Drop Down out the door to a deck??

Started by Willy, March 28, 2008, 11:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

Is there a code not allowing a 7" drop down out a back door onto a deck?? Or does a deck have to sorta be level to the doorway unless you have a landing at the doorway?

What I was wanting to do was lower the rear deck 7 inches down right out the back door due to exstream snow falls sliding off the roof above. This would give a little more build up room and keep any melt from working into the doorway better.

Is this a bad idea to do droping the deck or against code??? Mark

MountainDon

Not sure about code on that. However, I wouldn't want to have what amounts to a full step down right outside a door like that. Even IF I remembered the step every time, sooner or later a family member or visitor won't and they'll take a tumble.

I believe you should have at least a 3 foot area something like a 1&1/2 or so lower that the door threshold.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Willy

Quote from: MountainDon on March 28, 2008, 11:35:27 AM
Not sure about code on that. However, I wouldn't want to have what amounts to a full step down right outside a door like that. Even IF I remembered the step every time, sooner or later a family member or visitor won't and they'll take a tumble.

I believe you should have at least a 3 foot area something like a 1&1/2 or so lower that the door threshold.

You have a good point on forgeting and maybe if you have packages in your hand it would be hard to guess the step. I know on my blue print it shows the front porch a little below the door height but like only a inch or so. I would have to scale it real close to see how much drop it has. Mark

ScottA

Mark my cabin has a 5" step down onto the deck. I've been going in and out for weeks during construction and it hasn't been an issue yet.

MikeT

I was just in Dillon, Colorado this week at a condo where my family and I were skiing.  The sliding glass doors to both decks were clearly placed about a foot above the normal threshold height--presumably that was because of snow.  But the decks were essentially at the same height at the floor inside.

I was thinking to myself as I looked at it that if you were going to do something like this, it makes sense to make it clearly a step up and over as opposed to a slight (3-4") step.  By being clearly a step up and over, I think you eliminate the possibility that folks might forget.

mt

Garrett In Tahoe

Willy,

I believe the code states that if you have an out swinging door then the landing needs to be 3' x 3'. If you have a patio slider or inswinging door then it should be fine. As I remember the code allows for one riser not to exceed 9".

I live in snow country as well and it's always a good idea to keep the deck lower for the reasons you mentioned. I've yet to be called on it by the building inspector. I usually try to keep to keep it around 3- 1/2".

Willy

Quote from: Garrett In Tahoe on March 28, 2008, 11:51:29 AM
Willy,

I believe the code states that if you have an out swinging door then the landing needs to be 3' x 3'. If you have a patio slider or inswinging door then it should be fine. As I remember the code allows for one riser not to exceed 9".

I live in snow country as well and it's always a good idea to keep the deck lower for the reasons you mentioned. I've yet to be called on it by the building inspector. I usually try to keep to keep it around 3- 1/2".
Around here your door better open in because you might not get out in a snow storm. I was just reading about decks and severl sites talked about dropping the deck down for snow reasons also. Mark

Here is one and I put it in the resourse section also.

http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article.asp?article_id=60350

Willy

Quote from: MikeT on March 28, 2008, 11:51:03 AM
I was just in Dillon, Colorado this week at a condo where my family and I were skiing.  The sliding glass doors to both decks were clearly placed about a foot above the normal threshold height--presumably that was because of snow.  But the decks were essentially at the same height at the floor inside.

mt
Man that would be strange to just have the doorway higher up in the wall and have to step over it. I know for sure I would mess up on that in short time catching my foot not lifting it high enought to clear it. Mark

Willy

Just called my inspector and he said if the door swings in or slides I can drop down 7 3/4" no problem on my porch or deck. Now the neat part I asked him is there a problem building my deck with out plans and extra permit fees? He said go ahead no big deal.

Now I know this was the time to spring the other change of the porch area to added living space with out extra fees or plan changes. He also said it was OK since now he knows me and has inspected things I built on my home allready in the past. I told him the posts were ready for inspection but he just said go ahead and frame it all up and then give them a call to come out for a look.

This is way to COOL of a inspector to deal with!! Mark

Garrett In Tahoe

Mark,

I know what you mean, can't get the door open if it outswings ??? but I've seen designs for it. Like where you have a shallow Garage and a rear passage door and if the door swings in the cars are in the way. Poor planning.

