Parent's Get-Away

Started by Pala, August 27, 2006, 02:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peg_688

Oh you did it  >:( Never tell ANYONE in the const. field theres no hurry / plenty of time  ::) ::) ;D ;D

hobbiest

especially if you are paying by the hour

peg_688

I was more referring to getting them to SHOW UP ;D

hobbiest

kinda depends on whether or not you've paid anything in advance.  Also helps if they are not crack heads.  The ones that I hate the most are, "dude, slow down, we're getting paid by the hour," and "can't see it from my house"

peg_688

Kick those guy right off the job >:( And never pay "day help " in advance  ;)

Most liget subs wouldn't want a general to pay in advance althought they would want a down payment , at least , from a one time client / owner / builder. Which is fair as far as I'm concerned, a one time owner / builder is as likely to screw over the liget contractor / sub as vice versa.  

One of my many sayings , is "Perfect is close enought!"  ;D

Pala

It's a single bid for the whole job.  I paid half once all the rock was hung.  

It's actually all working out just fine.

Parents arrive for an inspection in 3 days.

chuck.

TBA

Chuck,

What will you be using for interior jamb extensions in your windows? Your craftsmanship on your parents get away is inspiring.

Thanks.

Pala

QuoteChuck,

What will you be using for interior jamb extensions in your windows? Your craftsmanship on your parents get away is inspiring.

Thanks.

I've just ordered up a butt-load of hemlock 1"x and 5/4"x square trim.  The jamb extensions for the window will be ripped out of 1x8" or possibly 1x6".  

Door and window header trim will be 5/4"x6" ripped to 4~1/2".  Side trim is 1"x4".  Plinth blocks where door side trim meets baseboards will be 5/4"x6" (prolly ripped down a bit.)

Price difference at my lumber yard between finger-jointed pine and hemlock was not that much different.  So we went with Hemlock to keep the monkeys happy.  MDF is below standard for this project.

I see that links to a bunch of my photos are broken.  I will try to fix that asap
c

TBA

Thanks Chuck,

I'm eager to see them trimmed out!

Pala

Front Porch.

I've been installing outlets and light switches, etc.  Cabinets are scheduled to come in 10 days.

peg_688

Looks nice Chuck . 8-)

Couple of comments , the railings should not pass inspection as they need to be "grippable" see page 20 of the code check field guide. Maybe your planning on a added grippable rail that you can loose ;)later.

Those top caps are gonna cup and crack , I hate to say it but Trex or some other composite will hold up better than Pre primed Spruce, you could try short "hidden " kerfs , or use a router and waste away the inside of the cap some that MIGHT help . The one on the left already is cupping :(

Jeesh as hot as it is today and what predicted for tomorrow  :o :o we all might split / melt :o ;D

Pala

Yep, we'll add a grippable rail as well.

Thanx for the suggestions re: the trim weathering.

Hot, yes.  I'm outside on the patio now with my laptop.  The inside is unbearable.  ;-P

Pala

Lots more photos:

http://www.kinnik.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=g_st_finish

I'd say 3 weeks until final inspection.  Maybe sooner.

peg_688

Chuck you should do a little how to on this type jig while you have that stage of the project going .

Pala

Purdy straight forward.  A straight edge and two slotted "wings", made up from pieces of the snap-loc flooring.  You set the overall width and edge angles by adjusting the "wings".  The "leading edge" is a straight edge so you can judge if the riser behind the tread is bowed and needs scribing.  Then transfer the jig to the made-up treads and mark and scribe as necessary.  They fit nice and tight and are glued in place only.  

Sassy

Was looking through your pix yesterday & showing my mother-in-law.  She thought you'd done a really nice job - can't wait to see it when you are completely done-take lots of pix so we can see the kitchen, bathrooms, closets, etc - and the detail work  :)  thanks!

Pala

Fool-ly functional kitchen.

Pala

Haze-y closet and radiant plumbing.

Pala

glenn-k

TBA

Love your finish work on the door casing - baseboard, the window trim outs are looking great too! Can't wait to see more!

Thanks for showing!!!

Pala

QuoteLove your finish work on the door casing - baseboard, the window trim outs are looking great too! Can't wait to see more!

Thanks for showing!!!

Caulk is your friend.  Thanx for the kind words.

chuck

TBA

"The Great Flood"? What happened?

Pala

Quote"The Great Flood"? What happened?
Had part of the manifold for the radiant heat snap off in the night while no one was there.  I arrived in the morning to a cascade at the front porch and 4 inches of standing water inside.  The snap together floor was now a "floating" floor, literally.  

We had to rip out the floor and pad and junk it all.  Water had seeped into the particle board middle.  It could have been worse.  Cabinets are fine and at least it wasn't upstairs.  The dry wall survived with no damage and things sitting in the water, like a door blank, were not really damaged.  The pipe must have burst only an hour or so before I arrived.

Sucks, but we're movin' on.

chuck.

peg_688

AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH >:(

Water in the pipes , no problem , water NOT in pipes , BIG problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Is TBA a mind reader? How do you speel "syc-kick)  :-/  ;D  So sad , my spellin  :(