Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on October 22, 2012, 12:33:44 PM
Well, we'll have to talk a a bit about lumber milling.  I have a couple ideas, would love to get my own mill, but it looks doubtful in the near future (year).  It looks like it will be greater than a year out  :(

So maybe there might be something you might be able to mill for me - but I'll take that offline in a few weeks, probably.

Just shoot me an email and I'm certain we can work something out ;)

If I get my trailers sold and my new one built then I should be mobile in a month or so.

OlJarhead

SOLD!!!  My ATV trailer that is :)

So now the real work begins!  I have to get a 20 foot trailer made for my sawmill.  I'm planning a trailer that's 6 feet wide and over the wheels/tires so the logs can clear them when loading.  It will have a work deck (to walk on) beside the mill and a log deck on the other side (to load the logs onto the mill using ramps) and the mill will be extended by about 6 feet to get it to the full 20 foot length (so I can mill stuff 16 1/2 feet long if needed).

The deck will be flat so I can also use it to haul stuff (ATV's, lumber etc) and I'll get some ATV ramps for the back of it to load them etc (maybe use the same ramps that I'll have for the logs).

Will be able to haul fuel, blades and tools on the trailer also and it will have stands to stabalize it when in use :)

So, if you have followed my thread and are within 50 miles (ok maybe further, just shoot me a line) and would like some lumber made out of your own trees let me know!  Even if you aren't sure one way or the other because it helps me know how much work I might actually get.

So far I have a super small job that I can do (won't earn much at all but might help get the word out) and another possibility so don't be shy!  Rates for countryplans members might even be better then normal ;)

Though I do have to eat! lol

OlJarhead

Looks like I need to head to the cabin to get the mill :)

Will have to make it a shorter trip, maybe 4 days, as my son has decided to join the service (Marines most likely) and wants to go to MEPS to do his testing etc sooner rather then later.

I could say all kinds of things about youth etc, but all I can really say is that I was there, at his age, and served both in the Corps (my Dad and Uncle did too) and later the Army and while at times it sucked, it was mostly a good, make that great experience for me.  I love the Corps too (can't you tell) so while I tried to give him advice about other options etc, in the end I'll support him and be proud of him no matter what!

Now, back to the progress on getting my mill portable (and hopefully earning a living at it so I can get back to cabin building!):  I may also now have our Tent Trailer sold too :)  I sure hope so!  Then I can really get cracking on having my mill put on a trailer and start advertising with it.

With luck I'll be working at least part time running the mill this winter or next spring at the latest.

And when I'm not working or doing that I'll get back to working on the interior of the cabin this winter :)

OlJarhead

Almost a month since my last post!  Sheesh!

Went to the cabin and picked up the mill (was an over nighter) but must admit it was awesome using the tractor to load the mill :D  So cool to be able to do that!

Here's a shot of the tractor with the mill head off loaded.

And another

So far the trailer has gone through a few designs and the latest is the simplest.  Basically we're building the trailer to fit directly under the mill bed frame with a slight overhang (1/2") for the mill clamps that help keep the head on the rails.  This means the trailer will only be about 36" wide except for the tires which will stick out wider but I hope to be able to walk around them (that's how the bigger mills are anyway).

I'll be ordering the bed extension to make the mill a full 21' long allowing me to mill logs of 18 feet (and a little longer -- like maybe 18' 4" overall).  I'll also be getting the LT15 anti-rollback loading ramps and will set the mill to be able to install a winch on the operator side so I can load logs by hand with no help.

With luck the mill and trailer will be ready to go by mid December then I'll have to take it in to get it approved by the state police (as a trailer) before finally being able to test it out.

I'm hoping to have it back in action in the new year.

Meanwhile, I plan to head back to the cabin soon to plow some snow (I think there's probably 5 or 6 inches up there now) which I hope to do monthly to keep the access better this winter -- after all, I hope to pull the mill back there in the early spring and get back to milling.

Erik

Redoverfarm

Eric the bucket is handier than " a pocket on a shirt".  Use mine constantly for everything. 

You might consider your design to allow you a little more width so that you can walk along side of the rail system(logs) while operating.  Looks like the total width of the mill head would allow you plenty of room for that on a 7-8' width trailer.

Tickhill

OJ, great to hear from you again. May you be blessed in your endeavor, be safe. Can't wait to hear more as you progress. Been missing your posts.
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

OlJarhead

Red, that was my original idea but after much reflection and study of manufactured mills on trailers I realized there was a reason they had the operator on the ground:  no or less bending over.

Basically you can reach right over at a convenient height and lift the board off after each pass.  Also, the cost of building the trailer the way Woodmizer does vs. my original plan (6 feet wide) is about half and with me out of work I think it's going to be better.

