20 X 36 1 1/2 story in north Georgia

Started by C.White, June 17, 2007, 01:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

CWhite

Not much finished this last week with much needed rain and the holiday. 
I do have a question about mini split systems to heat and cool without ducts.  Does anyone have any experience with these units?  I'm considering putting one upstairs, but was surprised at the $1200.00 price tag.  I don't really need the heater as much as the air conditioner part to cool the upstairs and make it a good place to sleep in the summer.  Since I'm in the south, it do get hot!

Some of the siding has been put on and some of the doors installed.  I hope to take more pictures tomorrow after the tin roof goes on. 
Thanks for any input about the split system.
Christina

CWhite

I posted a few more photos of today's progress on the snapfish.com pages.

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=180749658/a=85820999_85820999/t_=85820999

The edging on the tin roof is in place, and they will start putting tin up tomorrow.
Also, the cypress siding is going on the side of the bedroom and the back.  We alternated from board and baton to lap siding around the house, and then will put shingles on the front gable and the shed roof.  The cypress looks terrific. 

I'm carving the pieces that will fix over the doors, and we will install a carved piece across the top of the porch too.  Those details should be in place later this week.
Christina

Sassy

Looks tremendous, Christina!  I like the way you are doing a combination of board & batten, shiplap & the shingles will really add a nice touch - ya got good design, gal!   [cool]
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

John Raabe

Very nice project and thanks for the good photos!

I uploaded some of your earlier images to PhotoBucket and then pasted the URL in between the image brackets (2nd from left on bottom row of buttons) so they are easier to view.

John
None of us are as smart as all of us.

williet

I love this house, Thanks for posting the pictures.

I'm in North East Alabama, where in N. Ga.? Are y'all allowing a drive by look?

CWhite

HI Williet,
I don't mind if you come look.  We are a pretty long way from Alabama.   The house is right behind my business that is open to the public 6 days a week from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, with a sculpture garden between the two buildings. 
Folks see it all the time.

The business has a directions page at:
http://www.funkychickenartproject.com/dir.htm

We are 4 miles from Amicalola Falls State Park. 
Christina

williet

Hi,
Thanks...the next time we drive The Chieftains Trail we might just look you up. The ride covers several cities in N.E. Ga. and  comes close. That part of Ga. is beautiful!

We are in Jackson Co...and go to Gadsden in Etowah Co. by way of Ft. Payne, DeKalb Co. often...so it's really not all that far. hour and a half or so.....

You mentioned several "site" changes to the house after you started....what were they?

CWhite

WillieT,
You're welcome anytime.  You may even enjoy the gallery. 

The site changes involved a wall that was put up around the stairs that were not planned.  The plans we drew up were misinterpreted by the framing crew at first, and after we went over them, all has gone smoothly except having to move two windows further apart, and lower some others after they were framed. 
Christina

desdawg

Very, very, very nice Christina! I like it and I can see why you are pleased.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

williet

The house is great. Siding looks just right. Thanks for the pictures....

CWhite

I just posted  new pictures to my snapfish.com account (link in another message)...
The siding is almost finished. 
Christina

williet

Sassy

Just looked at the newest pix, Christina - your place is so cute!   :)  Really making some progress  8)

mvk

Christina
I think your place is just about perfect. Love the pourches, addition, the 3 types of siding and the little room over the addition in particular.
That little piece of trim on edge at the corners and widows is that your idea or just how they do it down your way for the siding? Love your gardens to.
Mike

CWhite

Hi Sassy and Mike,
Thanks for the comments.  It is turning out to be even better than I thought it would so far.
We had another "site change" yesterday.  I decided that I want the kitchen more open, and the closet that I had them put in just blocks it off too much.  I want to extend the counter top over a cabinet there, so they are taking the water heater closet out.  The water heater will now go upstairs in what we are calling the Hobbit room above the bedroom.  I'm pleased with this new development.  Sometimes you just have to change things after you put them there to look at.  I'll use the wood, so there won't be any waste. 

