Books of Interest & Book Search Link

Started by glenn-k, March 23, 2005, 09:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Here is an area where you can post reviews and comments regarding books of interest to you or this forum.  If you have found a particular book helpful, let others know.

Books purchased through John's link below help support this site.  If John hasn't listed a book in his reviews, use the Amazon link at the bottom of his book page to search for what you want and support this site.  Books cost the same through this link as any other way you get there, but their purchase here helps to keep this site free for the ones who use it.  Any book on any subject can be purchased through this link.

I'm here because of Ken Kern's books, so I'll start it out by recommending them.

Ken Kern Books

Many of Ken's books are available used.  Ken traveled all over the world documenting low cost ways of doing things and published them in his "Owner Built" series.   There is a lot of alternative building information there but there are also many alternative ways of doing standard building construction.  Guaranteed interesting and valuable  reading.

Thanks again to John for this free place to share information.

John's Book Review & Search Link:

http://www.countryplans.com/books.html

Amanda_931

This place doesn't like me tonight!  I keep losing posts.  (Actually I think it's the Mouse with a "back" button in an awkward place)

Ken Kern books can be gotten in the used market.  Sometimes at collector's item prices.  Try Amazon, Powell's and Alibris.

www.dirtcheapbuilder.com carries some.   She used to have new old stock.  Now mostly reprints.  Here's a message she posted a couple of months ago to a list about the masonry stove book:

But anyone can get it direct by calling Barbara Kern's daughter Heidi Kern Huebner who is now running the reprint business. 559-323-8559 PST CLovis CA

I've been happily reading another Christopher.  Day, not Alexander.

Amazon (sometimes called the 500 pound gorilla) carries two, both pretty well recommended:

Places of the Soul would be the earlier one except that there is a second edition which is the one for sale.  I haven't seen the new edition, been a long time since I read the older one.

My truck book recently has been Spirit and Place  Interesting book.  Maybe more about communities that we're likely to need, but still interesting.

(I've always got a book with me, generally at least one each in the truck and the car)

Amanda_931

More books, these from the all-natural front:

I really do like Tony Wrench's book.  He tells us how to make--but not how to figure the math--on a reciprocating roof.  Here's the Amazon link.   Not sure why they have tarpaper or plastic bags hanging from a window in the most recent photo, but the story as of last weekend is below the link after the book.  Wrench's house looks sturdy.  Some of the other ones built on the same lines in the area do not.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1856230198/qid%3D1111669029/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-3912253-9893536

Tony Wrench's round house in Wales is still up.

He's been fighting that all this century.  The latest, described by IndyMedia as a "fluffy demonstration" involving a Yurt being set up in the police parking lot, is described here:

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sheffield/2004/04/289349.html

Probably one of the links below the story will mention that the planning commission wanted low-impact house--just like the near McMansion that is visible from the round house.

Speaking of the Welch,  let's put a link in to one of Ianto Evans' books.

The Hand Sculpted House.   Kind of the cob bible.  By Evans along with Michael Smith, Linda Smiley and an illustrator who might be responsible for a picture in there of round rocks in the foundation of a house.  I hadn't noticed this, someone did the "Ianto Says" (so it must be the gospel truth!) bit, citing this as why he should be gathering round rocks.  All the wall builders' books I've read say that this is a no-no.  For the same reason that round sand is a no-no.  There are a few goofs on that order.  Enough that you need at least one other book, better yet, a workshop--maybe with Glen!

But it sweeps you along with the vision.  And gives you a lot of ideas for siting, designing VERY small houses.   So I tend to recommend it even if you have no desire to become a happy cobber.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1890132349/qid=1111669788/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-3912253-9893536

glenn-k

I think the Amazon links posted here may track us individually through cookies, so it would be best for us to post book names and information here but search it through the link I posted above on John's book page to order, so the site gets credit.

Amanda_931

I was hoping that once you got to Amazon through John's page, you could put anything in and it would count.

That might be too simple for us, and too hard for a computer.

But it's certainly a good idea to put the information--author, and title at least, when we describe a book.

Do you get told about benefiting John (or Kelly Hart or whoever) when you order through the website?  I never have, but I'm not sure I've done it very often.

I'd kind of doubt that used books count.

(I've gotten notes from one of the used book places that they would greatly appreciate it if next time I ordered directly from them and not let Amazon get its cut.  One of the reasons the last couple of used books I've gotten came from alibris.  A friend both buys and sells on half.com a lot)

glenn-k

I just went and rechecked to verify that if I search through John's link, Amazon knows what I searched yesterday due to a cookie they put on my computer, so my search link to their page will differ from your search link even if we go through John's link.  The benefit is that they can tailor it to me -what I like and bring up my payment information, orders, etc.  Best if we post the info rather than a link to the page we arrived at to be safe.  When I searched the same book you did yesterday my page address was different than yours for the same book.