I've gone with KISS on this one and hope it's right!

Though, I'm putting a 3500lbs axle under it and tires to match so at least I'll be able to haul some wood on it too.

The plan ultimately is to hopefully do well enough to get a bigger model.

OlJarhead

And yes that bucket is handy! lol

Also used the boom on the back to move the mill head and I use it to skid logs etc too.

This month if I make it to the cabin I'll put the box blade back on and use it and the bucket to move snow :)

OlJarhead

Quote from: Tickhill on November 25, 2012, 08:48:19 AM
OJ, great to hear from you again. May you be blessed in your endeavor, be safe. Can't wait to hear more as you progress. Been missing your posts.

Thanks Tickhill :)  I appreciate that.

It's been a slow go of late for me.  I'm now on my 17th week without work (something I have a very hard time with honestly) and while we prepared well for it it's still tough and the primary reason you see little posting from me.  I spend a lot of time looking for work and trying to plan my business and then a lot of time doing stuff at home (playing house husband).

The rest of the time I try to stay entertained without using much electricity! lol so that means less time posting about cabin stuff...but I'm still here ;)

Redoverfarm

Quote from: OlJarhead on November 25, 2012, 10:38:45 AM
And yes that bucket is handy! lol

Also used the boom on the back to move the mill head and I use it to skid logs etc too.

This month if I make it to the cabin I'll put the box blade back on and use it and the bucket to move snow :)

Yes once you figure out what works with the tractor you can get inventive.  I made a carrier for the 3-point hitch which is worth it's weight in gold.  You can haul your chainsaw, gas, chains, buckets w/o carring them in your bucket and having to offload once you get to a site and need to use the bucket.

Also you will find that using the front bucket pushing snow has it's limitations.  You have to stop periodically and get the snow out of the road in front of you.  Unlike an angled blade that clears it to the side for continuious movement.  I solved that problem also but with a little more effort than someone that has a "quick connect" forks.  I made my mounts on the top of the bucket to accept a 7' truck snow blade.  I just roll the bucket pin the blade in place and utilize a chain lift by rolling my bucket back some or lifting the complete blade.  If you have a quick conect it would be much easier. 

These are just salvaged items.  You can pick up a used snow blade real cheap.  The carrier I modified from a Tractor and trailer under frame tarp rack.

OlJarhead

Cool!

So do you remove the bucket?  Of just put the blade on it?

I was thinking as I read your post that I bet I could get my neighbor to make something to mount a blade.  I have skid steer front end so it's easy to get the bucket off and on I'm told (haven't dont it) and maybe he could make an angle bracket for a blade...then I just need to pick up a plow blade in the summer (I bet they are cheaper then).

OlJarhead

http://kpr.craigslist.org/for/3405342452.html

Hmmm....for $350 I might have to just go buy this one!  Maybe I can get it down to $250-$275

Will fit right onto my front end and maybe I can get the neighbor to put an angle into it (probably just remove the skid steer frame and then block one side up a few inches and then weld it back on I imagine).

Sure would be nice to take it up to the cabin this winter and get plowing!  Might even get some neighbors to help pay for the fuel by plowing there places too ;)

Redoverfarm

Quote from: OlJarhead on November 25, 2012, 12:23:31 PM
Cool!

So do you remove the bucket?  Of just put the blade on it?

I was thinking as I read your post that I bet I could get my neighbor to make something to mount a blade.  I have skid steer front end so it's easy to get the bucket off and on I'm told (haven't dont it) and maybe he could make an angle bracket for a blade...then I just need to pick up a plow blade in the summer (I bet they are cheaper then).

Eric I just remove the blade & mounting frame from my bucket.  My bucket is not "quick disconnect" and I have to remove the pins to take off the bucket.   I just welded mounting brackets to accept 3/4" pins on the upper portion and back side of the bucket.  They do not get in the way when I am using the bucket in the summer.  For you I would say all you need is a frame to mount the blade to with something that will mate up to your quick disconnect fork frames similar to the mounting brackets of your bucket.  I have seen some farmers do this relatively easy. 

Most snow plows have a swivel on them so a standard mount will work. The angle is done on the blade and framework for the blade.  Some have even incorporated hydraulic cylinder to angle the blade rather than manuel like I have.  A little enginuity will go a long way.

Redoverfarm

Might work but I would be inclined for one that I can swivel to either side.  Come in handy when you need to switch direction or push staight occassionally.  You can find truck blades easily.  They are constantly upgrading for a bigger and better one and often just leave the old ones lying in the fields and around their garages.  I think I paid $150 for mine. 

OlJarhead

Thanks for the posts.  I'll have to keep and eye out -- again, probably best in the summer!  lol

Right now I'll use the bucket and save the money but I'll keep my eyes open.

