how do I do 12/12 pitch barge rafters from a truss

Started by dablack, September 23, 2012, 07:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dablack

Ok, this is what I get for leaping before I look. 

I'm trying to figure out a way to get barge rafters up.  To match the overhang at the back of the house, I need the barge rafter out about 16" (can't remember exactly right now).  Now, if I would have been smart, I would have sheathed the gable truss and then ladder framed the barges and attached them to the gable truss before I used the sky jack to left the truss in place.  Or it would have been smart to order drop cord gable rafters, but that didn't happen either. 

Now I have a sheathed gable truss up there and I'm trying to figure out a way to attach a barge rafter. 

Should I stick frame it a piece at a time?  I'm thinking 2x6 for the lookouts and then a 2x10 barage rafter.  Maybe cut each lookout to 14.5", put them up and then try and hang the 2x10?  The peak is 25' in the air. 

Maybe frame the whole thing and lift it?  I dunno.  I'm not even sure how I'm going to lift it up there.  Oh boy. 

thanks
Austin

dablack

Ok, I have been looking more and now I'm thinking 2x4 lookouts and a 2x8 barge rafter.  I think that will look ok but I still don't know if I should stick nail it or figure out a way to lift an assembly. 

dablack

I'm still working on this!  I really don't want to notch the top of the gable truss to let in the 2x4s.  I'm also decided I'm not going to have the barge rafter stick out more than 12".   I will post whatever I end up doing. 

thanks
Austin

tristan

IF the barge rafter is only 12 inches from the gable wall you might not need lookouts.  IF you use 5/8" roof decking and tie the barge ratfers into the fascia solid it shoud be pretty stout. 

MushCreek

I don't know how you're going to structurally attach the lookouts. I guess you could drive screws through the gable end into the end of the lookouts. I hung mine after the fact, but I had drop chord gable ends. I was able to screw a light 2X4 fly (barge) rafter onto the ends of my lookouts even though my overhang is 24". I could juuust reach the torx drive screws. My final barge rafters will be 2X8, attached to the sub-frame. I'll probably sheathe it first, leaving extra sheathing, then pull the 2X8 up under the sheathing and attach it. It's simply too heavy to try any other way. The 12/12 pitch further complicates things- my roof is only 5/12- comfortable to work on.

Whatever you do, be careful up there!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

ColchesterCabin

We are currently going through the same scenario but fortunately I am working as part of a team what we done was cut 2x4 on angle to match the roof and peak lines (in my case 14' long board) and put them on the the exterior of the sheeting under the roof extension. Then we used I think they are "F" clamps and did the same is the 2x6x14' of which they went out to the end we clamped them in place first, adjusted second. Which allowed us to leave them up the to provide time to drive 3" spirals through the roof OSB to hold the barge rafters in place. We followed this up by cutting a little long some 2x4's to length and put them in place on 2' centers in between the 2x4 at the edge of the overhang and the barge rafter. The following pictures hopefully shed some light....

shows the 2x4 attached the outside wall under the overhang. We put our house wrap under the 2x4's to give a good water seal.

shows the "f" clamps holding up the outside rafter and the final pictures shows the 2x4's wedge in between the two on 2' centres to support the overhang. Still a cople more to put in.

This was the simplest way we could think of doing it. We couldn't cut overlooks into the gable truss as the trusses were engineered. As you can see we have decided to just wrap and strap it for the winter, revist the project in the spring.
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

dablack

Thanks for all the great info guys.  Since it is just me working and I don't have any scaffolding, I went a very different way but it has ended looking just like ColchesterCabin's setup. 

I built a ladder assembly (the 2x8 exterior board, 2x4 supports, and 2x4 that attaches to the gable end of the house).  With the ladder assembly upside down, I scooted it to the edge of the roof.  Then I attached it to the edge of the gable truss with two big hinges. Then I flipped it over to where it will be permantly attached.  It worked great.  I have pics in my build thread but will attach them here as well for anyone that searches later. 

thanks
Austin

ColchesterCabin

I saw that setup. Very Ingenius I tried to build it in one peice but the weight was too much for me with my dad as support so we decided for a make it as you go approach..
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

dablack

Ok, I did another barge rafter this weekend.  I took, what I think are better pictures.  I'm putting them here for anyone that has the same problem as I did.

Here is the barage rafter winched up onto the roof. 

Here is how I line it up at the top.

Here is how the hinge is attached.  In this picture the barge rafter has already been flipped to the outside of the building. 

Here it is installed.

thanks
Austin