Cabin Build in N-Central WA by 1 person

Started by Woodswalker, March 20, 2007, 10:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Ahh -- nice -- a one lunger with a chrome stack.  Will that stack run out through the top -- looks like you may get exhaust fumes there. :)

Nice job, Steve

Woodswalker

Glenn,

Not chrome, just a bit of aluminum drier vent pipe.  For sure, it runs thru the roof and has a rain cap.  Key to a "civilized" privy is to build it tight, install vents in each side of the seat area, and run an "exhaust" stack up thru roof.  Another tip is to take the cutout from the hole and attach it to a hinged plywood cover so that when the cover is closed, the cutout fits right back from whence it came to seal well.  Fumes then go where they belong - out the top.  Locals who have seen it say it's the best on the hill!

By the way Glenn, I was pretty coy when you asked about permits.  After cruising thru the site, and seeing your cool sign, I now know where you stand on the issues of permits and inspectors.  I actually started construction without a permit, and worked for 4 months before getting caught.  They sent a letter requiring me to apply and to stop all work.  Since I was in a race to get the roof on before fall rains, I went back over and continued working.  Did send in a permit application.  An inspector rolled up the drive one day, unannounced, for a look and a chat.  Since I'm a deer hunter who always has a piece handy, he was taking a chance doing that.  He was actually a decent chap.  Said the county's one inspector had been off work for weeks due to a back injury.  This guy was with the town (county seat), and just filling in.  After having a look at my progress, he just wondered if the 2 x 4 walls would meet insulation requirements.  Then he announced the way to handle the situation was to call the structure a "recreational outbuilding."  Think he was probably over his head with backlog and didn't want a new hassle.  I worked for years with land use controls in my career in MN, and know all about the legalities of permits, sewage systems, etc.  Don't take any BS from any inspectors behaving like storm troopers, and have the bucks to fight in court, if necessary.  Personally know of several other places around being built without permits, and one currently under construction.  I told the guy that worked for me, so now I'm legal.

That's quite a place you've built - nice.  Ever have any hobbits stop by?

Steve

glenn-k

I feel permits apply when I hire out to someone but not on my private property on work for myself.  I feel if I want a cardboard box over my head on my property that it is my right to do that.

If I was destroying my neighbors property with illegal objects flying off of my property and damaging theirs, or making an unsightly mess in a public view I would come a little  closer to agreeing with them.

Looks like a well designed outhouse.  Our original one up here was just a nice open air seat looking out over the valley below.  Stayed that way until the day I had just mooned Sassy and the delivery guy walked up with a set of plans for one of my jobs.

The sign and the information I studied regarding it recently came in handy.  Our renter had been target practicing and a psycho alcoholic lady called in and said the bullets were going by her place about 1/2 mile away on the other side of the mountain. Not true as they were shooting into a target at the ground.  

A Sheriff showed up and told them it was illegal to shoot in this county and if it happened again he would confiscate their guns.

I called in - told them of the laws they were in violation of - shooting is legal here - they showed up on private property without a warrant lying about the law which is perjury.  I didn't push the day use fee.  I also mentioned that I ate breakfast with the head Sheriff once in a while and he knew who I was.

Officer on duty said he would look into it.  Called back and said he checked their logs and checked with my renter and it never happened -- not even -- absolutely not.   Hope he didn't wear out his eraser cleaning up the logs.

Only other option would be that the Sheriff who showed up at the renters was a bar buddy of the alcoholic lady, did it off duty in uniform as a favor and didn't report it to his superiors.

Haven't seen too many hobbit's although many people call it a hobbit house.   I know of a couple of troglodytes there though.

crose

Hey Steve,
I remembered the name of that beer from eastern Wisconsin that's so tasty:
Leinenkugel's Red.

The outhouse looks cozy.  Good reading place ;)

Chris

borgdog

QuoteHey Steve,
I remembered the name of that beer from eastern Wisconsin that's so tasty:
Leinenkugel's Red.

Now being originally from MN, I have sampled the Leiney's and it is tasty, but being a NorWester now I must say I prefer the Cinder Cone Red from Deschutes Brewery in Bend, OR, in fact any beer they make it good by me, I have actually planned two vacations to go through Bend to stop at the brew pub (excellent food as well).

But I digress.  nice little cabin, pretty country up there.

MountainDon

One of my favorite brews is "MountainDon's Home Brew".   :)  Alas at times it has been the worst.   :'(  Since I started using stainless steel soda syrup tanks (Cornelius Kegs) consistency has improved.

