New VP

Started by glenn kangiser, June 14, 2008, 08:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Dog

Just wanted to mention something about Todd and Sarah's kids.  Someone(not from Alaska) brought up that he couldn't get behind anyone who would put "hippie" names on their kids.  Well, ignorance truly is bliss.  Here's the rundown: 

Trig is a Scandinavian name that is special to Todd's family.  He is Scandinavian.

Track is in honor of Sarah's father who was a track coach.

Willow is named after the town Willow,AK, or the Diamond Willow that grows here(don't have info on that). 

Piper would be named after a Piper aircraft, whether it is a Cub or Supercub(the Palin's fly, as do many of us here).

Finally, Bristol would be named after Bristol Bay, AK(Although I've heard a rumor that has to do with Bristol, CT and ESPN, but I doubt it).

All have something to do with Alaska or the Palin family.
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

StinkerBell

I have always liked the name Denali.

Mad Dog

Quote from: StinkerBell on September 02, 2008, 09:06:06 PM
I have always liked the name Denali.

Me too. [cool]  Got some good shots of the summit a couple weeks ago when my parents and nephew were here. 
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

lonelytree

Wow - A guy disappears for a week at the lake and misses all the news. Note to self - Get satellite radio.

I voted for Sarah once and most likely will again.

I even bought a pizza from her sister in "Wasilly" last week.

Mike

glenn kangiser

Now that really is cool, Mike.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Remember that no matter how good looking she is, somewhere some guy is tired of her crap.

I've had enough of more of the same.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080903/D92VHQP05.html

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

The speech sounded good. And I hope that some of what was contained in that speech can be transfered to the Washington heirarchy and some changes can really be made. I was a about ready to abandon any McCain support and said so in the letter I sent back without a contribution. I wonder how long it takes to contaminate a newcomer and if she has had her vaccinations. It was neat to see Gulianai beaming from ear to ear while she was speaking. He kind of set the tone for the dem bashing and she joined right in. I think Huckabee actually took a few shots before that. The showmanship was there and we can only hope it wasn't just smoke and mirrors. I am always suspicious of that. They probably all had the same speech writer.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

Welcome to the White House. 

Will all politicians please check their brains in at the front desk. 

They will be held in the White House Safe and may be returned to you when leaving office....subject to inspection and approval by the DHS and Mossad.

muldoon

The speech didnt do much for me.   McCain's campaign staffer has already said this election will not be about the issues but about "character" and "story". Palin's purpose is to serve as a distraction for the Dems, the press and the voters. As long as people are looking her way, they are ignoring the issues.  (To some extent it certainly is working, her name is everywhere).  The speech was emotion and cheerleading, lots of talk about how they were going to change things and show those political elitist that they are for the people.  McCain has been in congress for something like 3 decades, HE is going to show them now?  What?  And then they have the nerve to talk about not wanting to saddle tax payers with un-necessary new debt, two nights ago it was no bailouts?  Where was McCain, Hillary, or Obama back on the Fanny/Freddy bailout bill that promised 800 billion in treasuries barely a month ago.  All of them, not present to vote.  More of the same is right. 

desdawg

McCains speech was pretty powerful. When he admitted failure in that his job was to change government and instead government had changed him. If he truely realizes that and is willing to do differently that is a major step. Hopefully Palin's record will provide inspiration in that direction. If all I hear is to be believed we could be on to something. The situation seemed pretty hopeless like the machine couldn't reverse direction or be altered in any way. Providing hope that it can is either the greatest sales pitch of our time or if it can become reality the greatest political feat of all time. I don't know about anyone else but I need something like that to believe in. Reagon worked his magic in California but couldn't pull it off in Washington. Palin pulled it off in Alaska, selling the executive airplane on e-bay had to be quite a coup.
The established power in Washington is quite a different matter to overcome. But I for one need some hope for a healthy change. The democrats talk change but not healthy change. So I guess I will flip flop back to my Republican way of thinking if I have to choose one of those two parties.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

MountainDon

As I stated back when all the other Republican candidates bowed out, I saw McCain as being vastly preferable to Obama, not perfect but preferable. He talked a good speech IMO. He will have my vote.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

desdawg

The first step in recovery is admitting mistakes IMO. So that alone gives me some hope.

muldoon

I agree it was a very powerful speech.  I watched the football game tonight, the was surprised to see live coverage start for the convention and then his speech.  Watched all of it, I was very moved.  I realize it's just words from a politician and I should pay more attention to what they do and not what they say.. but that speech was good.  My heart swelled with pride at some of his story, and I certainly felt like cheering him on at the end of it.   I know better than to swallow a speech like that, it was just so powerful to see someone explain loving this country in a way that is real to me. 