There will be no notice to us that it benefits John, however just as they know what books we like, they know we got there from John's site referral.  Probably all in the cookies.

I think that when it goes from John's link to Amazon then to the used book places Amazon takes their cut from the used or new book sale then credits John his commission for his share of their partnership.  Going direct to the book store for new or used will cut Johns commission out although you will probably not see a difference in price and you will not benefit from finding a good used book cheaper at another store.  Amazon collects information from all over and lets us pick which one we want.  An individual store will not do that.

The book store would be happier but John would not receive a commission for maintaining the site (paying expenses) that referred us to them.  I feel this is a good way to help John keep this site from costing him an excessive amount of money as we do get to talk about nearly anything that can be remotely construed to be about building a house or cabin and much of it is for our benefit rather than his.  I say this as one company sent me a receipt showing the Amazon cut they would not mind keeping.  They are probably not aware that we wouldn't have found them if we didn't have these discussions in our forum.

As an aside from that though, hopefully a large group of interested people will come here, who would not otherwise come here due to the freedom we have to explore different subjects-- they will proceed to buy all John's plans, make him very rich, and to show his appreciation he will take us all out to lunch. ;D

Okay -so everyone already thinks I am out to lunch :-/

DavidLeBlanc

At one time, amazon was dabbling with what they call "zone pricing" in the grocery world. That's a scheme that sets prices based on one's ability to pay - stores in more affluent neighborhoods often have higher prices for the exact same products (although, prices on some things are actually lower in the higher prices stores because they are bought more than they are stolen, as they might be in a poorer neighborhood!)

In amazon's case, they where using zip codes to determine pricing. If your zip code covers an affluent neighborhood, you got offered a higher price than someone living in a less affluent zip code.

Fortunately, I think they gave up the practice after people started noticing and complaining. (Grocery stores still employ zone pricing though!)

glenn-k

Wish they still had that policy - I should get my books free since I am "In the hole" (in the ground).

Here is one I ordered the other day -  Homework-Handbuilt Shelter by Lloyd Kahn  and the Amazon review:

Editorial Reviews
Product Description:
Building on the enormous success of the original Shelter, Lloyd Kahn continues his odyssey of finding and exploring the most magnificent and unusual hand-built houses in existence. Among the intriguing domiciles described in Home Work are a Japanese-style stilt house accessible only by a cable across a river; a stone house in a South African valley whose roof serves as a baboon trampoline; multi-level treehouses on the South China Sea; and a bottle house in the Nevada desert. Over 1,500 photos illustrate various innovative architectural styles and natural building materials that have gained popularity in the last two decades such as cob, papercrete, bamboo, adobe, strawbale, timber framing, and earthbags.

jraabe

Glenn: I'll be interested in your reivew of this. I still go back for inspiration to my tattered copy of "Shelter" (It's oversized and never fits with any of the other books—that does make it easy to find  :-/)

glenn kangiser

It should be here in a week or so-- the pics on Amazon were amazin' ;D

I will be sure to update you - it really looks and sounds great.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

Daddymem

A Little House of My Own: 47 Grand Designs for 47 Tiny Houses by Lester Walker

Amazon ~$16 some online pages.  
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Amanda_931

Be a little careful with that book if you already have, apparently, either Tiny Houses or even Tiny Tiny Houses

A lot of the material has been recycled among the three.

That said.  I love Tiny Houses the one of those that I have.

glenn kangiser

Four of my books already arrived - Ordered the 23d rec'd the 25th at the cheap USPS rate (free shipping through Amazon special).

I'll start with

Home Work - Handbuilt Shelter by Lloyd Kahn since John requested it.  

This book is a sequel to Kahn's 1973 book "Shelter". Another large oversized book, it is a book that you won't be able to put down.  The book claims some 1100 photos and over 300 drawings all illustrating shelters of one type or another that are built by hand.  Most of the pictures are in color featuring some of the best photography you will ever see.

This book has helped me to realize that I like vernacular architecture - not the kind that comes in a box, but the kinds of homes and buildings people make using the materials they have around them without professional help - or is it-   ???  The rest of the world knows about this type of building and much of it has been there for  a thousand years or more.

Hippy vans, naked builders, Flying Concrete, Timolandia, ferrocement houses, natural houses, unnatural houses, earth houses, boat houses, tree houses, fantasy houses, a greenhouse built out of old car windshields-- more great houses and buildings than you could ever imagine, simply because many  of these places are beyond imagination.  This is inspiring me to go finish my secret room so I can show everybody.

