Forum "Jumpy" when formatting posts.

Started by PEG688, August 15, 2009, 10:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

I'll toss this out there so we can see if anyone other than Beaver's and I are having issues with formatting posts.

About four good sized sentences into writing a post my screen will no longer "stay ahead " with  vacant space , if I make space as soon as I start typing the space goes away and my typing is right at the very bottom , in fact so far down you only see it as it "jumps up" into view as each letter is typed.

This is the only place,  Country Plans,  that I have his issue. I think it would happen in all the sub topic forums , although I generally only post in the top two sections.

It should start the jumping any time now.

I have PM -ed both Glenn and Mtn. Don about this and they had not heard of this issue .

So this is a general request to see if it is isolated to just a few or a couple of people.

This is the first line of jumpy type , if that helps finding out what the issue is . Maybe It's  just telling me the post is to long  ;)

Thanks in advance  if you can sort this out.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

I still don't have the issue, PEG.  What Browser are you using? 

Firefox has big issues hogging memory and needs to be reloaded every half hour or so especially if viewing videos.  I don't know if there are other issues.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Internet Explorer is that the browser? I tried FF about 2 years ago it work for one week or less then locked up or some thing like that on me. I went back ti EI.

Wonder what one Beavers uses?   

Beavers

Glenn,

I'm using IE8 with Vista.  When I get a few lines into a post every time I type a letter it quickly flashes that letter and jumps back up a few lines to where the "jumping" started.  I can scroll back down to the last letter I typed and as soon as I hit a key again it jumps back up.  Once you get into jump mode you just get a very quick flash of each letter you type.
On this line it starts jumping and after each letter I type it jumps back up and all I see is the 10.

glenn kangiser

Are you both using Vista?  I'm using XP

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Yes - Internet Explorer is the Browser.

I use XP with Firefox (another Browser) and reload often -- close it and restart it every half hour or so.  I open about 30 tabs at a time - (one tab per web page) so I have it all there by clicking a tab to go to it instantly.

Beavers

I've posted here on other computers using Vista and didn't have this problem.  I think that was with IE7 though.  Like Peg I haven't noticed this trouble on other forums.   ???

PEG688

XP for me , same laptop you looked at down in Lake Tahoe, the lid hinges are both cracked so it's more a "Flop top " these days. :D

But other than that  she cherry/  still works fine, well except for this issue.    ??? 

But if it was computer related I'd think it would do it on my email , and on Wooden Boat forum , but it's only a issue on C/P's.

rick91351

Mine works great, my desk top is a Mac.  My lap top is Vista, I use Firefox on both.  I however use IE on the lap top from time to time and am starting to really like Chrome as well.  The Mac does real good with Firefox, I am not a fan of Safari the Mac Browser.  I use the lap top some at home but mostly in the hotel that I stay at in LaGrande, Oregon and some up at the ranch.  No issues but then I am sort of sloooow myself.

c*

rlr   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rwanders

I use Vista Premium and Firefox without any problems at all------how do you hold your mouth?
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Mike 870

I have had this problem.  But only when there is a picture with my post.  I just tried to duplicate the problem now, and couldn't do it.  I am using internet explorer with Windows XP.

Don_P

I loaded IE8 a few weeks ago and had trouble with it and went back to IE7, seem to be surfing ok again. Are you guys using IE7 or 8? I think I've got a bug in the works or a compatibility clash going on though too. The computer is getting stupid, it has forgotten it has a cd drive so part of my trouble is internal I'm pretty sure.

diyfrank

Home is where you make it

MountainDon

XP & Firefox. I do not seem to have the multiple tabs open = the need to restart FF frequently, though.

As I mentioned to PEG in the PM I have had a jumping problem at times. What solves it or me is to click the mouse wheel to put the scrolling into "mouse position" mode, or whatever MS calls that, and then click it again to revert to the normal mode. But that didn't help PEG.

??? ???

It may be a combination of several things that have to come together all at once. Perhaps the other forums that do not have the problem use different forum software.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on August 16, 2009, 03:22:47 PM

As I mentioned to PEG in the PM I have had a jumping problem at times. What solves it or me is to click the mouse wheel to put the scrolling into "mouse position" mode, or whatever MS calls that, and then click it again to revert to the normal mode.

But that didn't help PEG.

Ohhhhhhhh this is gonna sting but I forgot to try that d* d* d*

??? ???

It may be a combination of several things that have to come together all at once. Perhaps the other forums that do not have the problem use different forum software.

But I just did and all it does is move the whole page up , this block where I type still jumps back down and makes the page bounce like it's doing now! Maybe it's the IE 8 thing!!!!!!!!!!!! d* d*  

Beavers

I uninstalled IE8 and that fixed the Jumping problem.   [cool]

IE8 doesn't show up in the program list, you have to click on "View Installed Updates", and then you can uninstall it.  Took me a minute to figure that out.  ???

PEG688

pandaman

Hi all. Been lurking on the forums for some time and while I am a house building newbie I have over 10 years experience in the IT field. Mostly on the front lines as a technician but also as a highly paid corporate instructor.(not bragging I just know my stuff)  IE 8 seems to cause a number of problems, some of which make absolutely no sense to me.  Just the other day I had to uninstall it from a friends laptop as it caused his audio recording/editing software to stop loading.  Scratch your head on that one....  ???

Suffice to say I would recommend Firefox or even IE 7 over 8 for the time being.  I've also take Google Chrome for a spin on my XP machine and it works fairly well.
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone." -Henry David Thoreau

http://allroadsleadtodog.wordpress.com/

glenn kangiser

Daddymem was wary of Chrome as he feels Google has enough info recorded on all of our private lives already without giving them a direct line into our computer.... [waiting]  :)

pandaman

Quote from: glenn kangiser on August 16, 2009, 11:53:48 PM
Daddymem was wary of Chrome as he feels Google has enough info recorded on all of our private lives already without giving them a direct line into our computer.... [waiting]  :)

Remember Google's motto though, "Don't be evil". Surly if we can't trust the huge corporations, who can we trust??  ::)
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone." -Henry David Thoreau

http://allroadsleadtodog.wordpress.com/

glenn kangiser