Also, the gable in the front is being shingled today, which means they got my last 4 windows in place (I spent several days pre-painting them) and my hand-carved and painted trim went up.  It won't show up in the pictures yet, because the walk board is in the way.   They have agreed to leave the walk board for me to seal the cypress siding without having to hang from the roof by my toes. 

I am really happy with the upstairs now.  The flooring is tongue and groove pine that is exposed from under neith.  They are putting the wall up for the bath and closet today too that is up there.  The claw foot bath tub that I bought off of craigslist.com is now ready.  I sanded, primed, and put two coats of rustoleum green paint on it and then silver leafed the claw feet.  It will look very comfortable up there. 

This is a full time job for me. 

Oh, thanks about the gardens.  The red fence will have to be repaired, but will stay there.  The house is behind my business, and the fence will help keep the customers out.  I hope.
Christina

teacher2

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!  I have been watching your amazing progress.  Your pictures upstairs really gave me a visual of how much room there is. We are in the pre-planning stage of the 1 and 1/2 plan (20 by 40) with a full upstairs like yours, but I need to know the square feet of the upstairs.  Can anyone tell me the "rules" of calculating the square feet with the sloped ceiling?

Thanks

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

CWhite

Howdy,
I've posted more pictures in my snapfish.com account again, and this week, the porch railings are finished, and some exterior details are done.

http://www2.snapfish.com/share/p=244101197321181693/l=333239845/g=85820999/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

Also, I've incorporated a peep hole or maybe a nook, in the stairwell wall to fan the hot air through the wall from the wood stove, where we put the leftover tongue and groove flooring, .  I wish I could afford to put wooden walls throughout the entire house, but my budget won't include it.  Except for a few touches, the walls will be sheet rock. 

The porches are now awesome!  The railings completed them very nicely. 
I am so ready to live in a house again, but I still have a long way to go.

I have to build all of the lower kitchen cabinets, the built in book shelves (better than last time), box beds, and lot of shelves in the bathrooms and closets myself.  I am a carver, not a woodworker, but I'm up for the challenge.
Christina

John_M

Wow, looks great.

Is that beveled cedar on the bottom?  Is it already stained or were you going to stain it once it was up?

Once again....looks great!! [cool]
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

CWhite

HI John,
I'm not sure where you mean about the cedar in your question.
"Is that beveled cedar on the bottom?  Is it already stained or were you going to stain it once it was up?"
The pickets on the porch are cedar.  The siding is all cypress, even the shingles.  I don't know where "on the bottom" is...
Christina

John_M

ooops...sorry.  I meant the siding that you used on the cabin.  Now that I think about it, it did go all the way to the top (long day!!) d*.  It is the long, horizontally run siding.  Just wondering what wood it was and if it was stained or will be stained or just left natural!!
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

CWhite

I meant the siding that you used on the cabin. 

It is all cypress head to toe....:)  When we got all of the price quotes, it cost us about $450.00 more to do cypress than pine, and less than cedar.  Another advantage is the thickness is greater than the cedar, and it is low maintenance.  We have a bunch of the shakes left over and might use them when we build a tower near the house. 
We will be sealing it with an oil based clear sealer of an undetermined brand in the near future.  Looking into candidates very soon. 

I feel like a proud mom of this house. 
Even the guys working on it really like it a lot.  It is very unconventional compared to what they usually build. 
I give them a great deal of credit for the fine craftsmanship of their work. 
Christina

Sassy

All I can say is "I love it"   Beautiful wood work & one of my favorite colors  :)  That porch will be absolutely wonderful to sit out on. 

CWhite

Thanks Sassy,
The framing crew packed up and left this morning, and I'm kind of sad to see them go.  They were great guys, and a lot of fun.  I baked a pound cake for them as an additional thank you for doing such wonderful work.

There is of course, so much left to do, but we're seeing so much rapid progress right now it's really exciting.
Lots of customized detailing will be inside as well.
Christina