My place in 1896

Started by Whitlock, October 24, 2008, 01:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitlock

Trying to get my photo bucket up and running again d*
None of this is left :(

Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Redoverfarm

What about "today" picture?  Almost everything never stays the same. 

MountainDon

Nice. You take the picture, Whitlock??  rofl rofl
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Whitlock

glenn kangiser

He's pretty old for a young guy. ::)

I really love that picture and I could just about have seen that from my place.  At least I have got to go up there and dig around with the Bobcat. :)

Is your current house sitting on one of the pictured tailing piles, Whitlock?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: Whitlock on October 24, 2008, 01:55:12 PM

Glenn doesn't that building on the RH side look like the place you posted a while back? Or is it the same place? Do you remember the one I mean? When I was looking for the CB -66 thread I never found , I did see that other building , the tall skinny one you posted on your mining thread.

Sure looks similar.   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Very similar, PEG, but the one I posted burned in the last fire.  BLM said they are going to preserve it as a burned mill and have now completely locked the public away from their(the public's property- BLM owns nothing -- they also are owned by the public but they forget -- drunk with their own power) property, last I heard.  It was about a half mile further up the road than this to the left of the mill in this picture.  It was a bit lower in the valley. 

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Whitlock

None of these buildings made it after the 1936 fire. I have my cabin build in the area of the upper right corner of the picture.
As I'm sure most of you know this is a old gold mine.
The large building was were the 20 stamp mill was located. Note the stacks of fire wood to run the boilers. That wood is cut in 6 or 8 foot lights.
The little building at the top of the mill building was the assay office.
The building at the top right of the picture was a sorting room used for sorting out the low grade ore before it was shipped to the mill. Note the tram way to the mill and the ore cars lined up in the back of it.
The building  right below it is a hoist house use to house the winch that would lift the ore out of the ground from the shaft.
The building with all the tools around it was the blacksmith shop and the one to the left of it was the superintendant's house.

I bet the tax man would love fo me to have all that square footage to tax heh

glenn kangiser

I wonder if the mining districts had their own taxation district also or if they just tarred and feathered them and ran them out of town? heh

desdawg

That is pretty neat. But I have to agree with John (Redoverfarm). We need a then and now picture to compare.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Whitlock

The now picture is nothing but brush and a lot of it d*
I will climb my butt up the other side of the canyon and take one.
I have been wanting to do that for awhile c*

glenn kangiser

You want me to get a Google Earth pix of it? hmm

Whitlock

NO!!!!!!! then everybody will see my piles of natural and un-natural resources heh heh heh

glenn kangiser