Whidbey Islanders meet

Started by peg_688, August 20, 2006, 12:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peg_688

Well John and I met at the opening night of the Whidbey Island Woodworkers Guild annual show in Bayview , Wa. on Whidbey Island .

Proof , althought we did not check ID's  ::)

John's wearing the blue shirt.

Guild site : http://www.whidbeywoodworkers.com/index.html

PEG = Paul E. Girouard

Named by my sister so my intials matched her nick name , or so the story goes  ;D  

glenn-k

Looks like you guys were having fun.   Wish I could have been there. :)

n74tg

I had wondered for a year what PEG stood for, but never took the time to ask...thanks.
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

glenn kangiser

PEG stands for fine craftsmanship, quality, knowledge and willingness to share and help others.  Pun intended. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

PEG - where are the pictures of your tables you were selling?

We need to have a big get-together sometime with all the CP members - IIRC, weren't some of you planning a barbecue quite awhile back?  What happened??? It would be fun to meet everyone in person!  
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

PEG688

QuotePEG stands for fine craftsmanship, quality, knowledge and willingness to share and help others.  Pun intended. :)

Good thing your not in charge of acronyms around here :-/ :-/ ;D
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

QuotePEG - where are the pictures of your tables you were selling?

John has a photo of us and one table my wife took with his camera maybe he'll post it.

I have floor duty this  coming Friday , 25 Aug. I'll take some photos of stuff , there's some really nice work at the show , my tables are "ok" in comparision  to a few pieces  :o

glenn kangiser

QuotePEG - where are the pictures of your tables you were selling?

John has a photo of us and one table my wife took with his camera maybe he'll post it.

That was dumb - I forgot to type the message.

I was going to say --how can he post it if your wife took his camera?  dumb huh. :)

PEG688

QuoteMTL :)

Yup your More Than Likely right about that  ;)

glenn kangiser

Maybe she gave the table and camera back.  Crimoney --- what's wrong with my mind??? :-/

PEG688

Crimoney --- what's wrong with my mind??? :-/

What mind ?  :o What a terrible thing to waste  ;D To much coffee this AM Glenn :-/ :-/ ;D

ShawnaJ

Hey no fair my native Whidbey kid wasn't there....

She's taking CAD this semester, guess she's being true to her roots at least....she's very artistic.

John Raabe

I was hoping I wouldn't have to post this photo of PEG and I with his handsome table in the background. It is pretty Goofy!

The table was built with a panel of mystery wood that came from a 1950's entertainment center built in Indonesia. Have I got that right PEG? Very interesting material and made a good looking project piece.

It was a great show and wonderful to meet the person behind the keystrokes.  :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

PEG688

#1: I was hoping I wouldn't have to post this photo of PEG and I with his handsome table in the background. It is pretty Goofy!

#2:   Built with a panel of mystery wood that came from a 1950's entertainment center built in Indonesia. Is that right PEG? Very interesting material and made a good looking project piece.

#1  Nah we ain't goofy , just old lookin :o

#2: salvaged wood froma entertainment center from the P.I.  Subic city / Olongapo USN base / port  in the late 60's maybe early 70's by a sailor friend of mine . He was done with it so we / he broke it down into pieces which I planed off the old paint like finish , to reveal the wood,  now showing  MTL Babinga , a S. Afircan wood . Strange path to Whidbey Isl. ,

BTW same here on meeting ya , and thanks for the comment on my work , much better stuff as I said is on display at the show .

But that's why I joined the guild , to push myself to get better , by being around guys , and gals (we have at least 3 female members of the guild ) that have more furniture experience than I have  8-).

Never to old , or proud to learn something new / better / cooler.  :) A old mentor of mine said you'll learn something from every one you meet if your mind is open , a lazy dude will have a easier way to do something just because he's lazy and looked for easier way , a well trained dude , or dudet ;)(girl) , will teach ya something better,  might not be easier, but long haul,  better. And stuff I make , (most of the time temp staging temp supports not included ), I build to function now and for the next 200 years , doesn't always happen that way but it is the intent that what I build  will / should last way longer than me , good stewardship in a nut shell 8-) of what I've been given to work with , both in skill and materials.  

OK here's your pulpit back  :-[, I'm done preaching for today  ;D, I think  ;)  

John Raabe

Sounds like the voice of Wisdom talkin' to me!  ;)

(You're never too old to learn from a lazy person!  :D)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

peg_688

PEG - where are the pictures of your tables you were selling?

As promised  ;)

Both tables are of  Tops & lower cross stretchers  Babinga , Red Oak self edge & legs , lower stretchers Walnut with Maple plugs.

This is the one John and I where blocking  ::)

Other notable pieces by other guild memebrs ,

peg_688

Few more notable's by guild memebrs :

glenn-k

Whidbey Islanders Meat.

http://www.workingmansbbq.com/products.htm

http://www.workingmansbbq.com/bbqmain.htm

At first I thought I was being funny ----but now it's making me hungry.

jraabe

I think that's a different Guild you are thinking of Glenn....

peg_688

Try this :  Three sisters cattle company: Locally grown beef cattle , income used for the sisters college funds , Jennifer , oldest sister , Roshelle youngest , can't remember the middle sisters name .

Photo , of Shelly the Mom , Jennifer, the middle sister , and Ron .

Notice how a farmers daughter hold a calf , knowing it's not a pet , sort of wierd how those girls , all very hard worker's :) , Jennifer's the ram rod . She's off to college this year Ron & Shelly will  sure miss her but MTL the middle sister will step right into the "Crew Boss " position . I've worked on ther house a couple of years ago , they had a fire . The farm house is a prime example of a old house late 1800/ early 1900 that has both very poor wood , really bad studs with knots 3" round , over spanned every thing , joist , beams , rafters etc. [highlight]and the design[/highlight] was like "lets off set every point load on each floor" , no sense to it really the 2 nd floor point loads did reflex the crawl space but the 10 ' in between (first floor ) was off set in it's bearing points ,  She (the house ) is very crooked , off in one place IIRC 3" from the stairwell / bottom step , to the front door , less then 6' away :o

But back to MEAT the  3 sister cattle comp. sells at all the local grocery stores  :)      
And back to the weird coment they really see cows as crops , most of us get all gushy / loving etc . Those girls see business $$$ just life "on the farm" /"the way it is".  

Great folks the Muzzall's just sold out all the dairy cows so Whidbey is down to one working dairy from like 10 , say 15 years ago. Life on the farm is hard and a local or is it LOCO enver. group WEAN has made it impossible , all most , for farmers to farm thier land , All these farms where family owned 100 year old working farms

But hey that's another storey , So Local MEAT , we have that as well ;)    

glenn-k

Good story, PEG.  Sorry I got mixed up. :-/

jwv

Looking at these photos, it makes me think how amazing people are!  What beautiful work.

I remember, years ago, watching the Woodright's Shop on PBS and being entranced that people could actually make furniture that was so beautiful out of such simple things!

Judy