While I still have some big doubts; and not just about intent to change but about how feasible a change actually is; he is firmly in the better than Obama camp for me tonight. 

desdawg

I agree. I think we have been exposed to so many smoke and mirror tactics that if a genuine person really speaks from the heart I wouldn't recognize or trust it without some actions to back it up. Palin seems to have a track record that includes some of those actions.The words flow too easily in an effort to make the sale. But if there is some admission of wrongdoing that may be a beginning. Along with a willingness to break with the party if necessary. That may have been the biggest selling point right there. Announcing that in a national party convention is quite a step. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

glenn kangiser

I don't believe them.. their lips are moving.

Sassy

Well, we're back to marketing - I've posted this before, but worth watching if you haven't already... 
The Century of Self by Bernaise - the father of modern marketing
http://www.freedocumentaries.org/film.php?id=140
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

desdawg

Quote from: glenn kangiser on September 05, 2008, 09:51:55 AM
I don't believe them.. their lips are moving.
My initial reaction to most politicians. It isn't like we haven't seen smoke and mirrors from McCain before. We have for all of his patriotism. Party pressure, Good old boy pressure in Washington. It all sounds good, much better than the Democrats alternative even if it is only partially effective. Promising and delivering are two different things. Sarah would be a better bet. But as VP there isn't much she can do except lend credibility by association. It's not an easy call. I didn't watch the entire flick Sassy but there is definitely some sales phsychology in play here. Hope is the loss leader, on both sides. Everyone knows Washington is broken. That is why the line grows fuzzy. These conventions are quite a display. I watched most of both. I believe the answer has been touched on but can it or will it be implemented successfully.

Sassy

I have some hope once again, with Sarah Palin, in spite of the negative press & skeletons in the closet (who doesn't have a few?)  One thing that worries me is she agrees with the party line of the neo-cons...  now we're faced with Georgia & Russia...  we are a roaring lion with no teeth, but Bush/Cheney et al continue to roar their threats but everyone else knows all we can do is gum them to death...  we've bankrupted ourselves with war, weather manipulation & deceptive banking/investment processes - it didn't all start with Bush, a lot of the stuff started during Billy boy's reign...  but the fact is, we can't continue the status quo because there isn't one anymore... 

ScottA

I watched McCain last night and couldn't help but notice his promises where the same ones that Bush used when he ran in 2000 and that papa Bush used back when he ran. No new taxes, strong defense, bla, bla, bla. Same old lies different guy.

Sassy

That's what I'm afraid of...  didn't watch any of the conventions but have read enough about them & also rememger what has been promised in the past...  it's really sad....

StinkerBell

He said something like he will try not to raise taxes.
I am going to go look it up.

StinkerBell

FOund it, but I see in the next paragraph what you are saying.

QuoteI will keep taxes low and cut them where I can. My opponent will raise them. I will open new markets to our goods and services. My opponent will close them. I will cut government spending. He will increase it.

My tax cuts will create jobs. His tax increases will eliminate them. My health care plan will make it easier for more Americans to find and keep good health care insurance. His plan will force small businesses to cut jobs, reduce wages, and force families into a government-run health care system where a bureaucrat stands between you and your doctor.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=94302894

desdawg

It all sounds pretty idyllic. Problem is like Glenn said his lips were moving when he said it. Smoke and mirrors.

lonelytree

It seems that I have 4 choices: 1-Obama,2-McCain, 3-third party or 4-not to vote at all....

4 - Not an option, my voice will be heard even if I have to pick the lesser of 2 evils.

3 - See 4

2 - At least I have a few things in common. I don't like the thought of losing a war. I have somewhat conservative values. I hate working and giving my earnings to Uncle Sam. I believe in personal responsibility.

1 - I have nothing in common with Obama. Just checked again... still nope.

I voted for Sarah once and was not disappointed.

glenn kangiser

In reality there is not a war to lose.  It is a concept for unending war and war profiteering by big business and big oil.  There is no winning or losing because there is no goal.  Just unending destruction and replacement of war machines and massive profits for the oil companies from rising oil prices. 

They don't even have to increase production to increase profits.  The transfer of wealth from the poor and middle class to the elite.  The transfer of middle class and poor children's lives to death.  The transfer of innocent blood of our children and foreigners to the bar tab of the elite.  I hope they don't forget to pay.