Shame on you Obama

Started by Redoverfarm, February 05, 2009, 02:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Obama Snubs Nation's Heroes, Becomes the First President to Skip Ball Honoring Medal of Honor Recipients in Over 50 Years

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/8627

Barack Obama may have stumbled over his words briefly during his inauguration, but he made an even bigger blunder later Tuesday evening. The newly sworn-in President opted not to appear at what should have been one of the most important Balls on his agenda that evening - The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball.

The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball was begun in 1953 for President Dwight Eisenhower's inauguration. The event recognized recipients of the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military award. There were 48 Medal of Honor recipients in attendance, who were undoubtedly disappointed by the Commander-in-Chief's failure to show. Over the past 56 years and 14 inaugurations, no President has skipped this event - until now.

The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball is sponsored by the American Legion, and co-sponsored by 13 other veterans' service organizations, including those such as the Paralyzed Veterans of America and the Military Order of the Purple Heart.

Instead of attending this ball honoring our nation's heroes, Obama was busy making stops at 10 other official balls. Obama and his wife's first stop was at the Neighborhood Ball. From there they went to the Home State Ball for Illinois and Hawaii, the Commander-in-Chief Ball, the Youth Inaugural Ball, and the Home State Ball for Delaware and Pennsylvania. They finished off the night with brief appearances at the Mid-Atlantic, Western, Midwest, Eastern, and Southern regional Balls.

Celebrities were a plenty at the balls, with Stevie Wonder, Shakira, Mary. J. Blige, Faith Hill, Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, Adam Levine, will.i.am, Sting, Mariah Carey, and Leonardo DiCaprio in attendance at the Neighborhood Ball. In addition, the other nine balls also featured a star-studded lineup including Kanye West and Kid Rock at the Youth Ball, Marc Anthony at the Western Ball, and Cheryl Crow at the Western Ball.

It was the party without all of the celebrities that Obama skipped. The very people who he sought to have support him during his candidacy and campaign, who have fought to protect this country, were snubbed in favor of publicity and the opportunity to rub shoulders - yet again - with the out-of-touch Hollywood elite.

wildbil

I would hold it more against him for the balls he Has attended. With our economy in shambles our leaders should set an example. Instead of the million dollar parties, have a barbecue in the back yard on sunday, then get to work on monday.

Just another example of the 'Elite' blatantly wasting money and resources, while normal people struggle.
"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
-Thomas Jefferson

karnf

My exact thoughts Redoverfarm and Wildbill!
Well he's only been in office for two weeks and has shown lack of judgement in so many areas especially
in his tax cheating appointees. I think we now have to have a GIVE OBAMA A GRADE as there was a
GIVE BUSH A GRADE remember in this forum?
At least if you gave Bush a bad grade he had eight years to earn it. OBAMA gets an F for the shortest
time in office a president has messed up by his lack of judgement for office appointees and compassion for the military heros. He didn't get a majority of the military vote in the election. Seems he attended the balls that represented his election base. Hence his so call stimulus package which is really a spending package for the base that voted him in. Can you say payback time? Chance we can believe in;yeah right! Hang on were're in
for a bumpy ride!
OBAMA = F

Jochen

Quote from: karnf on February 05, 2009, 06:24:58 PM
...... OBAMA gets an F for the shortest time in office a president has messed up by his lack of judgement for office appointees and compassion for the military heros. He didn't get a majority of the military vote in the election. Seems he attended the balls that represented his election base. Hence his so call stimulus package which is really a spending package for the base that voted him in. Can you say payback time? Chance we can believe in;yeah right! Hang on were're in
for a bumpy ride!
OBAMA = F

Okay,
Lets see, it is difficult to judge somebody after such a short period. But I will try and I give him an B+, probably on a way to an A in a few month.

And how do you define a HERO. The dictionary definition of a hero is "a person of distinguished courage or ability...admired for brave deeds and noble qualities...role model, ideal..." (excerpts, Webster, Unabridged, 2nd edition, 2001). I would like to add the following characteristics in the description of a hero: integrity, compassion, helping those in need, moral courage and doing what you know is right. I really have major problems to find such persons in modern history.

And when you complain that the so called stimulus package is really a spending package for the base that voted him in, I would like to add that that is a GOOD thing as the majority of Americans have voted for Obama and following your suggestions will now directly benefit form that vote.

