Hows the weather?

Started by astidham, September 28, 2010, 01:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

I think the weather has finally made a turn around toward Fall/Winter the last couple of days.  This morning the temperature was 46F.  Daytime temps are holding in the mid 70's.  Great working weather.  Boy I have a lot to get done to try to beat winters arrival.

rick91351

Boise Valley is pretty normal for this time of the year.  Nineties during the day cooling to the sixties at night.  No moisture in sight 10% chance at the most.
Up where the mountain property is eighties and fifties.  Maybe 20% chance of moisture.

This is good because right now when it does put down moisture it comes complete with lighting.  We did have a lighting stom the other night.  One of our ranch friends lost 11 sections of winter grazing which equals 7040 acres.  So now they have to buy high priced hay, and build a lot of fence back.  They are very smart operatiors it was insured but that is a lot of work putting in that much fence.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

peternap

Quote from: Redoverfarm on August 23, 2011, 04:45:15 AM
I think the weather has finally made a turn around toward Fall/Winter the last couple of days.  This morning the temperature was 46F.  Daytime temps are holding in the mid 70's.  Great working weather.  Boy I have a lot to get done to try to beat winters arrival.

Still holding in the 89's here but getting better.

The big concern now is Hurricane Irene. It is looking like it's going to strengthen to cat 4 and come inland through NC. The farm is on the NC line and right in it's path and the burb house was hit by Isabel when it came ashore.

Isabel took much the same path and was not as strong. I've been through major floods, blizzards and smaller hurricanes but have never been as nervous as I waited out that night with Isabel hammering the mature trees around the house.

The next day, it looked like an atomic bomb had gone off all the way to the coast,
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

We wish you the best of luck Peter.

We now have had 2 1/2 inches total rain in our part of the Jemez. Doesn't sound like much, and it isn't, but the fire danger has been downgraded to Moderate now. Much better than the summer full of Extreme.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on August 23, 2011, 09:13:39 AM
We wish you the best of luck Peter.

We now have had 2 1/2 inches total rain in our part of the Jemez. Doesn't sound like much, and it isn't, but the fire danger has been downgraded to Moderate now. Much better than the summer full of Extreme.

Thanks Don! The biggest problem I have now is getting things ready. I need to sharpen the chains on the saws and just haven't gotten the energy up. This couldn't have picked a worse weekend because my glucose has just gone crazy this week. I haven't eaten anything other than enough water to float a battleship, for 3 days....and five minutes ago it's still 439. I have a lot of motivation right now and that's about all that's keeping me moving.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Hope it turns and stays up the coast.  Maybe it will look ahead and realize a stubborn old man lives that direction and we best not mess with him.  ;)

peternap

Quote from: Redoverfarm on August 23, 2011, 11:54:16 AM
Hope it turns and stays up the coast.  Maybe it will look ahead and realize a stubborn old man lives that direction and we best not mess with him.  ;)

We just had a pretty big earthquake. I've never been through one before. Cell phones don't work... c*
Might be the end. ;D

Squirl

Yup, up the entire east coast. First one of those I can remember.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

False alarm. It wasn't an earthquake.

I just it was the dollar hitting rock bottom. ;D

Redoverfarm

Heavy Dollar Bills. Some say it was felt as far West as we are.  But I couldn't tell I was mowing a friends yard  (rough). 

Native_NM

Quote from: peternap on August 23, 2011, 01:42:13 PM
False alarm. It wasn't an earthquake.

I just it was the dollar hitting rock bottom. ;D

No, that would be a 9.0 at least.  You will hear millions of Americans scream "Oh Fukushima!" in unison.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

Rob_O

The wheel of weather is predicting highs in the mid 80's and lows in the mid 60's with no rain this weekend. I plan to make the most of it
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

Squirl

Everyone now is in a panic over a hurricane.  ???

MountainDon

Well, some of us "countryplanners" might be in more danger than others.

Me; since the east coast earthquake the local news media is somewhat abuzz about the "past dueness" of a Rio Grande Valley earthquake. While it might be an exciting life experience, I'd rather take a rain check on that. Anyhow it all gives me new food for thought on the fact that our mountains are in a seismic C zone. Not the worst, but not a "what me worry?" zone either.

peternap

It was an eye opener in a lot of ways Don. First, we had it and Jane said "What's going on" after a few seconds I figured it out and said "Earthquake I guess".

After a few minutes the news went crazy ...EARTHQUAKE....5.9.....on and on as if the state was in shambles. The truth is, it was a non event. New Yorkers started doing what they do best. Whining! They still are, now about the Hurricane which may really cause some problems, but also something we live with every year.

I also firmed up some ideas about buildings (John may have a stroke). Pole foundations (IMO) rule. The farm house and every other pole building I looked at, just went with the shaking and didn't even crack a wall seam.... but most of the damage I've seen was a direct result of masonry foundations cracking and crumbling.

I looked at one yesterday where the chimney had broken off and fallen through the roof. When I looked for a cause, the foundation had a crack with a 4 inch gap in it. It wasn't the chimney that moved, it was the house.

Last, I am getting my annual education about people. Country people and even burbanites who are more independent, just handle problems as they come. Everyone else looks to the government to do something.

OlJarhead

Here in the desert of Eastern Wa and Eastern OR (yes we actually have a desert out here) we've been having the coolest summer since 1993...crazy huh?

rick91351

Quote from: OlJarhead on August 26, 2011, 12:41:16 PM
Here in the desert of Eastern Wa and Eastern OR (yes we actually have a desert out here) we've been having the coolest summer since 1993...crazy huh?

You can include the deserts of western Idaho as well.  It is finely getting around to being hot here. 

Oh my gosh you don't don't suppose this is the start of global cooling that will lead to a new ice age and Washington, Oregon and Idaho will be the pivot point so quick everyone panic or wait -   [waiting] we can just ski down and see Mountain Don....   [slap]
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

Quote from: rick91351 on August 26, 2011, 12:57:48 PM
You can include the deserts of western Idaho as well.  It is finely getting around to being hot here. 

Oh my gosh you don't don't suppose this is the start of global cooling that will lead to a new ice age and Washington, Oregon and Idaho will be the pivot point so quick everyone panic or wait -   [waiting] we can just ski down and see Mountain Don....   [slap]
;D d*

Somebody call Al Gore!  Oh wait, he's too busy flying jets around and building monster mansions with all the money he's earning selling his tripe.... ::) :o

gandalfthegrey

San Bernadino mountians Possible thunder storms and 110 degrees.  I can see thunder heads there from my front door.  I got the 110 but no rain. ???
Bad Wolf

Redoverfarm

28F this morning with a heavy frost.   I am so not ready for Winter yet.   :(

considerations

It finally rained yesterday, after 2 weeks of blazingly sunny days.  This frog was blistering in the heat...which meant highs in the low 80's....ok so that seems cool to many of you.  For this area, it qualifies as hot.

peternap

Quote from: Redoverfarm on September 16, 2011, 07:50:45 AM
28F this morning with a heavy frost.   I am so not ready for Winter yet.   :(

The mountains are ahead of me John.
It was cool her but never got below 40. I'm not quite ready for winter either but fall is looking good!

gandalfthegrey

Finally...two days of marine layer.  Nice and cool ..  upper 40s last night. 50s this morning. c*
Bad Wolf

MountainDon

Definitly fall weather. Cooler. 77 right now here in the burbs and 54 at the cabin. The lowest cabin weather temp so far has been 40. Here last night it dropped to 53. Had a little rain, maybe more this evening.