blew the DC fuses in my 750 watt power inverter.  No problem I thought since they were the standard ATC blade fuses used in the automobile industry.  To my surprise NO ONE sells a 35 amp.  Everyone sells 30's but that's it.  I have checked at every auto parts store in my area WV and some in VA and they can't find them.  There are three in the inverter.  I checked on the net and yes they say they can get them but I hate to pay $8-10 shipping on a 3- 50 cent fuses.  I called the manufacturer which was "Vector" and they are no longer in buisness and was bought by Black & Decker and they have no parts only replace if they are under warranty.   [frus]

muldoon

I would try RV places, or car stereo places if you wanted it local.  If no luck, online is the way to go. 
an example - http://www.shoprvparts.com/product.do?no=13392F&WT.mc_id=gb1

aside from that, tempting as it may be, don't stick a .22 in the slot. 

Redoverfarm

Thanks Muldoon.  I hit Radio Shack as well as Best Buy and they didn't have it either.  Federated Auto Parts, Napa, Auto Zone, Motor Parts, VW , Chevrolet.  I did see that one of the places on the net was a music store so apparently they might use them in Amps.  Placed a call to them this evening and they haven't returned.  BTW I checked the site you gave me and they have everything from 7-1/2 to 40 amps but skip the 35's.

MountainDon

a car stereo shop; one that sells the big amps that make door panels flex with the bass beat.    ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

bayview

I wonder why the fuses "blew" in the first place.  (?)

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

glenn kangiser

How about using 30's and just running at 600 or so watts - or 40's and hoping that the blowout is fast and doesn't overheat the wires.  [ouch]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: bayview on October 07, 2010, 02:16:40 PM

I wonder why the fuses "blew" in the first place.  (?)

/.

I know how but not willing to admit it.  Where is my glasses at +/-.

Redoverfarm

Frank thanks a bunch.  I owe you.  They are on their way.   :)

Redoverfarm

Well back on the hunt again.  After receiving the fuses they were the "mini" style.  I called the company and they do not carry the standard.  I have founhd them but I don't want to pay the additional $10-12 shipping on such a small order.  I am sure if I look hard enough someone should have them at a reasonable price and shipping that will not break the bank.  Seems these are used alot in Audio-visual buisness in amplifiers.

ChuckinVa

John,
What is the measurement out side to outside on the tabs?
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Redoverfarm

Chuck the standard  fuses are 9/16" and the mini's are 7/16".  Other than the size they are both rated at 35 amps.  I never really checked to see if I could use the mini's in place of the standards. The thickness of the blades are a little thinner onthe mini's than the standard.

peternap

I think I can get them here John. I have my AV guy at Sam Ash checking now. Do you need slo blo or regular?

It won't cost you any shipping at all.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

Found em John. The Fuse Company in Richmond has them in 5 packs.
Standard size (She measured them while I was on the phone).

I need to go into the city Monday anyway. I'll pick up a couple packs for you.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Hey Peter thanks for the effort.  I just went ahead and ordered them off Ebay that Frank posted earlier.  I have been fretting about these for the last few weeks and got tired of looking.  So I got 25 for about $4.99.  If they are not right I might be talking to you later.  Been battling a cold or something the last few days.  Not really wanting to put up with the hassel of looking anymore. BTW I got a new Toshiba laptop for my Bday.  Can't get the hang of it yet.  Frank put two sites up and I of course only went to the first one.  Second one had them.  So if you know if anyone needing 35 amp fuses let me know as I will have plenty d*

peternap

No problem. If this order doesn't pan out, let me know.
Sorry about the cold. I may be right there with you. I got caught in a rainstorm today about 50 miles from home. I'm nearly frozen.

glenn kangiser

Hey John, I jamb the mini ones into the big slots all of the time - I have some gate operators at a customers and they blow them often when they screw something up - The mini's will work fine in them, at least they have for me.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.