Jochen

edited: corrected spelling errors

Sonoran

I think the problem with finding Heroes is that we are looking in the wrong places, or expecting a hero to be a well-known public figure.

Some heroe's I have known:  My Wife, Dad, Mom, Step-Dad, Brothers, and Grandparents.

Concerning Obama:

"Social scientists have coined the term halo effect to describe the tendency to form an overall positive impression of a person on the basis of one positive characteristic. Most typically, the positive impression comes from phsyical attractiveness, which can lead people to attribute all sorts of other virtues to the good-looking person."
Individuality: You are all unique, just like everybody else.

Dog

Shame on Obama for ignoring our military Hero's! I find it disgusting that he saw those other events as a priority. This really concerns me!  ???

I agree it's too soon to give him a grade...I do hope he smartens up and gets a grasp on priorities fast. Honoring our military is priority.
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

karnf

Our nation's (America) government reconizes soldiers who have scarificed their life for a fellow commrade in the line of duty and given the medal of HONOR. Obama is our commander and chief of our military and couldn't find time to attend the military ball which is a disgrace and he gets an F IMO for that alone. My hero was my father who fought in WWII in the Air Force and Navy and came back disabled and was able to provide a good life for our family. He came back so patriotic and loved his country and the freedoms many of us take for granted today. He saw unspeakable tragedies in war but believed he was fighting for democracy in this world. I don't care what the definition of a hero in the dictionary says I know what a hero means to me and others who have found inspiration from someone that has made a difference in someone else's life and the world.

MountainDon

FWIW, Joe Biden attended.   
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Squirl

Quote from: karnf on February 05, 2009, 06:24:58 PM
Well he's only been in office for two weeks and has shown lack of judgement in so many areas especially
in his tax cheating appointees. I think we now have to have a GIVE OBAMA A GRADE as there was a
GIVE BUSH A GRADE remember in this forum?
OBAMA = F

While I agree that not attending an inauguration ball that has been a tradition for years is very disappointing, I don't agree that it is as extreme as an F for an entire presidency.  Not attending an inaugural ball does not equate to starting a 6 year on going pointless war that cost trillions of dollars and thousands of American lives.  Or does it equate to shredding the constitution and civil liberties.  I try and keep perspective.  I have many friends and relatives that have served in the armed forces.  Some have sacrificed their lives in Iraq.  Attending a ball is not the same as needlessly sending them into harms way. While the halo effect has been mentioned as in regards to Obama, the devil horns effect can also come into play.

I like the larger things that have been done.  No official policy of torture.  Closing official extra judicial prisons.  No domestic wiretaps without a FISA warrant.  The closing of Gitmo and trials for the detainees.  The new official policy of the new interpretation of the Freedom of Information Act.  I am a firm believer in the openness of government and due process rights.  I have been waiting for these for a long time and am happier with these things. 

Dog

I'm still completely disgusted that Obama did not attend the military event. So he sent Biden. He doesn't even like Biden from I can tell. Obama should have been there! Who's our Commander and Chief?! It's like he's still campaigning.

karnf

Right On Dog! Call it was it is? He had time for the other balls(10) Neighborhood, Home State-Hawaii/Illinois,
Home Sate-Delaware/Pennsylvannia, Youth etc. His actions speaks louder the words when he didn't make
time to honor the medal receipents but went to balls that had many hiphop and soul performers where he
spent many hours. He did make a brief stop in the Mid Atlantic Region Ball. No other president has missed
the Honorary Ball since it was formed in President Eisenhower's Inauguration.

glenn kangiser

I'm sorry people but this is all news to me.   

I was not aware that politicians had balls. [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

fishing_guy

A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Terry

Terry

Born Free - Taxed To Death

Redoverfarm

Glenn when the good Lord made politicians he gave them a choice. B or B.  Most thought it was better suited to have balls rather than brains.  That is why they are always in trouble with the opposite sex.  It sure isn't their brains.

Dog

Glenn...only you can make me laugh at something that really pisses me off. I can't get over this one and our new fearless leader just started!  >:(

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Redoverfarm on February 11, 2009, 05:30:34 PM
Glenn when the good Lord made politicians he gave them a choice. B or B.  Most thought it was better suited to have balls rather than brains.  That is why they are always in trouble with the opposite sex.  It sure isn't their brains.

What about Barney Frank and Mayor Becker?

...and  sorry 'bout that, Dog.  d*  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Squirl