I hate being right

Started by peternap, April 03, 2012, 09:42:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Yesterday I filmed a protest by SCCC (Students for Concealed Carry).
I don't especially like the movement because they are pressing for legislation that would allow students with concealed handgun permits, to carry on campus. The rest of us can anyway with or without a permit and I don't like permits

I've decided to ignore my dislike because I wouldn't want my children to go unprotected in school these days and the only chance of this passing is the permit option.

Anyway, I've argued until I'm blue in the face with the anti's, that these school killings will continue. The only way the adult students can protect themselves and their peers, is to be able to carry a gun to class.
That sure paints a rosy picture of modern life, doesn't it.

Anyway, during the event, a news item came over my cell phone telling about the nursing school killings in California. How are the anti's going to explain how in a state with waiting periods for handguns, where open carry is NOT legal and permits are limited to the rich and famous, this can happen.

I can't say I'm happy to burst their balloon.

Here's a very short clip from the video.

http://vimeo.com/39670147

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

Quote from: peternap on April 03, 2012, 09:42:12 AM
I don't especially like the movement because they are pressing for legislation that would allow students with concealed handgun permits, to carry on campus. The rest of us can anyway with or without a permit and I don't like permits

Can you clarify that statement?  Is the law currently that only students are prohibited from carrying on campus?  So if you are not a student you can legally carry on campus?
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

peternap

There is no LAW that prevents anyone, students or otherwise, from carrying on campus (Other than grades K-12). The school enforces it's policy by disciplinary action against students or staff.

They can regulate carry to a small degree INSIDE buildings for non students and staff that do not have permits. Outside buildings, they have no control.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

Do they allow students to open carry in the classrooms?

peternap

Quote from: NM_Shooter on April 03, 2012, 03:14:48 PM
Do they allow students to open carry in the classrooms?

As far as I know, every college in the state has a policy forbidding Students to have firearms on campus unless stored with Campus Police...so the answer is no.

Now if the question is is it legal for them to open carry, school policy or regulation aside, the answer is...yes. (regulations get into another subject)

NM_Shooter

Hmmm.

This is of interest to me, as I have a daughter away at school, and I am considering arming her for protection at her apartment.  I'll need to find a secure way to keep the gun safe yet handy.  I suspect that a quick safe will do. 

She has also indicated interest in CCW, and I believe that it is allowed at her campus in all facilities. 

Funny how there does not seem to be anyone who comes right out and says so one way or another.  I have asked multiple "authorities" and have received nebulous replies. 

peternap

Quote from: NM_Shooter on April 03, 2012, 07:45:16 PM
Hmmm.

This is of interest to me, as I have a daughter away at school, and I am considering arming her for protection at her apartment.  I'll need to find a secure way to keep the gun safe yet handy.  I suspect that a quick safe will do. 

She has also indicated interest in CCW, and I believe that it is allowed at her campus in all facilities. 

Funny how there does not seem to be anyone who comes right out and says so one way or another.  I have asked multiple "authorities" and have received nebulous replies.

Currently I think the only state that has passed a bill requiring schools to honor CCW's is Utah.

In other States, first check State Law to see if it's forbidden (like California) then look at the School Code of Conduct. It will spell out the weapons policy. Off campus housing is always OK if state law allows her to have a gun...but most attacks happen between the school and their residence. Predators are pretty good at knowing when to hit.

NM_Shooter

Oddly, the Colorado schools are pretty lenient about guns on campus too.  I'm not sure I fully understand the wording of the laws though.  Seems like they are intentionally vague.

peternap

Go here and pick a state.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?76-Stories-From-The-States

It's dedicated to open carry but other than me... ;D...most of the people are open minded about concealed carryy, and more than happy to help with research and information about schools, etc.