I like the privy and have made note of your tip to retain the cutout for use as a plug. Thank you   :)

glenn-k

...also swish a whisk broom under the seat before you sit down -- chases the widows away. :)

MountainDon

A very good point, Glenn. From Wikipedia... "Nearly ninety percent of the black widow bites reported in the medical literature of the first 4 decades of [the twentieth] century were inflicted on the male genitalia by spiders lurking underneath the seats of outdoor toilets."  (My emphasis added).  :o

glenn-k

Exactly what I was talking about put in a highly educated manner.  They are just looking for lunch, and if the jangles are the first thing to drop into the web --- well---- dinner is served. :-/   Ouch. :'(

Woodswalker

Ah yes, Leine's.  Tipped a few of those babies in my MN days.  Think the main brewery is still in Chippewa Falls, WI.  Now prefer various concoctions from the Fish Tail Ale Brewery, a small local operation in Oly.

As for spiders, I did mention it's important to build that privy tight.  Personally, I'm more concerned about rattlers.  Only widows I get uneasy about are on the internet dating site.

You guys crack me up.

After I get my taxes done sometime in the next couple of weeks, will be heading over to the cabin for first time this year to see how it survived the winter.  Incorporated sheets of stiff, foil-faced insulation into the floor system, and will use the plastic bubble, foil-faced stuff in the roof.  Figure I'll attach 1 x 2's to the top sides of the rafters, then staple foil bubbles to that, leaving 1.5" open above for venting in each cavity.  Ridge vents are already in.  Will then use 6" fiberglass batts below the bubble stuff.  Any thoughts or comments on that approach?  Already use a couple big pieces of the bubble foil, attached with bungies, on the side of the travel trailer to keep it from becoming an oven in the afternoon.

glenn-k

Sounds like it would work good to me. :)

I don't know if I'd want to get bit by an internet dating widow. :-/

crose

Ya ya, some good brew in OR, and Im sure WA too.  I spent some time in Corvallis a few  years ago and had the pleasure of swilling some Grants Scottish Ale.  I micro brew I believe from the PNW somewhere.  Anyway, it was delicious.  The brewer labeled the bottle something to this effect: "dont ask me to change the recipe..because Im not going to."  Now...ya gotta love that guy :D

I have no experience with bubble insulation.  But if the bubbles are filled with oxygen, will the R-value not change as the oxygen gas in the bubbles changes volume between cold and hot seasons?  I'd be interested to see what a piece of that does in the freezer over night.  Perhaps even in an unlight oven with a pilot light going.

What an interesting tid-bit about the first four decades of the 20th century and the black widow.  Good gracious :o

Still planning the WI cabin for a fall build,
Chris

glenn-k

NorthernMich

Nice projects Woodwalker!

My neighbors had a hole dug when the excavator came and added a privy, can be seen from the road too.  No hassles that I know of.  I thought of the electric composting jobs but they are expensive and tie you into the grid.

The pics you have of the outhouse...like to know more...like when you add the door  :D

I'd make it tight enough to keep out bees too.  Looks as simple as the 4x8 blind I made or the chicken coop.  

I have a thread on the design build section...the polebarn you see there makes a nice place to build small projects.  Due to my rocks, the hole for an outhouse will probably be a per hour dig. :-/

Other projects racking my brain-small cabin on bluff where deer blind is...make deer blind a chicken coop....lol.  Build a cedar sided woodshed storage unit.  Build a greenhouse...sound familiar?

Woodswalker

Chris & NorthernMich,

I've done some costing of insulation options and have decided not to use the reflectix bubble stuff.  Will instead use foil-faced 4' x 8' sheets of isocyanurate, probably the 3/4".  They are much cheaper, easy to cut for rafter cavities, and still have the reflective benefits.  Those benefits require a free airspace above the foil of at least 3/4" or so.  I'll have 1.5", to provide air movement up the cavity to the ridge vents.

I'll take some "installed" pics of the outhouse next trip over, in a week or two.  Built it with 2 x 3's, screws, and 3/8" plywood on walls and door to reduce weight and add strength.

Steve

crose

Hey Steve,
Im not familiar with isocyanurate...Im truly a novice.  Only found a mediocre illustration at a website.  I have not yet decided on what sort of insulation Ill be using in N. WI.  Maybe the isocyanurate is something to consider.

I look forward to the pics.  Hope the installation went well.

Chris

Woodswalker

Here are some recent pics of the project.  Recently spent a few days installing an insulated steel entry door, a metal chimney for a wood stove (not in pics), and blocking for ceiling insulation.  Will insulate the ceiling next trip over.

First couple of pics are of the "one lunger", as-installed.  There is a pic of the view out the picture window of the lake below and mountains beyond.  A couple of the pics show interior framing.  One is of the gable end, rafters, and exposed collar beams.  The other shows the entry door, sidewall beam/header, and blocks supporting the beam that are bolted to the post.

Chris, did you say you plan to start building your place in N WI in the fall?  Winter comes early in those parts.

