Dust Mask

Started by peternap, February 09, 2008, 07:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Among my growing list of ailments, I've developed asthma.

The farm is dusty with really gritty dust. If I'm using the ATV, Tractor, post hole digger or nearly anything else, I have attacks that just knock me off my feet for the rest of the day. Primatine Mist helps but I want to try to avoid/ the attacks altogether.

Building the Bouse (or harn) isn't too bad but milling lumber is another killer.

Anyone use a mask and know one type or the other to recommend?
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

Asthma. That sucks, Peter.  >:(  I use a half face mask in the wood shop. That's the type that consists of a rubber mask covering the nose and mouth with two replaceable filters on either cheek, sort of. I have to use it when doing anything with Red Oak. I also use it whenever sanding anything that gets a lot of dust in the air.

I developed allergies to red oak dust after building many items from red oak. As well I have developed a borderline bronchial problem that's aggravated by any kind of sanding dust. If I don't wear the mask I pay for it later with inflammation in my tubes and end up needing to use my Qvar inhaler for weeks on end. That sucks.

It all sucks. Especially as I find the rubber mask uncomfortable after a time. I find the disposables a bit more comfortable, but they don't fit well over a beard/mustache, making them less effective. Both types suck. I don't do red oak much anymore. That sucks.

The only upside on the rubber mask one I bought is it has different filters available for different purposes... even HEPA, in case we get hit by Avian flu or some other bird$hit environmental disaster.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Willy

Quote from: peternap on February 09, 2008, 07:39:10 PM
Among my growing list of ailments, I've developed asthma.

The farm is dusty with really gritty dust. If I'm using the ATV, Tractor, post hole digger or nearly anything else, I have attacks that just knock me off my feet for the rest of the day. Primatine Mist helps but I want to try to avoid/ the attacks altogether.

Building the Bouse (or harn) isn't too bad but milling lumber is another killer.

Anyone use a mask and know one type or the other to recommend?
I do but not a regular rubber band paper one there a joke. On the fires I have several in my Tender. One is a air tank back pac for when smoke gets to bad driving in. I have the tank behind my seat and the full face mask handy above the back of the seat easy to get to. I also have a full face mask with Hepa/Organic filters. This mask is also used around acid fumes in my daughters tanning buisness. The organic vapor filter removes the smell. For dust I would get one that at least covers the nose and mouth that has screw on filters and use a P-100 Hepa filter. This will truly remove the dust particals. I to have ruined my lungs over the years not wearing protection. Now it is the first thing on if the smoke gets bad. I just bought a new $3,000.00 unit for $400.00 on ebay for the water tender. I also have a small  30 min escape unit that has a CO scrubber and oxegin tank if I have to leave the truck for some reason. You can get real nice filter masks on ebay for 1/4 the price. Look under "MSA Resculator" or just "MSA" check my spelling. That will get you into the full face and 1/2 face masks and buy your filters also there. I bought 30 filters for pennies on the dollar to fit mine. Normaly the Hepa/Organic Filter Cartiges are 29.00 a pair!! Mark

Look here lots of them!
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=msa+mask&category0=

glenn kangiser

I've had asthma since I was born.  Seldom bad now.  Nearly outgrew it for a while but got it back after a case of what was probably pneumonia - didn't have money or time to go to the doctor -- I was a broke trucker at that time.

Anyway, Bronkaid pills are probably about the most bang for the buck - twice as strong as Primatine pills so you may find that half a pill is enough.  Just use the inhaler as an emergency fix as it's not that great for you and not a long term solution.  I like the Bronkaid over the counter pills better than the last prescription pills I had.

With paced steady exercise in the 3000 foot elevation area we are in I seldom have problems.  Much better than in the valley.

Here we have a plant called Yerba Santa that helps with asthma.  Ephedra is helpful also.

If you smoke -- stopping will help.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

There are also much better prescription inhalers - albuterol and others -- if you are into doctors, Peter.

Hope you find some relief.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

rwanders

Peter, I strongly recommend you see a doctor and get off the Primatene----regular use will often cause unsafe increases in blood pressure and development of tremors----there are much more effective prescription inhalers such as albutol or advair that will not require frequent use like Primatene which is just epinephrine. I had fairly severe asthma as a child and now as I am older it does bother me occasionally. I have found advair very effective with not more than one use a day.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

peternap

Thanks Guys!

Glenn, I'll see if I can find Bronkaid today. I have a duel filter mask that I use for woodworking but I can't imagine wearing it all day...Not to mention that it's a felony in Virginia. Yep....believe it or not. Pretty stupid, isn't it.

§ 18.2-422. Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places; exceptions.

It shall be unlawful for any person over sixteen years of age while wearing any mask, hood or other device whereby a substantial portion of the face is hidden or covered so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, to be or appear in any public place, or upon any private property in this Commonwealth without first having obtained from the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in writing. However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to persons (i) wearing traditional holiday costumes; (ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons; (iii) engaged in any bona fide theatrical production or masquerade ball; or (iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device. The violation of any provisions of this section shall constitute a Class 6 felony.

(Code 1950, §§ 18.1-364, 18.1-367; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1986, c. 19.)
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

Gotta love laws.

As a side note. Peter, have you noticed lots of jet vapor trails that do not disappear in a few minutes , but rather spread and cover the sky in a matter of a few hours?  People have been developing allergies - breathing problems etc, when this is done in their area.  A common feature seems to be parallel lines of trails and x's that all spread rather than dissipate.

http://www.newswithviews.com/Devvy/kidd84.htm

Above is one of the pretty rational articles -- there are many that are way out there.  No avoiding the issue that it is being done though.

MountainDon

Peter. Absurd. But it would seem that section (ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons; should cover the uses for personal health... prevention of dust inhalation.  Still absurd. But then I recall some legislator from VA wanting to outlaw "truck nuts", the dangley kind. Maybe I commented on that someplace already.  ??? Yeah maybe. ... Gotta find my memory  :(
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

It would also cover you if you were a professional robber, murderer, hit man, etc.  (Only as long as you were a pro though).

MountainDon

rofl Interesting concept  rofl

Redoverfarm

We have basickly the same here in the hills.  But the intent of the legistation was for the robbery aspect. That is why they put the exemptions within.  The only portion that doesn't make sense is Halloween. I guess you would be alright robbing a bank at that holiday season.  Any other time you would be subject to arrest. ;)