Modular Built Cabin

Started by whit, November 17, 2011, 01:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whit

Has anyone had any experience in building a small cabin using a modular approach?

I am thinking of an 8X8 small cabin on a concrete pier foundation which would be converted into a shed once my main builkding was done. Need to pay off the land first and would like to enjoy the place while I am paying off the loan.

Since I live in the great white north, I have 6 months of winter on hand which I could use building my walls for the cabin. I was thinking of 4 X 8' walls which I would haul up and assemble at the site. My site is about a 1 1/2 hour drive away. I have a Ford Ranger to do the hauling and could rent a trailer if need be.

I have a large empty basement where I could do the work and store the materials. Don't think that I would bother with attaching the plywood as this would make the walls too heavy to transport. The roof I would do on site following the plans for the Builders Cottage (which I already purchased) and adding a gabled roof with loft.

Besides the advantages of using my winter time to get some work done, I would also be better able to spread out the funds to do the work.

Anyone done something like this.

Redoverfarm

Just don't be like the guy that built the boat in his basement only to find that he could not get it out after completed.  d*

whit

Nope, just wide enough to go through the basement window. This is how I get gip rock into the basement.

I've actually heard of people doing this, building boats they can't get out  ;D

Alan Gage

QuoteI am thinking of an 8X8 small cabin on a concrete pier foundation which would be converted into a shed once my main builkding was done. Since I live in the great white north, I have 6 months of winter on hand which I could use building my walls for the cabin.

What are you going to do with the remaining 5 months and 3 weeks and 4 days?  :)

Alan

Gary O

Hey whit
We did it.
Cut and assembled the pony walls, cut and prefit the rafters and trusses, including the bird's mouths.
Turned out to be the best thing we did.
Sure saved a lot of dead time, and used a lot of take-yer-time at the shop. Big dividend.
Then at the site, badda bing badda bang

I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

whit

Hey thanks for the photos Gary. This is what I am thinking. Have everything prepared and ready to go while taking my time thinking things through and doing them right. I like the idea of getting the rafters ready as well.

I was also thinking of building a prototype first and working out the kinks before buying the big stuff. I don't imagine prepping such a small cabin will take long but at least I can do it in sections.

Gary O

funny you should mention prototype
I've worked out the kinks doing models
Just rip down some pine to 1/8 scale and staple away.
The great thing about that is you can take to someone to critique.

firefox

And voila, you have a super cool dog house or snowmobile shed.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Gary O

not too far off, Bruce
Built one at 1/4 scale......the neighbor's dog loves it

MikeC

we built a similar size goat house with that approach - wall panels just transportable with a hand truck.

Perhaps more in line with your idea:

http://www.countryplans.com/cody.html

BassLakeBucki

I plan on doing this for an 8 X 12 addition. My cabin is 6 hours away. The more I can do at home after work, the more lake time I can get when I am there. I plan on building it in my driveway but in a way that can be disasseambled for transport. Fortunatley I have a 8' X 16' trailer. I do have to be careful with weight as the pieces will need to be carried to their final position. I hope to cut the sheathing and fit it at home but attach it when I get it up there. I will need to mark all the pieces clearly for easy assembly.

The roof will need to be done on site since this is an addition and I need to start at the existing building, I am just not that good to measure and plan that part without being there. Even though I will be spending fuel to haul it up there, I will gain other efficiencies. I can get materials at home with better price and greater selection, don't have to worry as much about weather during my building window (vacation) and leave more time for the things I can't do at home.

I like that ... Ba da ding, ba da boom, addition construction schedule with booster engines.  :)

Gary O

Quote from: BassLakeBucki on November 18, 2011, 09:31:47 AM
  I will need to mark all the pieces clearly for easy assembly.

A must...saved my bacon.

NM_Shooter

Heck yes. 

My cabin is way out in the sticks, and is snow covered 6 to 8 months of the year.  My time up there is short, and I get "cabin fever" when I am not up there.  Building things here and transporting them up there for install is therapy for me. 

I built both my cabin and my shed/outhouse in my garage, and trailered it up there.  I did not sheet the walls until on site, as I mostly do this by myself and wrestling a paneled wall structure is more than my old body can handle. 

Take a look here for pix :

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=4782.msg96549#msg96549

"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

whit

All great suggestions and really appreciated.  ;)

I bought some 1X2X8 spruce today (0.98 cents per length) to put together a small proto-type of what I want to build. I haven't built a house or shed but I have done a lot of house renos including a basement on my own so I can frame, do electrical and work with dry wall etc.

I have no experience with framing a roof though and I don't want to walk into it not knowing what I am doing especially working with 2x6 (it gets heavy). The snow load up here requires a 2x6 roof so I want to work the kinks out on the little proto-type first. Getting the slope and pitch down correct.

I love all the input, so keep it coming. Oh ya I also bought the book recommended by John on framing (first one on his list). That will really help with understanding how to frame a roof. It's really chalk full of amazing information on the whole process of framing.

TheWire

I built parts of my cabin off site, like the Permanent Wood Foundation.  Beyond that, I built headers, cut jack studs, laid out plates etc.  However, use caution with nailing too much together, applying sheeting, etc.  Variations in the build may need to be compensated for on site and having too much pre-assembled limits your ability to make adjustments.