One way or another though, I'm going to use the mill and the tractor to make a few bucks ;)

OlJarhead

Saying goodbye to the Evolution Tent Trailer today:

It's been an awesome tent trailer frankly but the economy and the fact that we have a cabin has dictated that we let it go and bank the cash.

So, while we'll miss this awesome trailer we'll be glad to have the cash for it.

JavaMan

Well, personally, I think you're sitting pretty ... what with a pickup, a tractor and a mill  ;D

I've put the mill I want on my Amazon Wish List ... but I seriously doubt that I'll get it for Christmas!  I have GOT to get the deck finished so I can start putting cash aside for it.   d*

Hope you and yours had a GREAT Thanksgiving!

OlJarhead

Thanks Java :)  We do love having the things we have and use them enough to justify them too ;)  The trailer, while we really liked it, wasn't being used so needed to go to help with surviving this horrible economy!  Seems Telecom Geeks like me are having a hard go these days.  Heck, I'm interviewing for a job doing cabling and fire alarm systems with a little PBX work on the side perhaps -- that's like having a serious programmer do IT support for High School students! lol  Ahhh well, have to earn a buck one way or another.

Which mill is that by the way?  Linkage?

Thanksgiving was great!  For us it involves more then just a meal!  We smoke and roast turkey's (2) and smoke a ham and then can what we don't eat as leftovers and boil the carcasses and can the broth and meats from those too....then we can have Turkey soup or casserole several months later :)  We also try to have as many family members around as we can :)  It's a big day though I was disappointed to learn that the November Thanksgiving is a creation of FDR's in order to spur people on to shopping -- spend money to help the economy.

Guess that idea isn't a new one but the original US Thanksgiving was celebrated in early October like much of the rest of the world it seems.  Consider that I'm somewhat of a traditionalist -- meaning I think the real reason we celebrate is more important then the modern reason perhaps -- and it's no wonder that I feel a little cheated when I learned of the real reason for modern Thanksgiving:  To get YOU to spend more money.

So sad.  But I digress!

I'm still moving forward with the mill operation and planning some cards soon ;)  Maybe a website.  Also the couple who bought the trailer have parents with 160 acres near Republic who might like to get some logs milled into lumber :)  I sure hope so!

At this point, however, I'm just waiting for the parts to all come in so the neighbor can begin construction the trailer -- then with luck I can have it on the road by New Years for our traditional weekend at the cabin :)  Or at least or somewhat traditional (we started camping that weekend several years ago and had a great time so try to do it every year now).

Cheers
Erik

JavaMan

Well, Beautiful found a great soup recipe for Turkey Dinner.  So good in fact, that I've suggested that she make an entire dinner sometime just to have the soup!

It's really strange- you simply take the carcass, make stock, put 1 bunch of it (20 cups or so?) back in the pot and dump in ALL the left overs - green bean casserole, yams, mashed potatoes, stuffing/dressing, some of the meat - especially what cooked off the carcass - whatever you have left goes into the soup (well, ok, not the cranberries)

It's awesome!  Of course, she makes a sausage dressing/stuffing that is very tasty.  And creamed onions and brussel sprouts!  (I hate brussel sprouts, but they are good in this soup) ... my brother says, "Saying you have fresh brussel sprouts and therefore they taste better is like saying the liver tastes better because it's fresher..." d*

She freezes the rest of the stock in ice cube trays for use later (like you guys)

As for the "real reason" for November Thanksgiving ... well, it doesn't work with me... I don't really start spending money for Christmas until about Dec 23rd... ;D

I have to check my Powerball ticket... I think I might have won ::)  Then I'll buy a bunch of acreage someplace :)  Complete with woods...

I was thinking of this mill: (http://www.lumbersmith.com/) mainly because it's A) less expensive, 2) very portable, and iii) because I can build the "rails" as long as I'd like them to be.  And I see it's on sale right now for about $500 less than it was before!  [cool]  Guess it's time to start putting the cash aside!

OlJarhead

Interesting mill -- kind of a cross between a Woodmizer and a chainsaw mill.....

Though my experience has taught me I'd rather have the woodmizer since that little mill doesn't look to produce straight lumber like a steel bed bandsaw mill will -- and I can add to length of mine also (going to get the 7 foot extension for the trailer.

But if I couldn't afford the WM I'd certainly, like you, consider this little machine as it may be a great way to start out.

Soup?  Interesting ;)  Might have to taste it sometime -- as for us, we can the broth (pressure) rather then freeze but I've heard of others doing the freezing that way too.

