Making Cheese?

Started by OlJarhead, November 14, 2010, 12:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Any of you made your own cheese?

Unable to get to the cabin EVERY weekend has lead me to many other things...my latest making cheese :)

Just started today making cheddar -- first time!  The culture went well and smells like Yogurt and Sour Cream...actually smells pretty good....and the milk is warming on the stove :)

So, I'm back to the stove!  Wish me luck!

NM_Shooter

Never have tried it, but wanted to.  Got a link to info?  Or are you doing the old fashioned way (gasp) by a book?
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

OlJarhead

Quote from: NM_Shooter on November 14, 2010, 05:23:02 PM
Never have tried it, but wanted to.  Got a link to info?  Or are you doing the old fashioned way (gasp) by a book?

I have a few references that I'm using.  Sort of combining them for my first attempt.

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese_5_gallons/cheese_5gal_00.htm

That was the first I read I think...then this one:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2305824_make-sharp-cheddar-cheese.html

And finally I bought a press on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160394176676#vi-content

And a culture and rennet from: http://www.cheesemaking.com/  Where I also bought color, calcium chloride, cheese cloth and wax.

I have found a press that I think is much better then the one i have know but the price is prohibitive so I think I might actually make my own.  My idea is to make a piston to go inside the cylinder of the press.  This way the follower can't tilt which is what I'm finding this one does as you begin to press the cheese.

MountainDon

So I guess now you'll be known as the big cheese.  ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Pox Eclipse

I saw a TV program about making mozzarella that looked pretty easy, I'd like to try that sometime.

NM_Shooter

Hey. ... did you just say you were squeezing the cheese?
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

OlJarhead

Done!  Well not exactly, this picture was taken before putting it back in the press for the 24 hour pressing it needs.  Then I'll dry it for a few days (in the meat drawer I suppose -- though I've read counter as well as cave...hmmm) and then after a good rind is developed I'll wax it and begin the aging process :)

OlJarhead

I'm now at the drying stage :)  Going to dry for a week in the fridge (I've read everything from 2-3 days on the counter to 1-2 weeks in the fridge so I guess it's a personal thing) and then with luck will have a good rind and can clean it (get rid of molds) and wax it.

Then plan to allow it to age for a couple months before giving it a try.

Shawn B

Erik,

Is that a PVC or ceramic mold?  This is something I would like to learn more about. Really way  [cool]
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

OlJarhead

Quote from: Shawn B on November 16, 2010, 12:22:25 PM
Erik,

Is that a PVC or ceramic mold?  This is something I would like to learn more about. Really way  [cool]

Yup -- just some PVC with holes in the sides near the bottom to allow the Whey to drain, a 50lbs spring on the end of some all thread rod and some wood and bolts -- more or less.

I actually bought this press off Ebay because I was too busy to make my own but plan to make one twice it's size soon :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

I want to try this one of these days... on my list of projects to try.  :)
Let us know how it tastes when you get around to tasting it!!

OlJarhead

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on November 16, 2010, 10:13:14 PM
I want to try this one of these days... on my list of projects to try.  :)
Let us know how it tastes when you get around to tasting it!!

I'll try! ;)  But I intend to age for at least two months :)

I'm finding it's drying nicely (which shouldn't surprise me since it's a dry climate) and I'll likely be able to wax sooner -- though I don't think I have to...so much to learn!  Anyway, I plan to smooth the sides (probably supposed to do that FIRST but I don't know for sure) and wax when it's ready and then age it in the 'meat' drawer in the Fridge -- wish I had a cave though!

peternap

This has been an interesting thread, thanks!
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

OlJarhead

After 3 days of air drying.  I've read that it needs to develop a rind before being waxed so that it can age properly....

One thing I can tell you is that it smells GOOD!  I mean, sure it's cheese and all that but there is something about THIS cheese that doesn't smell ANYTHING like the Cheddar you buy in the store...I'm talking it smells GOOD! 

I'm guessing that it's like home cooking where you aren't afraid to add some spices and make your dinners have FLAVOR whereas the restaurants usually don't want flavor becuase it might offend someone...hehe  anyway, this CHEESE is cheesy :D

OlJarhead

http://www.cheesemaking.com/  this is the site I bought the culture, wax, rennet, calcium chloride, coloring (which I got wrong me thinks) and cheese cloth from.

I got the press off ebay and a recipe that I loosely used from ehow as well as another I'll post here...