Steve

Woodswalker

Greetings Again to All,

Spent a busy summer (8 trips) working on the cabin, so have not posted pics or text for months.  A summary of progress includes installation of all insulation, 1" x 3" strapping along tops and bottoms of walls & ceiling (2' OC) and around all openings, 1/2" sheetrock on the walls, and a wood stove.  In the ceiling, I installed ! x 2's to the upper sides of rafters, tight to the plywood above.  Then installed 1/2", foil-faced insulation board between rafters by nailing (roofing nails) to the bottoms of the 1 x2".  This created a 1.5" vent tube from wall to peak in each rafter bay.  Wire screening was cut and stapled in place at the lower end of each vent tube to exclude insects & varmints.  Kraft-faced fiberglass batts were then installed below the insulation board to fill the rest of the rafter bays.  The 1 x 3 strapping was then installed to provide wide, easy surfaces for securing sheetrock.

The 1 x 2's are visible in the R bay, and foil board installed at L.

Foil board at L, and fiberglass batt in bay at R.

View of insulation batts, prior to installing 1 x 3 strapping.

Sheetrock installed on walls.  Note varmint security officer on duty at L.

Sheetrocked wall at other end.

Closed up the site for the winter when last there for deer hunting season (mid-Oct).  The passes (4 to cross) are getting snow now.  Plan to build a picnic table for the cabin this winter, and also work at rebuilding several old wood stoves.  Am enjoying catching up on the progress of other projects posted here.

Steve

jraabe

Steve:

Nice progress and thanks for posting the photos.

I like your foam board, spaced vent and fiberglass insulation system for the roof. It should be both cooler in summer (reflecting heat into the vent space) and warmer in winter (higher R-value than you could otherwise get into the rafter depth.

It takes a bit more time but will be very cost effective I suspect.

John

Woodswalker

John,

The cabin sits on a S-facing slope with no shade, and the temp often approaces 100F in the summer, so I wanted a system that would help keep the inside cooler.  Noticed a huge difference right away.  Will be even better once I get a porch on the front (S side), and address shading for windows on the W end.  A small, box-style, wood stove was plenty of heat during hunting season when temps at night were in 20's.  This system involves considerable extra time and some cost compared to just using trusses for a flat ceiling and dumping in cellulose.  To me, for a small, one-room cabin, it is worth it to get the vaulted ceiling.  Thanks for your comments.

Steve

MountainDon

Good to see your post Steve. I'd been wondering where you got yourself off to.

Looking fine.

Willy

Well I see you got a jump on me building yours! This isn't poor country or maybe you should say that before everyone else figures it out! Nice start and it won't take long to finish it. You have a long drive compaired to me. As the crow flys I am 45 miles away but my truck does not fly so it is 90 miles instead. Land prices are jumping real fast around this neck of the woods. Glad I bought my 40 acs when I did cause it has more than doubled in the last 10 years. I will be using 6X6s Treated .60% for my posts but they will be under beams and only 4 ft long. Wood is so much cheaper than concrete up in the mountains.  I also put up a 2X10 double ridge beam 18 ft long at the height of 16 ft plus and it was a chore! I think it was as heavy as my 130 lb body. I lifted one end up and tied it in place then took the other end up. Sitting it on top of the 3 inch wide support was a job since I had to go to the other end and place it before any nails went in. I was sure the other end would fall when I drove the nails in. It all worked out and I finished the barn but do not want to try that again alone. The body does not heal so good anymore. I LEARNED THAT WHEN I FELL OFF MY SHOP ROOF AND BROKE MY FOOT. I NOW WILL NEVER WORK ON A ROOF WITH OUT ROPES!!! Mark

Woodswalker

Yo Willy,

My comment regarding Ferry County being the poorest in the state is based only on county property tax revenues.  The large amount of federal NF land in the county has much to do with that.  In no way did I mean the comment to refer to county residents.  I've owned land there for several years now, and met lots of local folks.  Have found them to be friendly and hard-working.  Several people I know have moved from over here on the west side to the Republic area because they love it.  Give me a shout if you need a hand with anything at your cabin-build.  Would enjoy meeting you and seeing that area.
Steve

Willy

Quote from: Woodswalker on January 09, 2008, 11:41:29 AM
Yo Willy,

My comment regarding Ferry County being the poorest in the state is based only on county property tax revenues.  The large amount of federal NF land in the county has much to do with that.  In no way did I mean the comment to refer to county residents.  I've owned land there for several years now, and met lots of local folks.  Have found them to be friendly and hard-working.  Several people I know have moved from over here on the west side to the Republic area because they love it.  Give me a shout if you need a hand with anything at your cabin-build.  Would enjoy meeting you and seeing that area.
Steve
Okanogan is also a poor area not in a sence like a run down city area you would not walk let alone drive thru but just not full of buisiness to employ all kinds of people at good wages. It is a small town and that is normal for a small town. I live 12 miles away from town in the outback as some would say. When I start my cabin I will shoot you a message. I will probley be up there till it is done just going home when I run out of materials and tired. Mark

Woodswalker

Driveway from road to cabin.  Can you spot the two birdhouses?  Taken last month, with 2ft of snow.  Think there is about 3ft now, and more on the way.

Ed Hill, with my cabin approx in middle.  Will be lots of runoff, come April.

Steve