For all you conspiracy theorists... whaddya make of this?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, July 26, 2008, 11:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

I've heard multiple musings here and other places about FEMA's roles in "disasters".  Well, what do you think of this?  For years the I-40 crosstown bridge in Oklahoma City has been in really bad shape, and in the past few years huge chunks of concrete keep falling out of the bridge and  the city will come and patch the hole... it's well known around here that it is in serious need of being rebuilt. In fact, one night last week, they had to close a lane again because another big hole had appeared.   Anyway, tonight we went to a gospel singing and I was talking to an old old friend there, and he said that a guy he knows who works for FEMA sent him an email telling him to warn family and friends not to drive on the crosstown because it will collapse before the new bridge is finished, that FEMA "knows" it is going to collapse already and that they know approximately when it will take place.  The new road is supposed to be built through an older mostly minority community, and I remember way back when they first started discussing rebuilding the road that there was a big uproar because the gov was going to force people out of their homes to build the new bridge.  DH and I were talking about it on the way home and we figured that if there was a "state of emergency" because of the bridge collapse, then it would give them all the more excuse to knock out whole neighborhoods of old rundown houses just because they can.  Needless to say, we took an alternate route home tonight.  Why is a federal agency supposedly in the know about this seemingly local issue, AND if they "know" the bridge is going to collapse before the new one is ready, why aren't they shutting it down?

glenn kangiser

I am evacuated for fire now, on Blackberry but take it seriously until you are sure it is not true - until all times and events have lapsed.

Don't chance it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Fema has been in on some very fishy stuff.  Gov recently mentioned that another disaster would benefit them.  Believe them.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

That is some scary shit

Why cannot we get this sort of thing spread out all across america on the evening news....

Oh yeah all the news in america is owned by heir Murdoch :o

muldoon

The whole thing sounds like a rumor to me.  However given the risks to the people if it were correct, have you considered sending an anonymous note to the newspaper or local tv/radio stations?  If they know it's going to fall and are not telling people it seems the liability would be huge.  If they denied any knowledge only to see the thing fall apart in 2 months it would be just as bad for them.  It might be better to push the issue now than be "right" later. 

StinkerBell

We have a few bridges here in Seattle that have issues too. Cracks and pieces of concrete fall at one point it was sinking too (The Alaska Way Viaduct, thats the name) . Despite that the city every few years does mock trials of emergencies to make sure we can handle a disaster. It could be argued that they know it can/will fall but who knows maybe it will be bombed or an earthquake may take it out. I suspect FEMA has many areas they have a plan if a disaster happens.

muldoon

I think stinkerbelle has the right idea on this.  FEMA likely has plans for thousands if not tens of thousands of possible catastrophes.  If they don't then they are not doing their job.  I could see the possibility of them performing a risk assessment then a mitigation plan and response plan if it were to occur.  If someone were to see that report and not have the proper context around it they might get the idea it was a planned event. 

The government is made up of people.  Some of the people may have some bad ideas, and some of them maybe have bad priorities, but overall I tend to believe in the good of people.  While I certainly understand people making bad choices, I just dont think malignant end "evil" intentions are the norm.  You can call me naive and tell me I'm wrong.  But I can't see a huge group of people, (and FEMA is a huge group of people) doing something like this with bad intentions towards the public.

I guess thats why I'm no good at conspiracy theories.  I can see a small group of people doing something to benefit themselves at the cost of others, I cannot see dozens or even hundreds of people going along with it. 

John_C

DOT would be the agency responsible for maintenance or closing the bridge.  I agree that some media attention might be the way to go.

peternap

Quote from: muldoon on July 27, 2008, 04:29:59 PM
I think stinkerbelle has the right idea on this.  FEMA likely has plans for thousands if not tens of thousands of possible catastrophes.  If they don't then they are not doing their job.  I could see the possibility of them performing a risk assessment then a mitigation plan and response plan if it were to occur.  If someone were to see that report and not have the proper context around it they might get the idea it was a planned event. 

The government is made up of people.  Some of the people may have some bad ideas, and some of them maybe have bad priorities, but overall I tend to believe in the good of people.  While I certainly understand people making bad choices, I just dont think malignant end "evil" intentions are the norm.  You can call me naive and tell me I'm wrong.  But I can't see a huge group of people, (and FEMA is a huge group of people) doing something like this with bad intentions towards the public.