Now I'm dreaming about my mill again! lol

JavaMan

Yeah, that's probably the biggest reason I'm considering that mill... "affordability"

I've looked at the WM mills - would love one, but just can't put together that much cash at one time  :(  (I have teenagers, y'know  ;) )

Like you said, tho, a good way to get my feet wet and build from there.

As for canning the stock ... well, up until recently we've only had a waterbath canner ... then I spent the $$ to get a pressure canner and once this part of the deck is finished (this weekend, I hope) I'll do some canning.  I made some pickles last year in the water bath, which was great, but I want to put up a bunch of other stuff.  A friend of ours gave us 5 pounds of thin-sliced beef and we make jerky... pretty good, but I think it was too thin.

Beautiful said something the other day that had my ears perk up... "I think I could get into snowmobiling..."   I about fell off my chair.  Why she didn't say that in the spring this year I don't know, but now I know I have to look for a couple of descent machines and a flat trailer (I've been wanting a flat trailer anyway).  That would certainly get me up to the property in the winter!    ;D

Wish mine was done as much as yours so we could do New Years Eve up there... All the stars would be AWEsome

OlJarhead

The only advice I'd give on the little mill is to not set your expectations too high. 

The problem we have, you and I and others like us who do most of our cabin work on weekends, is that we need more production and less cost.  So, a CSM or that mill, while great if you live where using them just can't produce in short runs when you need to mill up 1000 board feet of 1x's so they can dry and be ready for processing in a couple months.

That's one reason why I love the WM -- I've done more then 700bf in 5 hours of milling with half of the time spent on quarter sawing (which takes longer) though the figure is based on 1" boards rather then 5/8" (industry standard is apparently to count no less then 1" so if you were paying someone 40 cents a bard foot then the 5 hours would have cost $280 or $56/hr). 

My point being that it would take a long time with a CSM or that little mill to produce that much pine much less the 3500-5000 board feet I needed just for interior paneling and pine usually runs something like $2.70/bf if buying 1x4 at HD....Hard to compare 40 cents to $2.70/bf and hard to compete with portable mills like he WoodMizers when it comes to production rates for small operations.

Might be something to consider though I'd say still buy a mill, just bear in mind that it might not produce enough quickly enough so you may buy more wood product then you'd hoped in the end.

For me, I've not bought much in the way of wood (if any) since I bought the mill but we also produced a lot of lumber with it.  Once it's on the trailer though, I'll produce a LOT more! ;)

After all, I'll be able to set it up by the logs instead of having to always skid them to the mill.

JavaMan

Well, I really don't have much in the way of expectations at all - other than to churn out some lumber.  But even using the numbers you did in your post above, if it took twice as long, it's still almost a $30/hour rate - or even if it costs me double the $0.40/bf you used, I'm still $1.90 or so in savings over buying it at HD ($2.70/bf)... heck, it could even be 3 or 4 times the 40 cents/bf and I'd still make out like a bandit... so lessee...

$1900 (not including shipping) divided by 1.90/bf = 1000 bf and it's paid for  [cool]  Of course that doesn't account for shipping and some other expenses, but even a half that savings it's 2000 bf and it's paid for.  Can't argue with that too much  ;D

I need roughly 10' X 12' X 4 worth of siding ... so that's 480 sq ft.  I'm thinking board & batten for siding, which would actually be more than that - call it 600 sq feet

Hmmm ... I'm going to need to find a bf calculator... [crz]  But that should put me on the way to paying for it fairly well - provided I can produce consistent pieces.

We've got a couple of 100' pines in the yard at home that Beautiful wants taken down (before they fall on the house or something), that I'm sure I could turn about half of it into a lot of lumber and the rest into firewood.  So there's the practice trees! (I just have to convince her to have some logs laying around until the mill would get here! [waiting])

MountainDon

What are the fuel and oil costs? Blades for when one breaks?  Just curious how that is being factored in.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Java don't cut the trees and leave them lay unless you want Blue Stain -- then let them lay for a long time ;)  Otherwise, wait until you have the mill and then drop them and mill them right away.

MD:  Blades run about $300 for 15 (roughly) and last a long time but need to be resharpened after about 200-400bf of use.  Resharp cost is $7/blade.

Fuel isn't something I've worked out yet because I just didn't use that much.  I might have used 2-3 gallons producing 700bf.

As for BF costs that really depends on many factors.  For example, I'll be charging $50/hr if I can get work and that translates to anything from $1/bf to as low as 30 cents a bf depending on log size, help loading and off loading and a few other variables (weather etc).  I might even be able to produce 200bf per hour if I have the right logs and assistance etc..

Most bigger portable millers charge between 0.30/bf to 0.50/bf depending on a number of factors but also produce a lot more in a shorter period (300-500bf/hr or more).