Are there any web designers out here

Started by peternap, July 29, 2008, 07:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

Peter trying to move up. Shoot I am doing good just getting logged on and checking my e-mails.

peternap

Quote from: Redoverfarm on July 29, 2008, 07:19:22 AM
Peter trying to move up. Shoot I am doing good just getting logged on and checking my e-mails.

Old Virginia needs a facelift Red. The campaigning has started already and I'd like to put on a better show this year. :)
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

Quote from: John C on July 29, 2008, 07:21:20 AM
What do you need?

Nothing real complicated John.

This is Old Va News
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GAGO.PK

I want a facelift and need to change the sub domain from news. to oldvirginianews. That's pretty simple and I can do that but I don't know how forward to the new site.

I also want to put in good picture/hosting software for my use. Photoshop restricts me too much and coppermine, which I'm using now, leaves something to be desired.

It's nothing I can't do if I get the time to play with it.

John_C

You've confused me a bit Peter.

This a Yahoo site?
QuoteThis is Old Va News
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GAGO.PK

In what way does Photoshop restrict you?  I live in Photoshop.  The full version is the most powerful image editing software available.  If there is something you want to do in Photoshop I can probably give you some tips.

John

peternap

:-[ John, when I was actively involved with computers (Old days) I had a code called error 16. I displayed it often for people. It means...Loose nut behind the keyboard. This was an error 16

That link was where I was looking at stock information ???

This is Old Virginia
http://news.oldva.org/

Sorry [slap]

John_C

I googled it.

There would be a couple ways to forward  people to the new URL.  One would be to keep a splash page at  the current URL that informs people of the change and put a redirect in the header so the will be transferred to the new location in a couple seconds.  You can keep that permanently or mention on the slash page that  they should update their links ... the delete the old sub directory in 6 - 12 months.

I've got to leave soon but I'll check back later.  Photoshop question?

John_C

I looked at my web host and even for a subdomain you can specify a redirect at the host level.  That would be a faster redirect than what I described above.

peternap

God, I'm having a bad day........error 16

Not photoshop, photobucket :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

muldoon

From what I understand you currently have the oldva.org domain.  With that you have defined a subdomain news which you use as a wordpress blog site.  The site is hosted by Bluehost and was created back around Setember 2007.  I am not a web designer, I am a network engineer.  I use bluehost as well for my personal webspace and for the software company I own (dbapsoftware.com) (my side business).  I have been using them for a few years with good luck. 

1) From that you want to change news.oldva.org to oldvirginianews.oldva.org. 
Go to http://www.bluehost.com/ and login to the control panel. 
From there, go to Domains, then click on Subdomains
I get this as the URL after logging in:
http://login.bluehost.com/frontend/bluehost/subdomain/index.html

On the top line put oldvirginianews (then it should have . oldva.org)
Look at the bottom section, there will be an entry for news, copy the same document root for the new entry. 
Both news and oldvirginanews should now work. 

2)  The second thing was a new image gallery.  I'm not sure what the limitation is with coppermine, I personally use Singapore.  You can see what I use at www.loopy.org/pictures   However, I installed it myself so that might not be a great fit for you.  The easiest way would be to go back to the bluehost control panel and look for the section Software/Services.  Click "SimpleScripts"  and use it to install another image gallery package.  They haveZenphoto and pixelpost now as well. 

3) You said you wanted a facelift on the actual site.  There are hundreds of "Themes" for wordpress, you need to just play around and experiment with some to see what you like.  Perhaps start by reading a tutorial on changing your theme
http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/wordpress/wordpress_themes.htm

Then go googleing around for wordpress themes you can download free.  If you want to buy one custom then thats an option as well. 

Hope that gets you some ideas. 

John_C

I don't know anything about photobucket.   You can just create a directory on your web site and upload the pic to that directory(ies).   Others here use various online host.  I've never been impressed when I read their terms of use.  In many cases you grant them the rights to your images just by using their service. 

I presume you already have an FTP program?

peternap

Thanks muldoon. The redirect was my 2end biggest concern. When I started this, I was just playing. People started reading it though and when they would look for old virginia news, nothing came up. I've added sub domains several times and hadn't noticed the redirect option.
BTW, good looking family! ;)

John, the biggest problem with picture hosting is video. Photobucket both restricts the resolution and won't allow video with copyright tags..even though I purchased the music.

Youtube cuts the resolution badly.

The hosting software I'm using on site is top heavy and cumbersome and buggy....and needs an upgrade to do video. I send a lot of raw video to some gamecamera manufacturers for use on their sites. I just upload it to my FTP site for them to get. I don't think I can play it from there though.

peternap

Gee....I just talked to Bluehost. I'd forgotten how good their tech support is. I don't need to have a hosting program. just use a helper program to play it or embedd the video.

BH directed me to W3schools.
http://www.w3schools.com/media/media_browservideos.asp

Great site!

Thanks guys!