My Favorite, Most Fun to Use, Tool

Started by MountainDon, November 29, 2011, 12:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herb Maniac

Quote from: knightbuild on September 19, 2013, 11:15:58 PM
Before I opened this thread, my first thought was that my favorite tool has to be one of my chainsaws.  They can be extremely brutal and destructive, and two seconds later, intricate and subtle.  Always been a Stihl fan myself.  As far as a more construction oriented tool, that would have to be the framing square.  After actually learning all the different functions I realized what an amazing tool it is.
I always preferred Husqvarna saws. They make way better pro/power user saws than Stihl.
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/
The purpose of our lives is to be happy. - Dalai Lama

GaryT

Inside, my very old Craftsman table saw.  Outside, my very old Kubota 4-wheel drive tractor with front end loader.
Gary

rick91351

Quote from: Herb Maniac on April 06, 2016, 12:35:50 PM
I always preferred Husqvarna saws. They make way better pro/power user saws than Stihl.
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/

Round here in these parts sorry Stihl still rules
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Adam Roby

I am planning to rent a small excavator soon... I have a sneaking feeling that will become my favorite tool... but I'll report back when I actually get some seat time.

bayview

Outside:   Skid Steer
Inside:   Router

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Dave Sparks

Quote from: Adam Roby on April 06, 2016, 07:12:17 PM
I am planning to rent a small excavator soon... I have a sneaking feeling that will become my favorite tool... but I'll report back when I actually get some seat time.

They are nice but I still like my "red Devil" flame thrower for killing weeds when I don't want to use an herbicide. Propane at $1.29 yippee!
"we go where the power lines don't"

DaveOrr

I have a lot of favorite tools.  ;D

My chop saw.
My Yamaha generator that runs it at the cabin.
My mig welder.
But my favorite stationary tool is this guy.

My favorite portable tools are my laser level and 20V impact driver.   :)
Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

Woodsrule

Inside tool is my drawknife - it can be used in many different ways and the smell of fresh shavings can't be beat.

Outside tool is my Echo chainsaw- leading to more stock for my inside tool!

Herb Maniac

Quote from: rick91351 on April 06, 2016, 06:26:54 PM
Round here in these parts sorry Stihl still rules
Oh no, not this fight again.  >:( d*
The purpose of our lives is to be happy. - Dalai Lama

Don_P

Thanks for the reminder, just made a note to self  ;D. My favorite tool at the moment, a running chainsaw. Need to stop tomorrow and get a new fuel line and filter... ethanol  :P

rick91351

Quote from: Herb Maniac on April 11, 2016, 01:59:42 PM
Oh no, not this fight again.  >:( d*

Oh no no fight from me - I am running an Echo with a little 24 inch bar.  I am getting to where I like the saw.  Ran a Homelite before that.  Wore it out after about fifteen - twenty years.  My saw guy he put it on the back-shelf and found the parts and put it back together.  I still run it from time to time.  Best saw I ever ran. Its my old faller friends that have that fight.....  they have so much disrespect for my Echo they quit fighting about Stihl and Husky and give it the evil eye...... ;)

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

hpinson

I use a 24" Echo too. It's a great saw!  I like it much better than the equivalent Stihl which I was able to try out before purchase - it seems to be built better and does not have that strange choke/ throttle system that Stihl has gone to which I found really annoying in use.   The Echo is super easy to maintain too - oil holes are very well placed and the air filter is very easy to change.  Chain removal is a breeze.  It was a good purchase and has seen lots of use in two years now. Not a single problem.

I have an old Homelite as well, and it just keeps running.

I think my favorite tool is the little Honda eu2000 generator.  That thing is amazing and makes so much possible. Love how it always starts and justs hums along quietly, while allowing use of chop saws and such.

The Prazi lathe above is sweet!

rick91351

With me my favorite tool is dictated by the season:

I never fell a tree I remember of with one of those old misery whips my dad and his brother fell with.  I have several of those old saw that are still in very good shape.  So chain saws are nice.  I have split a small mountain of wood with a couple wedges and a 'double jack'.  But then last year we bought a splitter.  So that was pretty nice.  When the force of a real winter hit last year all the wood was split and under cover so my favorite turned to biggest snow blower Ariens made last year.  And my old fourwheeler with the six foot snow plow. Sometimes when it gets crazy my big HP old International tractor chained up with the pusher wedge snowplow on it.  (Home made over at the neighbors shop).  I kept the road open to the neighbors last year with that.   But those favorite tools give way in the spring time to two different size Troy Built Tillers and not so much shovels and spading forks to get the garden in shape.   ???  So I guess just pray a prayer of thanks and count my many blessings.... pumping water under pressure is nice - no carrying it to the garden.  Running stock water in to tanks......WOW Toilet flushes.....  knew a lot of old folk when I was young that never had that..... Sawmills readily available, plug in a worm drive saw or a sidewinder pull the trigger.....  blade spins..... now that is nice.  Don't over look your blessings my friends!

bayview

You're right!

We do have a tendency to overlook modern conveniences.

My parents grew up without indoor plumbing, pressure water, electric . . .

Somethings I have just taken for granted . . .

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Redoverfarm

I like them all.  ;D  There are still a couple that i don't have yet. Some day maybe.  Seems like over the years I have accumulated a variety of tools that makes everything so much easier to build, repair or fabricate.  But Motorized take presidence.  ;)

bac4uw

I bought a brush cutter off of Craigslist recently... it is the favorite tool of both me and my wife. It'll cut through blackberry bushes, small wannabee trees (4-6" in diameter), tall grass... super helpful towards maintaining our lot.

http://maruyama-us.com/landscape-equipment/
--Bryan

DaveOrr

I just got a new box to put my tools in.  :)

My old box will find a new home out @ the cabin.
Cause you need tools there too!!!!!   ;)
Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

Redoverfarm

This would be my favorite tool box.  But I guess I would probably think of it as a piece of art and hang it in my living room.  Watch the video ( listed below the photograph).  A lot of thought went into this.

http://twistedsifter.com/2013/07/ho-studley-tool-chest/

Don_P

The magazine issue when that pic was on the back stayed around for a long time. Notice his masons shrine and the one for his block plane. Amazing workmanship.

I was ripping a bunch of plump 8/4 red and white oak this week on the tablesaw and it just wasn't up to it. I bought the saw when I was 15 and I have remotored it several times, the beauty of a belt drive saw. The compressor had a reversible 5 horse motor and I really don't need its output anymore, there's a 2 horse and with a smaller drive pulley I think it can turn the compressor, simply slower. So the tablesaw got a 240 volt 5 horse capacitor start/run big honkin oak eating bored and blueprinted big block. It ripped through so much wood I think the sawdust is packed on the backside of my eyeballs. The only downside I see is hopefully the trunnions and undercarriage of the saw can handle the weight.

John Raabe

What a beauty! A lot of love and time went into that toolbox.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

I just got an older one of these for $140.... I like it...... self propelled makes all the difference.  I mowed enough in one day to at least slow the fire police down from giving me a ticket I think.... and be a bit safer too... [ouch]

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Dave Sparks

I think mine is less fun to use than your Glen....  What make is that? Echo??
"we go where the power lines don't"