Blum Metabox (drawer side/glide units)

Started by MountainDon, July 28, 2007, 05:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Has anyone used or seen an installation where the Blum Metabox units have been used?  :-/
It seems that as I age I find myself seeking good viable shortcuts &/or labor saving devices more frequently.   :-?
http://www.blum.us/us/en/01/40/index.php

I've used Blum drawer glides before and found them to work fine.
Available at
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=134-939
in case lots only, page has links to PDF info files
or
http://www.cabinetparts.com/shop_2006/grouping/?id=1007&SID=search&man=Blum
in singles, page has links to details and tech info
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peg_688

#1:  Has anyone used or seen an installation where the Blum Metabox units have been used?  :-/

#2: It seems that as I age I find myself seeking good viable shortcuts &/or labor saving devices more frequently.   :-?

#1: Hundreds of um, they work BUT they have issues . The old metal draw box of old , think rusty, ya they say the won't and maybe they never will BUT they can be a hard sell to a client.

#2: They require added tooling , a assembly jig for speed , which may not be a issue for you .

We used a Melanie (sp) bottom 3/4" and IIRC a 1/2 " back  both need edge banding.  Yes no finishing  was required  BUT again that BUT , they just ain't a nice clean lookin Euro ply draw box .  :(

If your lookin just for one kitchen worth I'd recommend not going that way.  But , eh,  do as you please .

May choice of slide is  KV (Knape &  Voge  (SP) there are a few reasons they are easier to work with the releace mech, they have more ball bearings on a longer carriage ,  full extentions side mount, they come in different LBS ratings for a kitchen  the 90 lbs type work well , for file draws they go up to IIRC 150 lbs , again full extentions .

All the companys have hidden under mount slides now as well , with trick features like self closing at  a point ,

MountainDon

Thanks PEG, I knew you'd have something to say on them. I may very well be making some traditional drawers.  :-/  I'll be sleeping on that one for a while.

I love the KV slides, especially the full travel ones. They even make some HD and Extra HD ones (200# and 500# capacity). I've used the 200# for a generator pull out on the RV and the 500# for the batteries (6 x 6volt golf cart). They're not cheap but sure make service work easier.   :)

PEG688

Mtn D try these guys , www.usindustrialfasteners.com , good guys I hooked up with them when I put a pull out recycle bin in for my step daughter down in Chandler, Az. while on vacation  ::)  ya right,  when Mr. Cabinet / Carpenter guy visits all the chores come out  ;D  They sell to the general public , pricing was very good , they gave me a catalog and said they'd ship to  Whidbey Island .

Might be worth a call or internet order.

G/L PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

Thanks again.
Quoteya right,  when Mr. Cabinet / Carpenter guy visits all the chores come out  
I know how that goes. Last visit to my sister up in Canada, they had me build a two level deck (2 levels was my idea) for their new above ground pool. I have to admit it was not a surprise, it was all planned and they paid for my gas and motels up and back home. I just had to cart all the tools.   :)  Eats were great too! They now have just bought a new (pre-owned) cabin on Lake Winnipeg that needs some work.Maybe another free trip will be in the works?   :-/
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Quoteya right,  when Mr. Cabinet / Carpenter guy visits all the chores come out  
I know how that goes. Last visit to my sister up in Canada, they had me build a two level deck (2 levels was my idea) for their new above ground pool. I have to admit it was not a surprise, it was all planned and they paid for my gas and motels up and back home. I just had to cart all the tools.   :)  Eats were great too! They now have just bought a new (pre-owned) cabin on Lake Winnipeg that needs some work.Maybe another free trip will be in the works?   :-/

Ya I don't mind either really about the same set up and I get bored just sittin around , I sure do waste time on the puter though :( ;D

MountainDon

Quote.. I sure do waste time on the puter though :( ;D
Tell me about it!   ;D  That'll stop for a few days here... going back up to the mtns in the AM

PEG688

glenn kangiser

PEG said,

QuoteI put a pull out recycle bin in for my step daughter

How did you get away with that? :-?

Doesn't Arizona have laws against keeping your step-daughter in a recycle bin? :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

QuotePEG said,

QuoteI put a pull out recycle bin in for my step daughter

How did you get away with that? :-?

