20x27 single-story - Minnesota

Started by walkabout, May 23, 2011, 01:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Glad the Ditra is working out for you.  Yes it is a little hard on the knees.  I had never been able to get use to wearing knee pads so I just do what I can do until I can't take anymore and quit.  Start again the next day.  BTW I feel about like you as well after crawling around in the attic laying 350 sq ft of R-30 on my knees resting on 1-1/2" ceiling joist.  Only difference is that I can't stand up while I am up there.  Ran out so another 5-6 rolls should do it.  But that is another day.

walkabout

Sorry I have not updated my project for a while. Took a little time off over the summer, but have made some good progress:

• Finished tiling entire 1st floor using Ditra.
  • Finished kitchen base cabinets
  • Just had countertops installed
  • Finished and installed a few bedroom and bathroom door (still have a few doors to go).
  • Insulated crawlspace with Thermax

Doors:

Kitchen Cabinets:

Countertops:

Crawlspace:

walkabout

Started on the shed. Pretty happy with the progress after the first weekend:

Slab:

Start of the framing:

Ridge beam installed:

Some rafters installed:

Redoverfarm

Pretty able ridge beam given the relative size of the shed. 

walkabout

Yes, I thought it was an overkill for a 10x18 shed, but I worked with the inspector and he wanted either double 9.25" LVL or a single 14". Single 14" was less expensive.

Found a great article/video to help cut the rafters. Worked like a charm:
http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2012/11/09/common-rafter-framing/

Don_P

Load and especially span call for impressive looking beams. When the span of a beam doubles, the bending force that the beam must resist quadruples.

walkabout

A little more progress before the snow and rain made it too uncomfortable to work.

Also a nice view of the fall colors from last weekend:

walkabout

More progress.
I passed my framing inspection, so I can now move onto the siding. Hoping to finish before the heavy snow arrives:

walkabout

I completed the siding. Painting will have to wait till the spring.
Rollup door arrives next week, and I will install it over Thanksgiving.

UperJoe

looking good! [cool]
Looks to be we may all still squeeze in a few more weeks yet this fall....sure been a roller coaster on temps hasn't it.
Wonderful year for color all across UP and northern MN and WI for sure....put on 2971 miles wandering around the backroads all across area over 3 plus wonderful weeks of truckin' around. Even managed to sneak in 9 days in the tent all told - man I love the fall!  Makes the skeeters in summer and old man winter all seem worthwhile. By March I'm saying never again and then it all begins anew and I realize I wouldn't trade it for any other place in the USA ! ;)

rick91351

WOW Eye popping fall colors in that photo.  Maybe some day we will get up that way for that. 

Sure fells good when the inspection is done and you can move on.   [cool]  At least you will be undercover to put in the door  ;) no matter what the weather brings. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.