I guess thats why I'm no good at conspiracy theories.  I can see a small group of people doing something to benefit themselves at the cost of others, I cannot see dozens or even hundreds of people going along with it. 

I have to agree with muldoon. In all the years I worked fot the state and the Federal Government, I never saw any sign of a conspiracy. Only ONCE did I see anyone do anything blatantly illegal. I'm talking about serious offenses.

I have seen plans of action that were intended to be done quietly and that were very poor judgment (my opinion is we are seeing one in the Stock Market now)
But these are different from conspiracies.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

considerations

FEMA can't step in (at least according to law) They may not act until and unless:

1 The Governor of the affected state declares a disaster. 
2 The Governor declares that the disaster is beyond the capabilities of the state to deal with it.
3 The Governor applies to the President for Federal disaster aid. 
4 The President accepts the application and makes a federal disaster declaration. 

Then,  FEMA goes to the state to assist the state emergency management agency.

So, what they can do is all after the fact.  State's rights are honored.

The only exception I know of would be in the event of a nationwide disaster, then the President (or the survivor in the line of succession) can make a declaration without waiting for governors.  That's when the authority of FEMA gets interesting.  They have a master plan that "coordinates" all federal agencies, including the armed forces. 

I worked for them for a while.

Maybe there is an agency that could precipitate action on a failing bridge before the fact, like the state's DOT or maybe the Transportation Safety Board if brought in by a whistle blower.   d*

considerations

Glenn, are you evacuated because of the Yosemite fire?

We just lost a couple of local boys who went down to fight those Northern California fires.  One was only 18. 

benevolance

I was going to ask the same thing...Where in relation to the fires are you At Glenn?

Homegrown Tomatoes

Glenn, hoping you are all out of harm's way there.  Updates?

glenn kangiser

I am about 1/2 mile from the edge of the fire East slope of Mt Bullion.  The fire has been being held at Harry51's place.  I decided I wasn't a ward of the state - said I'm taking care of my place - returned to the cabin at 4 AM and loaded my guns - One strapped on and carry the other in unknown situations. 

Only one chief with a bad attitude but he was happy to meet me and thought I was doing a great job after he saw my .380.  I didn't say anything -- a picture is worth a thousand words and I wasn't smiling or humoring his authoritarian attitude when I told him I was making fire trail and checking to make sure my neighbors place was OK.

He knew I was dead serious and was not to be screwed with.  He could see I had no fear of him in the slightest so he dropped the attitude and got friendly - to his own benefit.  I have seen it so many times I suspected the attitude would be the case but everyone was nice to me as I had my attitude adjusters.  A friend called and confirmed my suspicions - they were A-holes to him and drove him from his place about 1/2 mile away - line of sight from the pool.

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

StinkerBell

Glad to see you are ok!

I like that name, attitude adjuster. i think you need to trade mark it.

benevolance

glenn kangiser

Generally 12 feet or more wide - 30 is great - with no grass or fuel .  50 feet with no tree top closeness is even better.  I blade it out with the John Deere.

benevolance

get the dozer drop the hammer and go huh?

did you have to make the trail on your land or did you get to defile government property?

muldoon

This came out in the news today and seems somewhat relevant here.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=5467344

"At least $140 billion is needed to make major repairs or upgrades to one of every four U.S. bridges, transportation officials from states across the country said in a report released Monday."... 

"The report cited Federal Highway Administration statistics that 152,000 out of the nation's 600,000 bridges are either structurally deficient or functionally obsolete."

Someone thinking about a new new deal here? 

glenn kangiser

Quote from: benevolance on July 29, 2008, 02:38:38 AM
get the dozer drop the hammer and go huh?

did you have to make the trail on your land or did you get to defile government property?

All my property except about 200 feet on Schmidt's to help prevent fire from spreading from my place to theirs if it happens.

benevolance

So how close is the fire to where you laid the trench? is part of your land on fire?

glenn kangiser

The fire has not touched my place - roughly a quarter to 1/2 mile to the nearest fire lines.

StinkerBell

Hmmm I don't know....Fires, earthquakes and liberals made me move from the state. heh

benevolance

See now why does the word liberal have to be bad...

By definition it is something good... free thinking open minded non biased

Dubbya and cronies have tried to make it seem something like the taliban

very puzzling