Doesn't Arizona have laws against keeping your step-daughter in a recycle bin? :-/

Now how'd you read that into that sentence ?? :-/

I didn't put her IN the bin I put a bin in for her  ::)

But hey Az. a "right to work state" so IF I had put her in the bin so what, I could easly hire a illegal alian , you know a wet back  :-[ ;D if we really needed some one IN THE BIN  ;D

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the clarification, PEG.  For a minute there I thought we had a problem. :-/ ;D

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jwv

I have the Blumetal box with Blumotion full extension and so far they have performed beautifully albeit a short time.  I didn't install them but  the cabinetmaker said it would be much less time on his part with just as good (or better) result.  In Arizona we don't really have to worry about humidity rusting the metal, otherwise I try not to have water in my drawers  :-[ (the Depends really help).

My husband built the island (not shown) from an existing cabinet with drawers which don't have these slides-they will in the future.

Judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

PEG688

Ah Judy's photo reminded me of another complaint we had , notice how short the draw side is , that may not be the tallest Medabox  side they sell , BUT  the tallest side is like 8" IIRC . We had at least one client who hated that so we made a "liner" that came almost all the way up  in EACH draw . So any time we saved :-/ was ah taken back Eh ::)

Yes Judy's has the "gallery rail" and IIRC we had used those as well  BUT the lady still didn't like that fact that she had a big draw front and essentailly a 6 or 8" draw side.

There also "noisey"  in action , all that metal and hard nylon rollers ,  another complaint I've had to deal with ::) >:(

There not real cheap either , but like I've said "IT Depends" ,( nice how you wove  that in Judy ;D), on what you want out of a draw.

I guess you NEVER put a dish or pan away with a lil water left in it from the dishwasher eh Judy ::) ;D Ever!  ;D

glenn kangiser

I know you've seen it before but it just seemed appropriate.

MountainDon

Thanks Judy. Thanks again PEG. The jury is out on this one. So far it's deadlocked.  :-/

This is for the yet to be built cabin... I'm also keeping an eye out for used, good condition cabinets in a style/finish I like. May never come along.

I'll probably end up dusting off the dovetail attachment and doing some real cabinetwork again.

jwv

All I have is my experience with the slides. We have the 8 inch on the drawer pictured and the 6 and 8 inch in the pan drawers under the stove. I can't think of anything I would put in them that wouldn't/hasn't stayed put unless I was stacking a lot of loose things on top. But then I knew exactly what I wanted in these drawers when I drew the plan. Also I'm not nearly as nit-picky as some-like the lady you're speaking of may be.  As far as noisy-they aren't. They are the quietest drawers we've ever had. We do have the Blumotion soft close, maybe that makes a difference.

They are expensive but one of my mantras has always been, If it's something you touch every day, spend what you feel comfortable to save yourself aggravation.  Who wants to be irritated by their "tools" on a daily basis.  Every time I use these drawers I'm glad I spent the money.

And no, I usually don't put wet things in the drawers, I have a rack that they go on if damp from the DW. But again in AZ, usually not a problem with <25% humidity 10 months of the year.

What can I say, I'm starry-eyed in love  :-*

YMMV
Judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

PEG688

#1:    All I have is my experience with the slides.

#2:   Also I'm not nearly as nit-picky as some-like the lady you're speaking of may be.

#3:   As far as noisy-they aren't. They are the quietest drawers we've ever had. We do have the Blumotion soft close, maybe that makes a difference.

#4: They are expensive but one of my mantras has always been, If it's something you touch every day, spend what you feel comfortable to save yourself aggravation.  Who wants to be irritated by their "tools" on a daily basis.  Every time I use these drawers I'm glad I spent the money.

#5: What can I say, I'm starry-eyed in love  :-*

#6: YMMV

Judy thanks for your insights.  8-)

#1: My experiences where from  a manf. /installer/ customer relations view.

#2: Let hope not she was a reallllllllllllllllllll.......ahhhhhhhhhhh. Nice client ;D

#3: The ones I dealt with where not Blum motion they where called Metabox, and where talking 7 years ago.

#4: That they are , but like you say , they are a tool you use everyday , most / some clients don't have that type of thinking.   Personnally I would not spend that much for a draw slide / box for my own house, mostly because I like a wood draw box.

#5 : Thats the key happy client = happy cabinetmaker :)

#6: Yes it could , client to client , the never ending test! :'(