Diary of a 20x24 cabin going up in NH

Started by cockergod18, May 18, 2006, 05:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mommymem

i love your camp! way better than the one my dad dragged me to during hunting season while i was growing up. we had to walk all the way out back to the outhouse!

dmlsr

Well nothing got done this past weekend. I had to walk in .To much snow 4 my truck :'(

thanks 4 looking
Dave

peteh2833

glenn-k

I tried driving over a pile about that deep one time -- high centered the truck on frozen icy snow - used the winch to pull the truck sideways toward a tree - broke the cable first time-- retied it.  Pulled the tire off the rim the second time.  No spare - -night time coming  and 20 miles from the nearest town.  It was a real bummer. :(

dmlsr

We  got in with our trucks so we could get something done . Al  got the back wall done. I cased a few windows.

On Monday Al worked on the bathroom ceiling and lights  . I worked in the dinning room.

Thanks 4 looking

Dave

MountainDon

Looking very nice, Dave. I wish I was working on mine instead of waiting for the snow to melt   :)

glenn-k

Looks great, Dave.  Thanks for the new pix. :)

jraabe

Nice looking detail for the ceiling lights. That pine looks great and the way you pop out the bottom of the joists is handsome. In a few months all those boards will oxidize and blend in quite nicely.

dmlsr

Got some nice weather this past weekend. We got some inside work done . Forgot  camera will have to wait til; later in the week for pic's

thanks for looking

Dave

dmlsr

Well we got more snow. My truck does not do well in the snow so we took Al's Ford in. We  got in with out to much trouble.

Did some trim work on the windows.
Al worked doing Insulation.

Called it a early day incase we got stuck on the way out.

thanks for looking

Dave

Sassy

Looking good!  You'll be ready for summer camping & all the comforts of home  :)

Bouncer

Dave,
I see that you have the electric hooked up inside. Did you bother to ground your system, or are you just using a reverse plug from the generater? By the way cabin looking good. My place in Northern Vermont is under 35 inches of snow so I can't even try to get back there. Hopefully by the end of April if the Mud Season isn't to bad.

Kevin

Doug_Martin

QuoteHopefully by the end of April if the Mud Season isn't to bad.

Its 60 degress here in Western Mass today with a foot and a half of snow pack on the ground and a big rainstorm predicted for tonight.  I think mud season is gonna be here real quick.

dmlsr

im sure the road in will be a joy this weekend

Dave

dmlsr

The last few weeks it has been hard driving in to work. Then when we get there we have been doing little things that dont show much but have to be done.

This week we worked on the  stove pipe and ceiling .

Thanks 4 looking
Dave

dmlsr

We got one side of the ceiling done this weekend. Weathers been bad here

glenn-k

Looking good, Dave -- the weather has got to give you a break one of these days. :)

QuoteThis cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Can you share a few thoughts with us about your motivation Dave?  If not - no problem.  Looks like fond memories to me. :)

dmlsr

Well as the story goes. My granfather Henry owned the land for many years. He had a small camp on the upper piece of land . They had a well for water. Behind the camp they had a garden. Henry sold cord wood. He had  men from town that would live at the cabin all week cutting wood and would come back to town on friday to get paid.  The workers would go out  on the town and have a good time. When they had no more money they would come back and would want to go back to work. Some would  show up as early as Saturday and the rest by Monday morning.
    The land was then handed down to my dad Robert. He would have us go up and cut wood to heat our home and my brothers home. We had many interesting time up at the land.
    Know the land has been handed down again and hope to keep it going on and on. Both Henry and Robert where very hard working men that made it possible for all of this to happen

Pictures are of old camp site and well

dmlsr

It held water with a few small leaks. I think with a little work it should be ok

peg_688

How long did you leave water in it? It may swell and seal IF you keep it filled , the problem at the cabin site may be getting / having enought water to keep it filled while it swells up.  

If you can keep it wet it should slowly swell and stop leaking.

dmlsr

Not long. I think it will seal up for the most part

dmlsr

Sunday and monday Alex and I polyurethaned the hole upstairs 2 coats. This weekend we will be doing the floors up stairs.
We also hung the front screen door i made.

optionguru

We did the Sunday and Monday thing in our little corner of NH as well.  Everything is looking great, I'm envious.  We got 2 walkways built as well as part of a platform that we will use for tents while trying to decide which cabin to build.  I hope you had the same weather yesterday that we had.

Peter