Don't forget the 22's

Started by peternap, February 02, 2009, 12:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Quote from: Windpower on February 04, 2009, 07:20:44 AM
I have been lusting after a 3 1/2 inch 12 Ga for turkey season

I have read mixed reviews about the Remington auto ....

anybody have any input on this one

I don't own a Remington Auto Windpower...but I repaired a bizillion of them over the years. The biggest problem with them is the magazine cutoff. It's just staked in place and with the pounding an auto gives, they come loose and dump all the shells in your lap. This usually happens when you are on the hunt of a lifetime.

I have several pumps in 3.5 inch and for some game (like turkeys), they are great. They are also hard on my shoulder and I'm not at all recoil sensitive.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Windpower

I agree with you on the recoil... a bit more abrupt than the 700 remington in 300 WBY I shoot (it has shot sub 1 inch groups at 200 yards when I do my part) The accuracy improved after I installed a black composite stock replacing the beautiful walnut stock that was shattered into 3 pieces by a pissed off pack horse in Alaska (it could have been worse, his hoof nearly got my knee)

anyway..

I was hoping the auto loader would smooth some of the recoil out a bit 

but what I am hearing that they just aren't that reliable and with my luck on turkeys.....

and moose hunts and pack horses and ....  well you get the idea

maybe go for a pump, I truly like my 870, we fit together pretty good
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Squirl

I have never had a dud shell yet. 

On the turkey gun.  Field and Stream had a great review this month on the Federal flight control wad ammunition.  They said that it patterns so well, that you could hunt turkey with a 20 gauge no choke, and I trust Field and Stream.   I checked into it, and it seams that a lot of boards on the internet are lighting up with rave reviews.  You should look into it.  It is expensive, but cheaper than a new gun.

NM_Shooter

Wow... google federal flight control.  A few folks have had "no better than other loads" results, but most are glowing about the loads.

BTW... decent ammo inventory at Big 5 sporting goods.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Windpower

I am still pissed about the dud Federal "premium turkey load"

4 days hunting dawn to noon ( did I mention the ticks)  and it was the only turkey I even saw !!!

easily the biggest tom I ever had a shot at too

well it was 8 years ago maybe I should give em a break

Nah I don't think so

Federal SUCKS ! ! ! !

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

NM_Shooter

Hmmm... time to buy Olin Corporation stock?  OLN

-f-

peternap

Quote from: NM_Shooter on February 04, 2009, 08:06:23 PM
Hmmm... time to buy Olin Corporation stock?  OLN

-f-

It's just like everything else....52 week high/low 30.XX yo 12.XX

It's just idling now.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

So I'm way guilty of thread drift / hijacking in this one.  Back to .22s. 

I saw bulk boxes of Winchester .22hp LR for $19.50 or so today.  I have not bought any .22 ammo other than target ammo in a long time.  What is a decent price for bulk .22?  I remember when it was $9 for 500... but that was a bit ago.

-f-

MountainDon

LRN?     Good price for today.  :( 

Big5?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Wal-mart is going up -- a few weeks ago it was about $14.50 for 550 .22 LR Federal I think.  Had been around 12.50
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Just a head's up. Davidson's has a February special on a Ruger 10/22, synthetic stock, stainless steel    $230 at my local gun shop.

Look it up at Gallery of Guns, select Ruger | 10/22 |  and enter your zip code and search
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

harry51

Might be a bit late in the discussion at this point, but if I was looking for a semiauto shotgun, I'd look at the Benelli inertia models. Don't know if they chamber them in 3 1/2".
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

glenn kangiser

Sonora,CA Wal-Mart - out of bullets per Whitlock. 
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I have a new one of those stainless steel / synthetic 10/22's coming.   :)

Working on what scope I want...  ??? ???

MountainDon

The stainless Ruger came in at last.  ;D  Now just waiting on the scope, mount, and a few odds 'n' ends.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on February 16, 2009, 09:29:19 PM
The stainless Ruger came in at last.  ;D  Now just waiting on the scope, mount, and a few odds 'n' ends.

What scope did you decide on Don?

MountainDon

I decided on the Nikon Prostaff 4X32 in matte finish, plus a Weigand one piece scope base that fits the Ruger screw pattern. I also ordered a Volquartsen extended magazine release and some spare Ruger brand magazines. And a grand assortment of ammo; we'll see what this one likes best.

and the gun (matte stainless)...

peternap

I have that scope on a rifle and It's a good one. Good choice!