Cabin blew off post and pier foundation

Started by Brandonr, December 13, 2006, 08:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandonr

the 16x24 cabin that we built last summer blew off its post and pier foundation on Tuesday night.  It's located on the west coast of Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada.  We haven't seen it yet, but we were told that the structure is intact and that it is now sitting on the ground.  My question is, has anyone had this experience?  We're heading up there tommorow, I think we'll try to jack the structue up off the ground a foot or so, to keep the joists dry over the winter.  I have no idea how we'll get it set back on the piers again, or if we'll even use the existing pier/footings.   Any advice would be appreciated!

PEG688

I've jacked a few old building up from out of the mud, it's a real bad job.

MTL( More Than Likely) you'll have to dig to get  jacks and cribbing , don't forget the cribbing, you'll need lots of it, under the building .  It's also a fairly dangerous job , people get crushed that don't know what they are doing when the jacks roll over cuz no cribbing was used / jacks where under sized / base for jack was undersized or the base was used / not leveled up right when the jack was set.

Jacks need a big base a beam cut off , 16" wide x 30" or so longer is better , a big footprint to prevent a point load / tipping over action .

If you have a backhoe / bob cat , etc and can drive up to the building you might be able to pick a corner , or end , up a bit with the machine and then put blocks / cribbing under it working your way around  :-/.

The problem with tha idea might be that the equipment will "push out " at the same time it lifts up , this could result in the building   being pushed off the blocks / cribbing again. :-/

What ever you do be very careful , when jacks slip / tip / fall over it is in a flash.  :o :o :o :( :(

G/L , be safe , you can build another building but ya can't grow back a arm or a leg, :o :o or worst yet the dirt nap :'(.

PEG      

BTW this weekends weathers suppost to be pretty bad , again, high wind , maybe some snow up your way .  Just think winters still a  week away :o

I'm a bit south of you , on Whidbey Isl.  :)Howdy neighbor!   
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

I guess the first thing to do would be to look it over and make a plan.  

Did it go from just high wind or was there softening of the ground too.  Probably don't know that one yet but it is something to look at.

I would think hydraulic jacks, timbers or railroad ties.  materials for blocking, shovels and digging equipment would be in order.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

I didn't know you were already on the job, PEG.  You did a better job than me anyway. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Brandonr

I'm actually an Eastern Washingtonian, live in Prosser.  Originally I'm from Bellingham, so I know your neck of the woods well.  The cabin is just a place to go for some very good fishing.  We'll be carefull, hopefully at least one of the corners is not flush with the ground.

Brandonr

Glenn, it went over due to several storms packing huricane force winds.  Similar stuff happend to other structures in the area, but not as bad as ours.  We're not sure at this point exactly what failed in the post and pier configuration.  Might be interesting.

glenn kangiser

After you peer at it, please keep us posted. :-/ :)

desdawg

One of the main things to remember when doing something like that is that is a cinch by the inch, but by the yard it is hard. Jack a little here, a little there and work your way around with your blocking until you have it solid and fairly level. Don't try to take any too much in one spot, tempting as it may seem. Don't ask me how I know that.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

John Raabe

If you do rebuild the P&P foundation be sure to provide diagonal bracing and anchors between the posts and beam to house connections.

If you are in a very exposed location you may want to jack it all the way up, crib it and pour a full perimeter concrete foundation. Then you can use metal straps to tie the walls and floors back into this. Such a foundation is far heavier, and easier to brace and anchor than the basic P&P design. (If you do this then also strap the roof rafters to the walls for extra protection for the roof.)

We have another windstorm coming into the Pacific NW tonight (12-14) so don't do anything today!

PS - let us know how it goes and what you find as we can all learn from such disasters.  :-/
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MB25ACRES

how bad was is it .I hope you can fix it Mike

Doug Martin

Now I know I live on the right side of the continent.  It was 54 F this morning at 5:15am when I got up to go to the gym.  54 F in the foothills of the Massachusett's Berkshires in December ain't bad.

Brandonr

I don't have an update yet, we're still trying to put together a mission up there.  It's tough with the horrible weather and the holidays.  It sounds like the structure is stable at this point, so we're not in a headlong rush to get up there.  Thanks for all the advice, we'll keep everyone updated.

Brandon

Jens

QuoteOne of the main things to remember when doing something like that is that is a cinch by the inch, but by the yard it is hard. Jack a little here, a little there and work your way around with your blocking until you have it solid and fairly level. Don't try to take any too much in one spot, tempting as it may seem. Don't ask me how I know that.

Why do you know that?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Amanda_931

Because Desdawg joins those of us who only learn from our own experience, not other people's?

;)

JRR

Are we just gonna let Glenn's bad joke slide?  Holiday kindness?

glenn kangiser

I feel better now, JRR.  At least you noticed.  I was feeling so insignificant. :-?

PEG688

Humm well it was correctly written , maybe he's a poet and just don't know it.  ya should a been doesn't but ,don't, seemed to rime better.  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

That was one of my more thoughtful ones.  

desdawg

Actually I was very exuberiently (sp?) jacking away at a small singlewide mobile home one time and dropped it. I was thinking there was no reason to keep moving those jacks around until I had full lift out of them. Wrong. The last one I did was a 14' X 70' and I took my time and got it right. As usual I was working alone in both cases. Kinder spooky when one of those dudes comes crashing down.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

tibadoe

When you get a chance to check out the damage-let me know.  Its probually safe to say that the wind forces against the structure was the the cause for failure.  I am designing a A-Frame that will be on a P&P foundation. Maybe I can keep the same from happening.

Joe
Joe

Chutz

I'm south of this location...on the mainland. That storm was a doozie! Were out of power for nearly a week.I'm getting ready to put up that same cabin plan. Will be on post and pier, modified to 16'X24 to fit the area.  We are in the middle of forest land but had quite a wind tunnel from the SW created by a driveway and slope. Any suggestions to make sure this one stays put? We're planning a low profile, i.e. only one or two steps up.  Also, this will be adjacent to the main house and one day will be connected with a hallway.

Cheers,
Chutz
The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.
Albert Einstein: (1879-1955)

glenn kangiser

If PT post and pier, post set well into the ground and good diagonal bracing would help.

Chutz

Thanks Glenn. Will do! Anyone put sheer straps on those side walls? The ones that are 26' long?

Chutz
The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.
Albert Einstein: (1879-1955)

Bellla

Brandonr have you been able to get to your cabin and see first hand what happened?  I would love an update.

Thanks

Bellla

John Raabe

Yes, metal straps such as those from Simpson can be nailed into the wood foundation posts and up over the corners and into the wall studs (these go under the siding). This will add to the racking resistance of the building. Diagonal cross bracing tied into floor joists will help brace the piers themselves.

Then, in addition, use hurricane clips where the rafters meet the wall plates. Usually every other rafter is sufficient hold down unless you are in tornado alley.
None of us are as smart as all of us.