I usually go 3-1/2" because we normally use 3 1/2" casings for our trim, so it matches below. Plus it gives additional support for the outer edge of the threshold. I wouldn't go much less if you get a lot of iceing up.

Willy

Quote from: Garrett In Tahoe on March 28, 2008, 01:15:31 PM
Mark,

I know what you mean, can't get the door open if it outswings ??? but I've seen designs for it. Like where you have a shallow Garage and a rear passage door and if the door swings in the cars are in the way. Poor planning.

I usually go 3-1/2" because we normally use 3 1/2" casings for our trim, so it matches below. Plus it gives additional support for the outer edge of the threshold. I wouldn't go much less if you get a lot of iceing up.
The icing up is the problem since the cabin won't be stayed at all year long. A few snows and melts sliding off on to the deck I can see a problem. If I was going to keep it or live there I would make a over hang. I still might extend the roof over the doorway some since I have the head room. All it would take is a 6 ft wide 3 ft long roof extention sitting on two posts. If I do it now I could extend the rafter/plywwod/steel roof all at the same time. Droping the deck gives me more head room to work with. I might have to do some math and scale drawing to see how far out I could go. Mark

Redoverfarm

In swing is usually a must.  One summer I helped a friend put storm doors on condo's at a ski resort that the homeowners wanted.  Well they stayed on for about a year before the wind caught them and either warped or broke them.  Alot of them were on the rental plans and he occupants didn't make sure they were latched when closed. 

As far as drop down on the deck or porch. I think that maybe the major reason for at least 1-2" drop was that so the water would not back up into the threshold and rot it out.  If you have an open deck or porch and snow lays then if it were floor level the ice dam would cause the water to be sucked back under the door and threshold.  The majority of the deck builders that I know are beginning to make freestanding decks or blocked out decks off the house.  Using a 3/4" vinyle block to bolt through the ledger and flashing.  Thus keeping the water from rotting the ledger board or worse the rim joist.   

Willy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on March 28, 2008, 03:04:06 PM
In swing is usually a must.  One summer I helped a friend put storm doors on condo's at a ski resort that the homeowners wanted.  Well they stayed on for about a year before the wind caught them and either warped or broke them.  Alot of them were on the rental plans and he occupants didn't make sure they were latched when closed. 

As far as drop down on the deck or porch. I think that maybe the major reason for at least 1-2" drop was that so the water would not back up into the threshold and rot it out.  If you have an open deck or porch and snow lays then if it were floor level the ice dam would cause the water to be sucked back under the door and threshold.  The majority of the deck builders that I know are beginning to make freestanding decks or blocked out decks off the house.  Using a 3/4" vinyle block to bolt through the ledger and flashing.  Thus keeping the water from rotting the ledger board or worse the rim joist.   
Another reason for keeping the porch and deck below 30 inches is the 4 inch max opening rule on the railing does not have to be done. Then I can build a simpler solid railing with out all those skinny little 2x2s - 6 inches on center the whole way around. Mark

Redoverfarm

Mark I am not that familar with codes but I had heard that 18" was the magic number.  ???  Myself I am going to use debarked rails (inside and out)if I can find a tenon jig that will not break the bank. Saw a tip on using a router to cut them but I would have to buy that too as the smaller Round over bits are not big enough.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Thanks Glenn.  I had seen these before.  I think if I went for one it would be a shouldered cutter that uses a 1/2" drill.  It gives a better looking job in that the tenon is not just cut in but the taper to the tenon.  I have also though of a wood lathe but this would be time consuming.

Willy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on March 28, 2008, 04:58:52 PM
Mark I am not that familar with codes but I had heard that 18" was the magic number.  ???  Myself I am going to use debarked rails (inside and out)if I can find a tenon jig that will not break the bank. Saw a tip on using a router to cut them but I would have to buy that too as the smaller Round over bits are not big enough.
That number less than 30 inches allows you to build the railing different not just leave it off. I think there is another measurement that allows no railing at all. Mark

MountainDon

and some jurisdictions have their own regs that may differ from the UBC or IRC
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.