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese_5_gallons/cheese_5gal_00.htm

OlJarhead

I've had to move my cheese into a 'cave' because the refrigerator was drying it out too quickly and was too cold.  I got the idea from a cheesy forum :)  Basically use a cooler and place an iceblock in the bottom of it.  Then set a tupperware dish over it and an upside down bowl on top of that and place the cheese there.  Of course you have to fully clean and sanitize the cooler first (with bleach to kill any bugs).  This will allow the cheese to stay closer to the 55 degrees you want it at and have the added benefit of humidity as the block thaws (it sweats).

I started on that course because my cheese cracked.

I read that the cracks can mend as long as you give them time in a humid environment while allowing them to ripen.  Once the crack mends then it's time to wax and age.

Don_P

Your mention of needing a cave brought this place to mind. It's in MushCreek's neighborhood. Clemson University used it for some time to experiment with cheesemaking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stumphouse_Mountain_Tunnel

I hear its even better with homemade rennet  ;D.

Sassy

Looks good!  Aren't you a little tempted to try it before it's totally aged?   :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

OlJarhead

Quote from: Sassy on November 20, 2010, 10:44:56 PM
Looks good!  Aren't you a little tempted to try it before it's totally aged?   :)

Hmmm....well I suppose it would be normally but I went out and bought some of this: http://www.fiscalinicheese.com/

It was $7 per 1/4th of a pound and I bought just over half a pound :)  I've eaten half already!  Mmmmm their aged cheddar (I bought the oldest the store had - local store that is -- which was 32 months aged) is amazing and gave me a good idea of what professional aged cheddar is like since I haven't had any in a long time and then only had small amounts.

I grew up on cheese but rarely got to try to best stuff -- Fiscalini is amazing :)

So, now I have something to shoot for! :D

OlJarhead

Quote from: Don_P on November 20, 2010, 09:53:51 PM
Your mention of needing a cave brought this place to mind. It's in MushCreek's neighborhood. Clemson University used it for some time to experiment with cheesemaking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stumphouse_Mountain_Tunnel

I hear its even better with homemade rennet  ;D.

Don't tempt me :)

Actually I'd be interested in home made rennet.  I now know how to make home made pectin :)  So why not rennet?

Sassy

Modesto is pretty close to us - may have to take a drive down there & try some of their cheese. 

Interesting info about the digester...  bet it was expensive but sounds like it's working as intended & in the long run will pay for itself.

Always enjoyed going to the Tilamook cheese factory in Tilamook, Oregon...  especially love the "squeaky cheese" - the cheese curds before they're aged...  that's why I asked if it wasn't tempting to try out some of your cheese - especially since you said it smelled so good.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

OlJarhead

Lots of trials and tribulations since my last posts.

First, the cheese was way too dry in the fridge and too cold.  I learned this the hard way (and living in the desert I should have known).  So after buying a hydrometer and learning the house was at 35% humidity and the fridge worse I made a 'mini cave' for my cheese out of a cooler, an icepack, some water and a few dishes.

However my cheese was too damaged from drying too fast and had cracked beyond repair.

But I didn't give up and continued to age in a better environment with wrappings to try to rehydrate the sides to mend the cracking.  Only thing I got was moldy cheese (which is normal actually):

So finally, after two weeks of ripening I was told to cut off the cracked parts and wax the cheese for aging anyway.

I found that the cheese was too moist and discovered the error in my procedure (not cooking the curds long enough and letting the culture do it's thing -- the actual cheddaring process).

But I tasted the cheese and was surprised by it's robust flavor!  Despite it's young age I was VERY impressed!  Heck I messed this cheese up pretty well but it tasted great :D  SO I decided to wax (which I later learned was not a good idea and now I'll vacuum seal it instead because waxing shouldn't be done on a cheese like this one -- with the holes and crumbly texture.

The waxed block.  I put the rest in a ziplock and intend to vacuum all of it tomorrow for aging anyway.

I then started on round two :)  A colored cheddar....which I promptly messed up but might have also saved :)  It's a learning process!

Cooking the curds (something I did mostly right this time).

So it's in the press and now we wait to see how it turns out :)  Seems like it's not mending much yet but we'll see.

Erik

Homegrown Tomatoes

I'm glad you're going through all this trial and error now so that by the time we get around to trying all this you'll be the expert I can call on!   ::) ;D

OlJarhead

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on November 28, 2010, 03:20:41 PM
I'm glad you're going through all this trial and error now so that by the time we get around to trying all this you'll be the expert I can call on!   ::) ;D

:D  I hope to be someone you CAN call on :D  But that will take time.....  In the meantime this is my latest after 20 hours of pressing: