Moonlight Falls

Started by peternap, April 30, 2009, 03:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Peter watch walking around near water in the dark.  You have a history with water. Remember ;D

MountainDon

Or have you really been fooling around?

Day for Night.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

That one's broad daylight!
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

... suspected as much.  :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

What I did was add a layer to the picture and bring up the midtone levels. This gave the splashes that sparkley look. Then I added another layer and adjusted the curves on each color to remove the amount of color I wanted.

Then I used the unsharp mask to make the drops stand out like they were catching moonlight.

Can't trust anything you see anymore.

peternap

bayview

Almost appears as it's "frozen" in time . . .
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MountainDon

Nothing new, except now it's easy for anyone to do that in post-production. In most real night shots the water over the falls would have have blurring. Try lassoing the falls and using a filter on that area.

Way back (30 - 35 years ago) when I was messing with Super 8 sound we used a blue filter plus underexposure to simulate night.

FWIW, many of the night scenes in Jaws used this technique.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on April 30, 2009, 05:42:28 PM
Nothing new, except now it's easy for anyone to do that in post-production. In most real night shots the water over the falls would have have blurring. Try lassoing the falls and using a filter on that area.

Way back (30 - 35 years ago) when I was messing with Super 8 sound we used a blue filter plus underexposure to simulate night.

FWIW, many of the night scenes in Jaws used this technique.

This the method to get the silky effect your talking about Don.
1-set levels (midtone) slider so photo goes brighter (1.44)
2-set gaussian blur radius slider to (15.85)px and opacity slider to (100)%
3-go into blending mode and select (multiply)
4-readjust level sliders if necessary
5-color adjustment (set WB to warmer and turn down the saturation) for muted tones

MountainDon

go for it...   ;)

Isn't Photoshop wonderful. I know I've barely scratched the surface.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on April 30, 2009, 09:05:46 PM
go for it...   ;)

Isn't Photoshop wonderful. I know I've barely scratched the surface.

I didn't do this picture Don, but this is what the above method will  give you. You do need to start with a slower shutter speed so you don't have the mid air captures like mine.

MountainDon

Yeah!  [cool]

That's the kind of stuff I used to lug a 8 lb Manfrotto tripod around for. Now I see they make them from carbon fiber.  :D

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on April 30, 2009, 09:55:38 PM
Yeah!  [cool]

That's the kind of stuff I used to lug a 8 lb Manfrotto tripod around for. Now I see they make them from carbon fiber.  :D

I went back to the 8 pound Manfrotto (I can shoot from it too)

This is one I did a lighter blur to:

MountainDon

:-\   
input levels reset: 73  1.44   229
motion blur: -83 degrees,   distance 9 pixel;   then repeated for a second application
color balance adjustment:  +20 blue
Plus I used the cloning tool to remove a left foreground hot spot as well as darken down the area just above where the water spills over the top.

??? ???

MountainDon

More motion blur added to the main vertical water fall area, but not the foreground water.   ???

Having too much fun here. I should go get the guns ready for some practice tomorrow; print some more targets.

peternap

Quote from: MountainDon on May 01, 2009, 08:25:28 PM

More motion blur added to the main vertical water fall area, but not the foreground water.   ???

Having too much fun here. I should go get the guns ready for some practice tomorrow; print some more targets.

It's addictive...Wait until you start HDR ;D

MountainDon

Peter, I'm still pluggin' along in Photoshop 7.0.1 (circa 2002)   :o :o :o      ;D

BobHHowell

This is a combo panorama and HDR (3 pictures wide) made from 3 HDR photos. So, this took 9 exposures.

Cuyahoga River

This is the river that "caught on fire" in 1969.  The river really is this crooked.  The bend is not created as a function of the panorama.

PhotoMatix Basic is free and available at hdrsoft.com [hdrsoft.com]

BobHHowell

Another HDR taken of the river.

peternap

Very nice Bob! You must have the paid version. Mine puts a watermark on the picture.

rick91351

Love the photos, great work guys.

I wonder what Ansel Adams would say now?  I have a feeling it ain't good.  He thought 35MM was going to kill photography.  Electronic media would have surely have sent him to the moon.  But then that might not be bad.  Think of the photo-opts!

[cool]

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

I love meandering rivers.

Re Ansel Adams: First, I love his work; he had quite the eye and talent.

However, he did a lot of his own manipulating back then as well. The difference was tht his was done in the dark room, 'dodging' light as the paper was exposed to the light from the negative, 'burning' in areas that needed extra exposure, even getting hands in the developer solution to rub and add some body heat to a certain area. I've done all those and more myself.

BobHHowell

I have the free version of the hdr software.

I have done the darkroom bit too -- and I did it enough not to miss it.  I have developed all the tri-x film and printed on all the medalist paper I care to.

Since Ansel was into the exactness of exposure and "zones" -- I think he would appreciate the HDR aspect of digital photography.