There are things in this book that are guaranteed to inspire you to do something weird just because they are so interesting looking.  Okay - then I'll guarantee that they will inspire me to do something weird. What's new? :-/

At any rate, if you are looking for inspiration and want to get away from the cookie cutter look, want something different, or just want to look at pictures because you can't read, then I highly recommend that you get this book.  You won't be sorry.

Looking at the price I paid at Amazon -$17.79 I couldn't believe it -list on the back is $26.95.  It would have been a bargain at the high price. ;D

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Thanks for the Great Review Glenn!

You should be writing for the New York Times Review of Books.

We (the royal we) are honored that you share with us your pearls of wisdom.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the compliment, John.  I re-read the review myself to see what I write like when I'm half asleep, and have to admit I was near to ordering the book again.  ;D

I will post the review of my next book here after looking at the pictures - everyone knows I can't read. :)

John Raabe

I'm going to add Glenn's review of this to the books link page.

I've also found that Lloyd Kahn has a great website and online newsletter where he writes up his adventures. Here is a link (with some great pictures) on hiking and visiting small cabins in Colorado:

http://www.shelterpub.com/_lloyd/gimme_nov-04.A.html

Amanda_931

Shelters Shacks and Shanties by Dan Beard.

I've always loved this book.  I (and my mother before me) grew up on Dan Beard and Ernest Thompson Seton.

He has a vertical log cabin that looks like a bank I put it in down at the bottom of the page.

It's out of copyright so at least four publishers have reprinted it.  Down below I've put a site that has some of the book in it.

Including Lloyd Kahn

http://www.shelterpub.com/_shelter/sss_intro.html

Amazon sells one (with a new introduction!)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558219528/104-3912253-9893536?v=glance

dirtcheapbuilder has one:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dirtcheapbuilderbooks/shelshacands1.html

Lee Valley Tools has a large selection of classic reprints including this:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=40962&cat=1,46096,46100

++++++++++++++

And at the bottom of this page, there are selections from the book.

http://www.inquiry.net/

Here's the vertical log cabin that looks like a bank:

Chuckca

I have a book to add and recommend.....!

"Country Wisdom and Know-How" everything you need to know to live off the land.....!  It's the size of a large road atlas and 480 pages (news print style)

Available from COSTCO item# 835624 $12.49

ISBN 1-57912-368-6

:)

John Raabe

This looks interesting.

Here is a link to it at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/6bsg2

This was also mentioned in Lloyd Kahn's "Home Work" book as a good resource.

glenn-k

This book is one of the best on Vernacular architecture.  The cover photo only hints at the photographic wealth contained inside.

After spending a long time looking through it at my cabin, my father-in-law stated, "There is no reason anyone should ever have to sleep outside."  After you check out the stunning photography by Yoshio Komatsu, you will have to agree.  It is a building course by itself.

If you study this book from cover to cover-(you won't be able to stop) and you are ever in a situation where you need a shelter to insure your survival, and you can't build one after taking in all this knowledge-- well - the gene pool is probably better off without you anyway!!

Okay - enough kidding around- seriously now, this book is one that will not disappoint you.

Look for it and more at the Amazon link on John's book page below.

http://www.countryplans.com/books.html

spinnm

The Steens are into everything....bale, adobe, cob, plaster, B&B, books....everything...down in Cochise Co, AZ

http://www.caneloproject.com/

spinnm

I just went back and looked some more at the web site....which I hadn't been on in a while.

I love the way these people get their outbuildings and B&B cottages built and charge people to do it. :D

How do I get a job like that?

glenn-k

It's a good plan if you can make it work.  I find lots of interest - most don't want to pay for the knowledge- some are willing to trade work for it.  Guess I'll have to reach farther to find the type of people they do.

I have their Straw Bale House Book also. It's another good book with quite a bit of plaster information in it.

Today I am putting in a septic system for some friends who are building a straw bale house in the near future.  I will probably assist some.

conohawk

Here's a new book that really struck a resonating chord:

The House That Jill Built

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1586854593/qid=1116613719/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-6667397-3080669

A major goal of the book is to inspire women to build their own houses.  Several different women and their projects are presented.   The photographs are excellent.   Most of the women have interesting stories to tell -- about how they came to build -- about what they have learned from the experience.

I'm a guy, so I'm not exactly in the target audience. But, my own small but growing skill-set is similar to many of the profiled builders.   I am also not a burly fellow, able to easily heft 3/4" sheets of plywood as though it was cardboard.    

The reason I bought the book, is that many of the houses have been crafted in ways that reflect what I hope to accomplish with my own project.   These houses underline the great advantages to being an owner-builder:   the ability to build exactly what you want, with as much detail and quality as your time and skill-set will allow.