B-Day Present from DW

Started by Windpower, June 28, 2009, 05:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

SWEET !!!

MS 192 TC

under 8 pounds with bar and chain, oil and gas

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

ScottA

Looks like a nice pocket saw.

BTW Happy B-Day.

Phssthpok

DAWWwwwwww!

Issa CUTE wittow chainsaw, isn't it......  :D

[chainsaw]

Redoverfarm

Would make a nice trim saw being that light.

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Windpower

My other Stihl is a 029

a little over twice the Hp,  a solid saw (now 16 years old and running strong)

but this little bugger kicks butt

it is light enough to 'one hand it' and it zips pretty good even though it is 'stihl' riched up for break in

I think this is going to be a favorite

I was looking for a heavy weight like the MS 460

but this little bugger caught my eye and just seemed to be really practical for 97% of what I need

T (my DW) even tried it and pronounced it 'cute'

I first ran a chain saw about  50 years ago -- a Homelite XL2 IIRC -- it was all I could handle at 17 pounds and maybe 1 Hp  -- caught my Dad smiling watching me use it

This little Stihl is orders of magitude above that XL2 in performance

*wub*

I wondered if the MS 200 would be better (yeah probably with a half horsepower more) but it also cost twice the $319 for the 192 plus a pound more weight)

It is really nice in this age when you are more than pleased by a product -- so far so good

glenn kangiser

Looks like a great little saw.  I have an .026 baby  Stihl, an .044 Bigger one and .046 Bigger one as well as a mid sized Husky.  I also have a Stihl electric which is pretty good where there is power.

I like the .026 for lots of stuff but the .044 is a screamer with a 15 degree sharpened chisel tooth chain.  Quite a bit heavier though.

One of my saws in High School for wood cutting - about 1967 was a recycled timber fallers Homelite.  7.5 horsepower with a 36" bar.  I could cut - split and load a cord of alder in under 2 hours.  My uncle gave me decks of logs that had been sitting too long so were checking - I just cut down through the deck the full 3 feet, tossed them out and stood them on end with the crack in line with my direction of swing - one hit with a 4 lb single bit axe was all it took to split them.   Weight - I dunno -- heavy.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Happy Birthday Glenn... now, you oughtta go have some ice cream.

glenn kangiser

Let's not rush it, Homey.  I still have a couple hours and just finished a bowl and a half, and a cone of chocolate chip mint. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Windpower

Glenn

Was that Homelite a 7-26G (7 HP 26 pounds, Gear drive in Homelite jargon) of course that was 26 pounds with no bar or chain or gas or oil    ;D

My Dad  had one of those IIRC with a 27 inch bar

heavy son of a gun but was almost unstoppable -- very loud too -- he was really starting to lose his hearing towards the end

it was way too heavy for my 118 pounds (soaking wet with watch and glasses LOL) to handle

maybe that's why I like this little bugger so much

glenn kangiser

I tried to look up the Model online but couldn't find it.  I am sure it was a direct drive as previous to it I had been using gear drives and recall them as running much slower.  It was the red more modern boxy design as opposed to the older blue gear drive my dad had.

I got it from a saw shop in Lincoln City, Oregon and they supplied loggers mainly.

Windpower

Dad used one of these for years

There's a video here of it -- boy, do I remember that sound !

http://www.bigdmc.com/7-29.html

glenn kangiser

I believe that was the earlier gear drive we had also but ours was a kind of light metallic blue.  I thought it was an original color but possibly not.

Windpower

His first chainsaw was a 5-20 like this one but with a reqular bar 23" IIRC

he was real big on gear drives

Windpower

I remember those blue one too